Author Topic: JTek 11 Lever  (Read 1537 times)

clarion

• Tyke
JTek 11 Lever
« on: 03 November, 2017, 11:56:25 am »
Of all the things which I thought might cause me difficulties in the build of my Peregrine, I never thought that I would have been defeated by the threading of a cable through a lever!

The instructions which come with the lever show the alignment of the hole as tangential to the body of the lever, but the diagram is clearly of a JTek 8, which is smaller.

It appears the JTek 11 shares the same mounting, but a different sized lever body, meaning the cable has to magically make its way round a corner just out of sight.

There is no obvious way of dismantling the lever mechanism, and I am somewhat wary of doing so.

Experience/ideas? 

Help!  :( :-[ :(
Getting there...

Re: JTek 11 Lever
« Reply #1 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:03:35 pm »
I have no experience of that particular model, but I have had problems in the past with other brands.

My solution has always been to make a cup of tea and then start prodding randomly. Eventually your cable will slide in nicely with a very satisfying result.

Hope that helps  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:06:03 pm »
Go do something else and come back to it. These things sort themselves out.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 03 November, 2017, 12:15:33 pm »
If it's anything like making a cable go round a corner out of sight on a twist shifter, the trick seems to be to put a slight kink about 1cm from the end of the cable, feed it with a twisting motion, and harsh language.

« Reply #4 on: 03 November, 2017, 01:56:30 pm »
a suggested route that might work for you;

1) move the lever until it is mid-stroke
2) feed the cable through the hole in the lever and pull it through
3) put a kink in the end as per a suggestion above
4) thread the cable through the hole in the shifter body

hth

cheers

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #5 on: 03 November, 2017, 02:01:32 pm »
With the 8 sped it was challenging. In fact I returned one as faulty only to have the same apparent fault with its replacement. A quick call to Planet X service department put me right.

I may be very wrong but I seem to remember that it had to be in a specific gear for the hole to line up. You could try running through the different gears and see if you can see a clear path? Think it was one in the middle

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2017, 10:13:17 am »
Some good advice there.  I will have another go (probably tonight) and report back :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 08 November, 2017, 11:31:05 am »
If it's anything like making a cable go round a corner out of sight on a twist shifter, the trick seems to be to put a slight kink about 1cm from the end of the cable, feed it with a twisting motion, and harsh language.
WINNER!!

Yes, a small kink did the trick :)
Getting there...

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #8 on: 08 November, 2017, 11:55:45 am »
Having a kink always goes down well :demon:

clarion

• Tyke