Author Topic: Looking for help from someone in the Salisbury/Winchester/Andover area  (Read 2148 times)

We are in the early stages of planning a series of day rides over a Bank Holiday Weekend in the triangle formed by those cities/towns.  I was wondering if there might be a forum member who lives in the area that could help out with suggestions for routes and tea/lunch stops.

We are happy to do the actual planning - suggestions and recommendations are all that we would like.

Thanks in advance

Russell

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: Looking for help from someone in the Salisbury/Winchester/Andover area
« Reply #1 on: 25 January, 2018, 10:48:54 am »
There are some routes at various distances on the Winchester CTC website. Their recent "Watership Down" ride started from Winchester and was a great route. 

http://www.winchesterctc.org.uk/local-rides

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/18-29/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:13:24 am »
Thanks Mr Box.  There are 2 routes in and out of Winchester that look as though I can adapt, in fact the Salisbury one is close to one I was imagining as it passes by the campsite we have in mind.

Looking at the direction of Watership Down from Winchester I'm not sure it will pass through the area we are considering.  The campsite is close to Salisbury.  Happy though to look at it - thanks.

R

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:18:48 am »
Also, not sure how much distance you want to do but there is a 200km Perm "Round the Plain" which runs through Salisbury:

http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/PL01/
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #4 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:52:25 am »
2 rides of about 45ml and 1 of 25-30ml.  With refreshment stops of course!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 25 January, 2018, 04:47:48 pm »
My Sister is in the New Forest, if you're still looking for ideas, I can ask if she'd be happy to offer suggestions - she is more of a mountain biker though.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 25 January, 2018, 04:57:43 pm »
I used to live in the area but before I really cycled but my parents are still there so I have some knowledge

Depends where exactly you'll be staying? The area between Salisbury and Andover isn't great in my view, but there's some fantastic cycling North West of Andover.

« Reply #7 on: 25 January, 2018, 10:30:31 pm »
The Kings Head in Salisbury is popular Audax haunt offering standard Wetherspoons fare
The Friar Tuck in Amesbury is also popular with cyclist, good for a Greasy Spoon breakfast

Other places I've been to and would recomend:
Cholderton Rare Breeds Farm Cafe
The Cathedral Refectory in Winchester
Various nice cafes in Stockbridge

« Reply #8 on: 25 January, 2018, 11:28:10 pm »
If Stockbridge and/or the Test Valley heading over towards the edge of the New Forest are within range, you may find some useful tips in the Test Valley Pootle thread from a few years back: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=80534.0

« Reply #9 on: 26 January, 2018, 12:47:36 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm working my way through them.  Nikki, that is the area we're looking at although based a little closer to Salisbury.

but there's some fantastic cycling North West of Andover.
That'll be the Vale of Pewsey.  We did that 4 years ago!

The area between Salisbury and Andover isn't great in my view

That's not good to hear.  Although we haven't been to to the area yet apart from a weekend staying near Micheldever/Sutton Scotney a year ago.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2018, 01:22:37 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm working my way through them.  Nikki, that is the area we're looking at although based a little closer to Salisbury.

but there's some fantastic cycling North West of Andover.
That'll be the Vale of Pewsey.  We did that 4 years ago!

Was thinking a little South and East of there: the Newbury - Malborough - Andover "triangle", but we may just have different views on where the Vale of Pewsey is :)