Author Topic: Good light that can work whilst connected to a powerbank  (Read 6341 times)

Re: Good light that can work whilst connected to a powerbank
« Reply #25 on: 14 November, 2017, 11:23:12 pm »
Well done!
One thing you can do is get a fresnel lens which replaces the glass in the front of the light. It makes it less dazzley for other road users and generally gives you a better beam pattern. Can't remember where I got mine from but was only a few £.

« Reply #26 on: 16 November, 2017, 05:19:43 pm »
Those Chinese lights are MagicShine copies. I use a pair of them for night mountain bike trailquests and have a Magicshine wide angle lens fitted in one angled down near the front of the bike. very effective! I got the lens of eBay although the only ones I can see on there at the moment are from the States (although still less than a fiver delivered)
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

dim

« Reply #27 on: 16 November, 2017, 08:07:41 pm »
thanks Guys.... I will get the additional lens aswell  :thumbsup:
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #28 on: 16 November, 2017, 09:55:43 pm »
5v - 12v via USB?

it must work or else they would not sell them?

this one is a stronger one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15000LM-SolarStorm-3-x-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-4-Modes-USB-Bike-Bicycle-Light-Headlamp/282480476127?hash=item41c525ffdf:g:0YsAAOSwYlRZGs8Y

says it's good for a 5V powerbank

Hmmm.  I wonder how long I could run one of those for with my Easyacc 12000 powerbank?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 16 November, 2017, 10:58:55 pm »
Hmmm.  I wonder how long I could run one of those for with my Easyacc 12000 powerbank?

Unhelpfully, it doesn't specify a current.

If your powerbank isn't lying about its capacity, you'll probably get about 8000mAh from it.  But it's unlikely to deliver more than 2.4A on a port, so that's 3.3 hours of runtime at full load.

The Cree XM-L T6 datasheet specifies a maximum current of 3A, with a typical forward voltage of 3.35V, which should give about 1000lumens, assuming decent cooling.  That's about 2A at 5V, assuming no losses in the buck converter (which there will be).  And the light has three of them.

From which I conclude the spec sheet is telling porkies about the brightness (or at least taking some over-driven flash mode to inflate the numbers).

dim

« Reply #30 on: 17 November, 2017, 10:28:41 am »
I have a few powerbanks, but the largest is the RAVPower 26800 Battery Charger 26800mAh Portable Charger :

https://www.ravpower.com/26800mah-external-battery-charger-iSmart2.0-black.html

one of these will/should supply enough power for several nights without having to recharge

on a side note though, I will also be buying one of these for when I do long audax rides that require riding through the night and will use the cheap chinese light aswell as the Ravemen:

Ravemen PR1200 USB Rechargeable DuaLens Front Light:

http://road.cc/content/review/221409-ravemen-pr1200-usb-rechargeable-dualens-front-light

(I have Chris King Hubs and don't want to change the front hub for a dynamo hub)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #31 on: 17 November, 2017, 10:44:58 am »
Afterwards it occurred to me that I should have simply blocked the path and forced him to either stop or go out into the road.
That's what I do, or ostentatiously hold up an arm to cover my eyes and head straight for him.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #32 on: 17 November, 2017, 11:58:12 am »
I don't  see a  reason to not do what a driver must legally do:
have a good dipped beam* for use against oncoming traffic (may of course require slowing to fit within range), and use main beam when no such traffic. I don't see any reason for cyclists behaving differently given they now have access to a similar amount of lumens.

Except that often the drivers don't do that. The number of morons I've seen driving round Kent with their main beams on even when I'm driving a motor vehicle towards them is worrying.

I used to cycle 30-65km to college down dark country lanes in Kent. Often I'd see someone driving towards me on main beam, they would spot my light, dip their beam, and then, a second or 2 later, having realised that I'm a bike, flip back to main beam and blind me. I used to have an extra 300lm of light I could activate in this situation to drive the point home.

Many modern car lights are just offensive and operated by idiots.

Many modern bike lights can also be offensive and some operators are morons. However generally I think they tend to be less of an issue than a couple of portable suns strapped to 2 tons of high speed steel...

Dipping ones head does't seem very precise and one would only need to briefly forget and ouch to the oncomer....

*eg a good Stzvo battery lamp on handlebars mounted so as brightest part beam dipped a few degrees below horizontal, just like a car dipped headlamp.

Going from cycling in Kent to cycling in Amsterdam, I had to change my bike lighting strategy. My lights for Kentish lanes are just down right obnoxious going through Vondelpark. I still have the Hope Vision 1 on the front (and the bracket for the 300lm boosting LED Lenser P7.2), but I rarely use it. Instead I have a Smart 1/2W led on the strap of my backpack, and the red version attached on the back of the pack[1]. But even these are obnoxious in flashy mode.

I just wish more Amsterdam bikes had working lights[2].

J

[1] I actually had one of these knicked while I was cycling along. Fortunately by a work colleague who had caught up with me and found the light in blinky mode was obnoxious. I set it back to constant and she reattached it at the next set of lights. 

[2] Riding home in the rain the other night, I saw a dog with lights round it's collar, but couldn't see the human. Had to take a guess at which side the lead went, and hope not to garrote myself on the lead. Human was completely dark. I found it interesting they had lit the dog up, but not themselves[3].

[3] On the same ride a pair of police horses went by complete with riders. Not having any real light beam on the bike, their reflective bits didn't reflect anything. Their florescent didn't work in the absence of any UV, and the only way they stood out in the missle was the green LED power indicators on their radios and ear pieces.

--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #33 on: 17 November, 2017, 12:03:07 pm »
I haven’t used a head torch on a bicycle, but I encountered several of them while driving at night in the south of England last Christmas (I’d never seen them in France). The first encounter was memorable: I came around a bend in light fog and saw a cyclist with a head lamp and a bicycle lamp. Well, I didn’t see the cyclist, only the lamps in a strange and dancing configuration, and for a moment I had no idea what I was looking at, where it was on the road, or how I should react. Of course both lamps were dazzlingly bright as they usually are with the sort of cyclist who imagines more light to be safer, so neither could I see much of the road.

Driving down a country road not far from the Germany border in Gelderland, I saw what I thought was a car coming towards me. Two lights, the right distance apart. Getting closer. Then the distance between the lights got narrower. My brain told me this car was now going away from me... in reverse...

As I got closer the 2 cyclists waved at me as I drove past slowly... Was an interesting trick of the brain...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 17 November, 2017, 02:33:44 pm »

[2] Riding home in the rain the other night, I saw a dog with lights round it's collar, but couldn't see the human. Had to take a guess at which side the lead went, and hope not to garrote myself on the lead. Human was completely dark. I found it interesting they had lit the dog up, but not themselves[3].

[3] On the same ride a pair of police horses went by complete with riders. Not having any real light beam on the bike, their reflective bits didn't reflect anything. Their florescent didn't work in the absence of any UV, and the only way they stood out in the missle was the green LED power indicators on their radios and ear pieces.
You see quite a bit of that here in Englandland as well. Occasionally it looks like a bike light (because it probably is) but way too low. While other dog walkers are lit up like space ships. And then you get the runners, running towards you but with red lights on their heads.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 17 November, 2017, 02:44:42 pm »
Driving down a country road not far from the Germany border in Gelderland, I saw what I thought was a car coming towards me. Two lights, the right distance apart. Getting closer. Then the distance between the lights got narrower. My brain told me this car was now going away from me... in reverse...

As I got closer the 2 cyclists waved at me as I drove past slowly... Was an interesting trick of the brain...

I've been on the cyclist side of that one.  Riding two-abreast with someone with the same front light and suddenly drivers started massively overestimating our speed.

« Reply #36 on: 07 December, 2017, 12:06:06 am »

You see quite a bit of that here in Englandland as well. Occasionally it looks like a bike light (because it probably is) but way too low. While other dog walkers are lit up like space ships. And then you get the runners, running towards you but with red lights on their heads.

When I run with a light it's for me to see by, so it's white and bright and on my head. Not magic shine laser bright though and it self dips when someone shines a light back at it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #37 on: 11 December, 2017, 06:58:13 pm »
I suspect forrard-facing red lights are popular with trail runners (cos red doesn't affect your night-vision so much, and the threat from other living things is much lower down the ladder-of-risks).

Hopefully such folk will be aware of how hazardous this tactic is around "road users".
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #38 on: 11 December, 2017, 09:08:25 pm »
I run a humble AXA Echo 30 lux front lamp on my commuter bike and often get moaned at by passing cyclists along the towpath commute that my light is too bright which is pretty ironic as often the complainers are running much brighter and unfocused lights than mine.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas