Author Topic: First ride in weeks and it all goes Pete Tong.  (Read 2290 times)

First ride in weeks and it all goes Pete Tong.
« on: 23 October, 2017, 11:43:57 pm »
A couple of months ago I positioned my recumbent down in Portsmouth where my new office is located. Since then I’ve barely spent any time at all in Portsmouth as I always seem to be working somewhere else and living out of a holdall.

This week I’m actually at the office (well half the week anyway) and can finally get out one the bent. So after dinner this evening I swapped the Rubino Slicks for Schwalbe Supremes, my preferred all season tyre, swapped out the tube with the slow puncture, sorted out the headset and set out for a ride.

8 miles into the ride while riding along the seafront at Titchfield I get a loud bang and an instantaneous flat. Rear tyre is off the rim so I suspect that I’ve either failed to ensure it was correctly seated or I’ve over inflated, which is quite likely as I was using a mini pump without a gauge.

Anyway after swapping back to the tube with the slow puncture I thought that I’d better cut my planned ride short and head back as not only had I used my only other tube but also discovered that my repair kit was missing its vulcanising solution.

Not exactly a great ride but at least I’ve actually managed to get out on the bent.   

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: First ride in weeks and it all goes Pete Tong.
« Reply #1 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:03:48 am »
Better a bad day on the bike than a good day in the office :D

For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:09:23 am »
Dunno about that: I've had some days on the bike that I'd sooner have swapped against time in my nice warm office.

But hey, better 8 miles & safe home than a kick in the teeth.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #3 on: 24 October, 2017, 08:21:19 am »
Anyway after swapping back to the tube with the slow puncture

Not exactly a great ride ...
::-)

« Reply #4 on: 24 October, 2017, 09:51:41 am »
You had a mechanical and still got home without the need of a broom wagon, I think that counts as zero sum.  If you find summatwrong with the bike, that’s a bad ride.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #5 on: 25 October, 2017, 01:49:07 pm »
Sounds ok, bike is intact, you are intact.
Get some Park instant patches though. IME, they last longer in the toolkit than open tubes of vulcanising solution and take up almost no space.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 25 October, 2017, 03:50:51 pm »
You didn't crash or otherwise hurt yourself.

I had 9 night time punctures on an attempted 600km one weekend back in May.  Thank yourself lucky you didn't suffer that fate. I definitely swore a few times that night.

« Reply #7 on: 25 October, 2017, 06:21:53 pm »
Yes, not that bad at all really. 

9 punctures in one ride :o  What tyres are you running there Phil, just so that I know to avoid them ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 25 October, 2017, 06:33:54 pm »
Get some Park instant patches though. IME, they last longer in the toolkit than open tubes of vulcanising solution and take up almost no space.

I'll second that.  My preferred approach is an *unopened* tube of solution, but instant patches come under the "weighs little, takes up hardly any space, but may save you from having a really bad day" logic.  Might as well have a couple in there.

« Reply #9 on: 25 October, 2017, 09:26:27 pm »
9 punctures in one ride :o  What tyres are you running there Phil, just so that I know to avoid them ;)
My record is only 7 punctures in around a 5 miles stretch.
It was a minor road that I'd thought would be a short cut.
Heavy rain had washed flint shards into the road.
And on a trike you'll have at least one wheel running where car tyres don't clean the road.
So unless you're running something like M+'s, you're going pick up a few that will work their way in.
So it was a short cut that cost me a lot of time .........  :'(

Phil W

« Reply #10 on: 25 October, 2017, 11:21:42 pm »
Yes, not that bad at all really. 

Kojaks and Norfolk flints. But tyres were fairly worn and the traxk I was on was barely a road!