Author Topic: Mile Failte 2018  (Read 4150 times)

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
Mile Failte 2018
« on: 06 November, 2017, 04:23:13 pm »
The website is up, and accepting pre-registrations (actual handing-over-cash registration from Dec. 1st.)

https://www.mf1200.com/

BeMoreMike

• Tries often, fails frequently.
Re: Mile Failte 2018
« Reply #1 on: 06 November, 2017, 05:16:09 pm »
I was thinking how good this looks....until I saw 300 euros !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 06 November, 2017, 05:18:40 pm »
Having ridden the first Mile Failte, that is excellent value for money, unless you prefer sleeping in ditches and living off the land. I don't.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #3 on: 06 November, 2017, 06:05:22 pm »
Looks good to me. Now should i ride it?

« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2017, 06:32:15 pm »
Looks attractive, but checking at how the 1200km distance is 'split up' - returning to the nice hotel [Edit: hostel] being used Start/Arrivee/central 'sleeping' control - I was going to say "nightly" but probably better to say 'once a day'.
The first 'A' in FAQs says "It will run over three days beginning on Mid-Summers Day – Saturday, June 23rd 2018 at 06.00 hrs and finishing 90 hours later on the following Tuesday, June 27th." The route suggests day splits of 371km, 365km, 349km and 124km.
Since the start is at 0600 Saturday, the date/time to complete by is midnight on Tuesday 27 June (required minimum speed = 13.33kph).
For the full value rider (and the climbing will mean this applies to a fair proportion of the field) this implies (assuming (say) 16kph daytime average riding and, say, 4 hours sleep stop), sleeping 0510-0910 on the Sunday morning, sleeping 0800-1200 on the Monday morning, and sleeping 1000-1400 on the Tuesday, with 124km to finish off by midnight (at 16kph, with 100 minutes in hand).

« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2017, 06:36:57 pm »
Mandatory helmet and hi viz jacket. Is that normal in Ireland?? And do they mean jacket (as in sleeves). And is this also during the day???

John

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #6 on: 06 November, 2017, 06:37:54 pm »
Makes you realise just how much value-for-money LEL was, being a day longer and including food at all controls.

Still, registered my interest. My cycling (touring) "career" started in Ireland almost two decades ago and it would be nice to ride there again. Only trouble: so many nice brevets in 2018!

BeMoreMike

« Reply #7 on: 06 November, 2017, 07:16:49 pm »
Having ridden the first Mile Failte, that is excellent value for money, unless you prefer sleeping in ditches and living off the land. I don't.

Sleeping in ditches and living off the land = no facilities provided at all = free event ?

Is 100 euros BnB & evening meal per night in a Youth Hostel excellent value ? Other than this and a lift to the local station or Airport it doesn't look like much else is provided for the money.

Compared to something like LEL, this is exorbitant (LEL is probably pitched at just about the right level and is affordable to anyone that wants it).
I would guess it's been priced like this on the assumption that with very limited numbers it will sell out, so charge as much as possible to the select few are willing to pay.

If BCM charged £140 and only provided the control at Dolgellau would that be considered value ?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 06 November, 2017, 07:26:46 pm »
Let's wait and see, shall we? The organiser did a good job last time.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 06 November, 2017, 07:43:23 pm »

Since the start is at 0600 Saturday, the date/time to complete by is midnight on Tuesday 27 June (required minimum speed = 13.33kph).
For the full value rider (and the climbing will mean this applies to a fair proportion of the field) this implies (assuming (say) 16kph daytime average riding and, say, 4 hours sleep stop), sleeping 0510-0910 on the Sunday morning, sleeping 0800-1200 on the Monday morning, and sleeping 1000-1400 on the Tuesday, with 124km to finish off by midnight (at 16kph, with 100 minutes in hand).
Yup, that looks really rubbish for the likes of me. Not keen on paying 100euro to sleep from 0800-1200! :(

I might manage a little faster than 16kph, but covering 730km before the 2nd night is a big ask.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

BeMoreMike

« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2017, 07:47:40 pm »
Let's wait and see, shall we? The organiser did a good job last time.

I have no doubt they will this time too, and that it'll be an excellent event, godspeed to everyone who takes part.
Of course, the organiser has the right to charge as much as they want regardless of how much it costs to arrange something like this.

It's a niche event with limited numbers, I just hope pricing of this scale doesn't become accepted and filter down through the levels. IMO it feels very un-Audax.

Having said all that...if value wasn't always a consideration of mine, i'd be first in the line to sign up for it !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2017, 08:04:12 pm »
Audax is a lot of things, not just wringing every penny out of a pound.

rottenhat

• Audax Irlande
    • Audax Ireland
« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2017, 08:52:25 pm »
I would guess it's been priced like this on the assumption that with very limited numbers it will sell out, so charge as much as possible to the select few are willing to pay.

I would guess that it's been priced like this because that's the cost of accommodating 120 people in one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country during high season. Keep in mind that, in general, things cost significantly more in Ireland than they do in the UK.

It's been a few years since I was involved in Audax Ireland but we always took the not-for-profit aspect of audax seriously, and I doubt that has changed.

BeMoreMike

« Reply #13 on: 06 November, 2017, 10:37:46 pm »
Audax is a lot of things, not just wringing every penny out of a pound.

:thumbsup: It's a broad church with something for everyone. Cycling can cost you as much or as little as you want.

I would guess that it's been priced like this because that's the cost of accommodating 120 people in one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country during high season. Keep in mind that, in general, things cost significantly more in Ireland than they do in the UK.

It's been a few years since I was involved in Audax Ireland but we always took the not-for-profit aspect of audax seriously, and I doubt that has changed.

120 x 300 = 36 grand. Hostel accommodation approx 20 euros in a dorm per night in peak season.

I know i'm over simplifying it, there must be lots of hidden costs and no event would ever plan to run at a loss.
No one would begrudge any hardworking organiser a few beers / pub lunch / new conservatory / round the world cruise, from any surplus. 

« Reply #14 on: 07 November, 2017, 12:51:24 am »
Costs in Audax are an interesting area for discussion, but it's unfair to focus on one event.

I'd see Mile Failte as a flagship event, seeking to reciprocate the standards of PBP and LEL. So it's going to come in at the pricing level of those rides. Audax Ireland members probably won't make up the  field, as they'll be taking on the work, much as AUK members did on LEL.

Once a ride becomes a 'destination event', the cost becomes only part of a larger spend, with travel dwarfing entry. It becomes more important to provide a consistent level of service. A higher entry fee then provides some reassurance.

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #15 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:23:01 am »
From the looks of it they booked the entire hostel for five nights (June 22 onwards).

Would be nice if they could work out the AAA points for this ride with the AUK AAA secretary, earning some points is always a nice incentive for a flatlander like me ;-)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #16 on: 07 November, 2017, 09:30:27 am »
AAA is AUK-only; nothing to do with ACP or LRM. Why would a foreign-homologated ride ever earn you AAA points?

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #17 on: 07 November, 2017, 10:18:15 am »
AAA is AUK-only; nothing to do with ACP or LRM. Why would a foreign-homologated ride ever earn you AAA points?

If its an LRM event then the rider can claim recognition of the event for AUK awards using established processes.

On that basis it would seem entirely reasonable (and compliant with AUK policy regarding supporting riders in achieving their goals) for the event to be eligible for AAA points.

However...  the obligation is on the rider to provide a copy of the route gpc / his ride gpx as appropriate to assist the AAA Secretary.

Think of it as part and  parcel of making a claim for an overseas event.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 07 November, 2017, 11:31:41 am »
I know i'm over simplifying it, there must be lots of hidden costs and no event would ever plan to run at a loss.
No one would begrudge any hardworking organiser a few beers / pub lunch / new conservatory / round the world cruise, from any surplus.

Last time there were some secret controls at strategically located village halls. Those sorts of things aren't free and were very well-appreciated by the riders. Not running on the smell of an oily rag gives organisers (and riders) a lot more flexibility if things don't go entirely to plan.

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #19 on: 07 November, 2017, 12:42:34 pm »
Looks attractive, but checking at how the 1200km distance is 'split up' - returning to the nice hotel being used Start/Arrivee/central 'sleeping' control - I was going to say "nightly" but probably better to say 'once a day'.
The first 'A' in FAQs says "It will run over three days beginning on Mid-Summers Day – Saturday, June 23rd 2018 at 06.00 hrs and finishing 90 hours later on the following Tuesday, June 27th." The route suggests day splits of 371km, 365km, 349km and 124km.

I won't be riding this time, as completed the first event (in about 88 hours). I do remember slowing down considerably (due to the ever-present undulations, perhaps?), so much so that I didn't have time to take advantage of the final sleep stop at all!I just had a good feed and sit down and continued on the final leg. Don't let that put you off. It's a lovely scenic route, with much to enjoy on the way.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #20 on: 07 November, 2017, 11:31:59 pm »
It's a different route to last time. Still scenic though ...

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #21 on: 08 November, 2017, 12:55:30 am »
It's a different route to last time. Still scenic though ...

Yes I had a quick look at the new route after writing the last comment...I hope the weather IS the same as last time, however - as that was glorious and DRY - unusual in such a green land.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

« Reply #22 on: 11 January, 2018, 11:04:45 pm »
Agree that price can seem a little high, but having done the Celtic Knot run by the same team a couple of years ago I'd say that they are very well run and the service provided to riders in terms of food and accommodation was very good. There was always someone ready to greet you and put some lovely grub and a welcome cuppa in your hands on arrival.

Having seen much of central and northern Eire last time I'm looking forward to exploring the south and parts of the WAW this time.