Author Topic: Oh god I'm old!  (Read 4863 times)

Oh god I'm old!
« on: 02 February, 2018, 10:57:41 am »
Someone posted this on twitter today:

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Guy

• Retired
Re: Oh god I'm old!
« Reply #1 on: 02 February, 2018, 11:48:38 am »
 ??? ???

I've got a recording of the Foden Motor Works Band playing Pixies Parade, but I don't think they mutilated anybody
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

ian

« Reply #2 on: 02 February, 2018, 12:51:37 pm »
I don't think math works unless Lucy's mum was really young when she did the deed (Doolittle was released in 1989). I may just have Friday brain though.

But yes, old anyway. Nineteen-eighty-fucking-nine. The Pixies did come back, though tbh they were a bit shit and shouldn't have bothered. I saw them live, you know (shut up grandad!)

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 02 February, 2018, 01:40:56 pm »
Last night my son (10) took part in a huge kid's concert at the O2 - about 8,000 primary school children singing with various performers and a six-piece band.  They've been rehearsing for weeks and, setting aside all my cynicism about these things, they did a great job and clearly had a fabulous evening.

The choice of songs was varied, ranging from the theme to The Flintstones to something by Ed Sheeran, whom I've never heard but I gather is a character from The Hobbit.  However, the most cringeworthy moment for me was when the Blue Peter style presenter chirruped something along the lines of:

"Now, mums and dads, here's something nostalgic especially for you" and the band and choir promptly launched into a medley of songs from the 1990s.

Did I feel old, or what?
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

ian

« Reply #4 on: 02 February, 2018, 02:24:01 pm »
This then, will make you feel old.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 02 February, 2018, 03:01:59 pm »
Last night my son (10) took part in a huge kid's concert at the O2 - about 8,000 primary school children singing with various performers and a six-piece band.  They've been rehearsing for weeks and, setting aside all my cynicism about these things, they did a great job and clearly had a fabulous evening.

The choice of songs was varied, ranging from the theme to The Flintstones to something by Ed Sheeran, whom I've never heard but I gather is a character from The Hobbit.  However, the most cringeworthy moment for me was when the Blue Peter style presenter chirruped something along the lines of:

"Now, mums and dads, here's something nostalgic especially for you" and the band and choir promptly launched into a medley of songs from the 1990s.

Did I feel old, or what?
Cringeworthy for certain, but what decade should they have picked, assuming they'd made up their minds to indulge in something so hideous as forced nostalgia?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #6 on: 02 February, 2018, 03:13:57 pm »
Grandfathers who are younger than me. My paternal grandfather was born over a hundred years before I was.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: 02 February, 2018, 03:16:37 pm »
Forget about Policemen.....Judges have started to look young.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 02 February, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
Grandfathers who are younger than me. My paternal grandfather was born over a hundred years before I was.

One of my brothers and both of my brothers-in-law are grandfathers. They are all younger than me.

My own grandparents were mostly born around 60 years before I was, which is not unusual.

Mum's youngest brother has progeny born 90 years after grandparents thobut.

« Reply #9 on: 02 February, 2018, 08:59:11 pm »
I'm sure I've done this one before, but my great-grandfather was born before the Battle of Waterloo.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #10 on: 02 February, 2018, 09:14:28 pm »
I'm sure I've done this one before, but my great-grandfather was born before the Battle of Waterloo.

Wow you must have old Dads in your family.

Waterloo 1815 so:

Born 1815 had kids at say 50 which would be 1865 then your Grandad had kids at 50 which would be 1915 and say your dad was 50 when he had you in 1965. Must be something like that.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #11 on: 02 February, 2018, 09:24:59 pm »

« Reply #12 on: 02 February, 2018, 09:38:09 pm »
On the subject of grandparents...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattSmethurst/status/950907467097100290

Dang, ninja'd. Good thing I checked and what you posted was what I thought it was. ;D
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #13 on: 02 February, 2018, 09:38:33 pm »

Wow you must have old Dads in your family.

Waterloo 1815 so:

Born 1815 had kids at say 50 which would be 1865 then your Grandad had kids at 50 which would be 1915 and say your dad was 50 when he had you in 1965. Must be something like that.
Great grandaddy apparently had 15 children, after the age of 65. I think my granddad was the last of those. He had five children, with a gap of 21 years from first to last, and my mum was the youngest. My mum wasn't especially old when she had me in '62.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 03 February, 2018, 09:06:24 am »
There are people who've been working at our place long enough to be the same grade as me, but they weren't born when I started here.

One rule of thumb I heard for "old" is when you've been in full time work for more than half your life.  That was over six years ago.  If it's just working at all, I've been doing that for two-thirds of my life.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

JennyB

• Old enough to know better
« Reply #15 on: 03 February, 2018, 10:45:30 am »

Great grandaddy apparently had 15 children, after the age of 65. I think my granddad was the last of those. He had five children, with a gap of 21 years from first to last, and my mum was the youngest. My mum wasn't especially old when she had me in '62.

My great-grandfather was born the same year (he lived to 1915), grandfather in 1855, father in 1910, me in 1956. I have something in common with my great-grandfather, or so my aunt once told me. He used to walk with his hands clasped behind his back. Dad copied him when he was young, and I copied Dad at about the same age.

This generation business can get very confusing. Dad had a half-cousin who was about 30 years older than him. Her great-granddaughter has a teenager.
Jennifer - Walker of hills

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #16 on: 03 February, 2018, 11:01:44 am »
I was once nattering to an Old Guy at Wickford Chess Club who had been playing one of my more promising protégés. The Old Guy said he too had been playing chess when he was as young as that (under 10), and had also played on Old Guy. We worked out that his two opponents' dates of birth were approximately 160 years apart.

When I was very small I went to a concert in which the sponsor (Robert Mayer) appeared on stage afterwards. I recently found out that when he was young he played a piece of Brahms. In front of the composer.

Back to chess for a moment. I have a "Morphy Number" of 4. Paul Morphy, at the time the greatest player ever, had a career that spanned only about 3 years in the 1850s. Born in New Orleans, he came to Europe, beat all the best players, went home, went mad and died.

Paul Morphy played Henry Bird (Morphy Number 1)
Bird played Jacques Mieses (MN2)
Mieses played Leonard Barden (MN3)
Leonard Barden played me (MN4).

Barden is one of about a dozen surviving players with a MN of 3.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #17 on: 03 February, 2018, 06:45:39 pm »
I've got some 4th cousins at no remove who are 40 years older than I am.  Their branch all sprogged at about 29 whereas mine sprogged at about 39 year intervals.  Over 4 generations it adds up to a 40 year age gap (approx).

One rule of thumb I heard for "old" is when you've been in full time work for more than half your life.  That was over six years ago.  If it's just working at all, I've been doing that for two-thirds of my life.
bzzt! only applies to folks who didn't go part time to spend more time with the little dears (which impacts their pension, promotion etc)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #18 on: 03 February, 2018, 08:56:46 pm »
I've got some 4th cousins at no remove who are 40 years older than I am.  Their branch all sprogged at about 29 whereas mine sprogged at about 39 year intervals.  Over 4 generations it adds up to a 40 year age gap (approx).

bzzt! only applies to folks who didn't go part time to spend more time with the little dears (which impacts their pension, promotion etc)

My first cousins are over 30 years younger than me and the same age as my younger sister's kids.

There's nearly a 30 year span between my parents' grandchildren's ages.

ian

« Reply #19 on: 04 February, 2018, 06:21:03 pm »
I've no idea what nth cousins are. One of the benefits of pikeydom is that you really have enough first cousins not to worry about the additional n+1th cousins (my mother, for instance, has 12 brothers and sisters, and I reckon I had at least 40 cousins just from that side of the family).

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:25:00 pm »
Mum says several people of our acquaintance have died recently. I pointed out many were nearer to my age than hers, which was worrying.

« Reply #21 on: 04 February, 2018, 10:24:02 pm »
My maternal grandmother, who died when I was 16, was 12 when the Wright Brothers first got airborne. 

In other news, I saw The Who live in Reading in 1971.

« Reply #22 on: 05 February, 2018, 04:12:07 am »
On my recent birthday I was twice as old as the number of years I worked at my longest job. 
2^^5 x 2 = 2^^6

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #23 on: 05 February, 2018, 07:01:46 am »

Did I feel old, or what?
We did that the week before, in the Manchester Arena - my job as IT technician in one of my sites has accidentally encompassed the role of choir helper for the last couple of years, due to the SmallestCub attending that school and being in the choir, which has meant working late some weeks to account for skipping half an hour or so of work to go to rehearsals.  That medley made me comment in rehearsal that it was way after my time...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24 on: 05 February, 2018, 07:11:25 am »
There are people who've been working at our place long enough to be the same grade as me, but they weren't born when I started here.

By that measure, I become old this year, that'll confirm what my daughter already thinks.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens