Author Topic: Compensation for CPU flaws  (Read 1974 times)

Compensation for CPU flaws
« on: 04 January, 2018, 11:07:41 pm »
I wonder if there will be claims for significant recompense/costs associated with American/UK CPU flaws?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Re: Compensation for CPU flaws
« Reply #1 on: 05 January, 2018, 09:02:47 am »
Allowed a W10 upgrade yesterday and now no longer have USB port 'G'!  It's called 'I' today..

Why 'I' man?
Move Faster and Bake Things

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #2 on: 05 January, 2018, 10:43:45 am »
Allowed a W10 upgrade yesterday and now no longer have USB port 'G'!  It's called 'I' today..

Why 'I' man?
Should be in the crap jokes thread.  :)
There's no vibrations, but wait.

ian

« Reply #3 on: 05 January, 2018, 10:44:21 am »
I sure there will be a class action, but then there's a class action suit for everything, it being America, the land of competitive litigation.

I'm not sure there's any implied guarantee of performance with any processor and benchmarks only measure performance for those specific tasks being benchmarked. Of course, unless you're running servers, a few per cent here and there make no difference. Macs, it seems, were patched a while back and no one noticed.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #4 on: 05 January, 2018, 01:33:51 pm »
Macs, it seems, were patched a while back and no one noticed.
For Meltdown in December. They haven't done Spectre yet.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 05 January, 2018, 01:58:21 pm »
Wot ian said.  Unless you're rejibbling large video files the CPU of a halfway decent Proper Computer doesn't do much work.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #6 on: 05 January, 2018, 03:48:48 pm »
Wot ian said.  Unless you're rejibbling large video files the CPU of a halfway decent Proper Computer doesn't do much work.

Ah.  That'll be me, then, with my hideous pile of Avid Airspeed/ISIS/NEXIS and Isilon.  Oh, and all of Next Door* too.

*Next Door being the BBC.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

ian

« Reply #7 on: 05 January, 2018, 06:09:53 pm »
Well, my multi-million line spreadsheets and semi-sentient formula still take the same amount of time to recalculate. A long time.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 05 January, 2018, 06:59:59 pm »
Anything doing virtualisation or a lot of IO (think: web servers) is likely to suffer.

Desktop not so much.

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2018, 10:50:08 pm »
Well, there's a surprise...

Quote from: El Graun
Three separate class-action lawsuits have been filed by plaintiffs in California, Oregon and Indiana seeking compensation, with more expected. All three cite the security vulnerability and Intel’s delay in public disclosure from when it was first notified by researchers of the flaws in June. Intel said in a statement it “can confirm it is aware of the class actions but as these proceedings are ongoing, it would be inappropriate to comment”.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jan/05/intel-class-action-lawsuits-meltdown-spectre-bugs-computer
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

ian

« Reply #10 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:06:13 pm »
It seems pointless if there's no implied guarantee of a certain performance level, but then most class action suits are little more than speculative and the plaintiffs have to prove some kind of financial damage (which might work if you're running a server farm, less so if you're updating your Facebook). Apple claim their mitigation had minimal performance impact (there'll be some when they fix the issue with Safari but then Safari is so fast these days it's often loaded a web page before I've thought to go there).

Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.