Author Topic: Not-so-Schiit Audio on a budget  (Read 1085 times)

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Not-so-Schiit Audio on a budget
« on: 10 November, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »
After buying a reasonable pair of budget headphones the other year (Grado SR80i), I have been interested in what difference a dedicated headphone amp might make over the socket on a 30 year-old Rotel integrated amp. The answer, it seems, is a fair bit. (Well, duh, as you might well say.)

Schiit Audio (yes, pronounced like that) have produced quite a number of headphone amps, primarily for use with their DACs and using computers / iPhones as a music source. But over the last few years they developed the Magni head-amp series of which the latest (Magni 3) has pre-outs as well, so it can act as a pre-amp using the tape in/out connections on hifi amps; I had two sets of interconnects after getting rid of a tape player, so no further cash required. Schiit also have a philosophy of building in the US (so great, apparently) and keeping prices down as much as possible. So at £110, and after weeks of reading YACF-like arguments on HeadFi & other forums, I bought one this week & got it today.

Blimey. So much more resolution of details, but not bright (the Grados seem bright-ish anyway); a bit like the difference between a good print of an oil painting against the original oil itself. I sat this evening with a gormless smile at anything I listened to on headphones. As a pre-amp the difference is not quite so great, but noticeable and rather good. It's about instrument timbre & recording room ambiance, really; much more involving for the listener.

It's a small box and obviously built to a price, but the money seems to be spent in the right places inside (I know absolutely nothing about this, only the sounds that emerge down the line). Really pleased. All I have to do now is work my way through my records & CDs again for a few years.

Re: Not-so-Schiit Audio on a budget
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2017, 09:47:14 pm »
With a gimmicky name like that, I wouldn't have anything to do with them just out of principle.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
Re: Not-so-Schiit Audio on a budget
« Reply #2 on: 12 November, 2017, 12:20:27 pm »
Fair enough, hubner. It seems the two guys running it spent years designing high end stuff but became disillusioned with the industry, and decided to build their own how they liked. Silly names seem to be part of that (like some bike companies & breweries), but my ears seem not to care. Each thing I listen too is just freshly bloody marvelous, so I am inordinately happy with it.