Author Topic: Inline brake cable adjuster  (Read 1215 times)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
Inline brake cable adjuster
« on: 16 September, 2017, 03:30:04 pm »
Am I missing a bit? I've got this thing:

But I can't see how it can do anything, as there's no thread anywhere, it's just a single piece (the wider bit is a rubber sleeve which can be removed).  My best guess as to how it should fit is like this:

That's cable outer from brake lever - barrel adjuster - another bit of cable outer.

In the past I carefully photographed the cable arrangement so I could put them back where they should be when fitting new ones, but my computer has died and so I can't see them, grrr.  This is also my excuse for these crap photos.   >:(
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

Re: Inline brake cable adjuster
« Reply #1 on: 16 September, 2017, 04:35:17 pm »
I think the adjuster has two halves which screw into one another; they may be seized or something. 

The cable routing looks correct, for an inline adjuster.

BTW if you are running V brakes, you can get a noodle with a barrel adjuster built in, if you don't like the inline adjuster or it is no good.

cheers

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2 on: 16 September, 2017, 09:44:08 pm »
The knurled part of the adjuster is the outer and turns around the inner, which is on the right in your first picture.

The cable outer should be a tight fit in the RH end (the inner) so that when you turn the knurled part the adjuster expands or contracts depending on which way you turn it. If this isn't happening, as Brucey said, the adjuster may be siezed. Hold the inner part with a pair of pliers and turned the knurled part anti-clockwise (from above) to undo it. If it's siezed, chuck it in an aerosol lid and submerge it in WD40, have a brew and a fag and try again. It should separate into two parts with a spring. Fill it full of grease and refit it.

If it doesn't, bin it and get another.

HTH
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

mr ben

« Reply #3 on: 17 September, 2017, 09:47:39 am »
Excellent, thanks both. They are cantis. I shall crack open the WD40 and put the kettle on.

mr ben

« Reply #4 on: 17 September, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »
Bingo. Pic of separated part in case it's of use to anyone else (or me next time). I realised the removable rubber bit's function is to prevent it rubbing on the frame.