Author Topic: Faire la retraite en France ? ( retiring over there)  (Read 3163 times)

meddyg

• 'You'll have had your tea?'
Faire la retraite en France ? ( retiring over there)
« on: 03 February, 2018, 07:11:32 pm »
I notice several YACFers reside in France but am interested as  Francophile/Europhile (OU Diploma in French & years of
twinning engagements - some with a Romilly-sur-Seine cycling club) how it it is and how it's going to be.

Specifically cycling (well that's what we do !) Has it been easy to muscle in to a club that does 'our sort of cycling' ?
I was a member of FFCT for a few years and even did a week's tour with them near Frejus - they tend to want to see your membership card before you can ride - n'est-ce pas?  Or maybe Warm Showers is the route in .

Location is obviously significant - well somewhere that's warmer and drier than Fishguard where we've had 3 very wet and windy winters!
Enjoyed holidays along the Med coast at Agde, Bormes-les-Mimosas etc. May go and visit Champagne-en-Vigny (Charente) which is twinned with a local village
Also done a TEFL course in retirement so I could volunteer to go into a school
for English practice.

My wife's working on her Irish passport entitlement - this might improve residency/health care access. Who knows?

Retirement = Retraite en français

Ruhestand = 'place of peace' auf Deutsch

Jublacion = en Espagnol

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Faire la retraite en France ? ( retiring over there)
« Reply #1 on: 04 February, 2018, 08:46:43 am »
Three problems:

1. Thanks to a bunch of xenophobic morons, you will soon no longer have the right to retire to an EU country.  You have to meet whatever conditions the French government chooses to impose for economically inactive residents (this may be a minimum annual pension, a minimum investment in French property, or they may just say non if you're not going to work).

2. You're at the mercy of the exchange rate, which could be a problem if we end up with an economy like Albania after Brexit.

3. No-one knows what will happen with reciprocal healthcare.

I wanted to retire to Austria but the Brexidiots have ruined that one.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #2 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:32:01 am »
Dunno. RZ above sums it up.

We bought a place in the Limousin in 2005 when the exchange rate was knocking on 1.45 euros/£.

It's taken 12 years hard graft to make it habitable just in time for Brexit ???

Our British neighbours have taken the hint and are moving back to Norwich - they rented. 

It's well over 18 months since the referendum and our government are still an utter shambles over the matter.  The opposition likewise.

Que faire?  (I am learning better French as fast as I can!)

However with your language ability and a good attitude I think you will manage but I'd go for French citizenship if I were in your shoes, no messing about, just cut loose from Brexit Britain.

Cycling club? The least of my worries!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #3 on: 04 February, 2018, 11:42:35 am »
Don't forget that we have our bunch of xenophobic morons and IMHO that should influence the location you choose as they aren't spread evenly in the country.

In short you should stay west and avoid the NE and the SE with some exception (some part of the alps).

Chief cat entertainer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 04 February, 2018, 01:18:38 pm »
Ah go on, the NE is fine.  This'll be our 30th year in the Bas-Rhin.

@meddyg, the reason they ask to see your FFCT licence is that it includes insurance cover.  If you aren't a member it costs 2€ more to do a given event, since the club's FFCT membership includes a fee for insuring non-members.

FWIW, my in-laws retired here in 1989 and had no problems. It was a bit fiddly, though - IIRC they had to visit the French embassy in London for a medical and apply for residence permits, since this was before the Schengen Convention.  Later on, of course, they were told they didn't need residence permits any more.

Lord knows what'll happen after Brexit, but if you can show evidence of regular income I doubt if you'd have any trouble getting a permit - after all, having an income for the state to tax is what they really want.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #5 on: 04 February, 2018, 02:06:43 pm »

We bought a place in the Limousin in 2005 when the exchange rate was knocking on 1.45 euros/£.

So did we - whereabouts are you?

Not many weeks now to Easter and two weeks in the peace and tranquility.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #6 on: 04 February, 2018, 04:37:05 pm »

Bas Rhin is East not North East... I am sure that you can survive in one of those areas these are just not the best areas to be a foreigner.
Chief cat entertainer.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 05 February, 2018, 08:42:48 am »

Bas Rhin is East not North East... I am sure that you can survive in one of those areas these are just not the best areas to be a foreigner.

That must be why these ignorant French fools call it le Nord-Est on the radio.  I'm sure they'll be glad of the correction.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nord-Est

« Reply #8 on: 05 February, 2018, 11:56:28 am »
My parents-in-law moved back from France a few years ago. They enjoyed living their, but decided that they didn't enjoy communicating with medical people given their not brilliant French. One thing they said was that people assumed that the house they owned in France would have accumulated value; not so, French house prices, particularly in rural areas, seem to be fairly static. So they bought and sold at pretty much the same price.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #9 on: 05 February, 2018, 12:45:04 pm »

That must be why these ignorant French fools call it le Nord-Est on the radio.  I'm sure they'll be glad of the correction.

I hadn't realised that the "Est" was now part of the "Nord est" with the new administrative regions.
Chief cat entertainer.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #10 on: 05 February, 2018, 12:52:59 pm »
I just returned from a property viewing near Perigueux.

I'd like to move there to run a small, pension top-up, Gites business.

I think I have a year to do it.  I'd just have to rely on reciprocal agreements that, if you're in then you can stay in.  Risky tho but.

I know for sure that the paperwork won't get any less AFTER formal Brexit.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #11 on: 05 February, 2018, 01:21:51 pm »
My parents-in-law moved back from France a few years ago. They enjoyed living their, but decided that they didn't enjoy communicating with medical people given their not brilliant French. One thing they said was that people assumed that the house they owned in France would have accumulated value; not so, French house prices, particularly in rural areas, seem to be fairly static. So they bought and sold at pretty much the same price.

My neighbour spoke no French at all.  He got by through cunning use of Google Translate.  Used to hold conversations via laptop.  I find that the younger locals tend to speak quite a bit of English if they choose but I always try French for as long as possible!

Brits we know have made the mistake of buying too much and then overdoing the development.  Then however nice a property it is, they ain't going to get their money back. Especially if they set a price to fund their chosen property purchase back in the UK. 

For many, going back is very difficult.

So did we - whereabouts are you?

Not many weeks now to Easter and two weeks in the peace and tranquility.

About 40 km s. of Limoges. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12 on: 05 February, 2018, 01:37:01 pm »

I hadn't realised that the "Est" was now part of the "Nord est" with the new administrative regions.

The Bas-Rhin was the Nord-Est anyway.  I know that we get the weather promised the Nord-Est, while the Jura and the Alps get that promised the Est.

FWIW the "Grand Est" is a piece of nonsense. Lumping Alsace into a region that is mostly separated from it by a mountain range, and even has several different laws is plain rubbish, not to mention the acrimony caused by dissolving several FFCT leagues and cobbling them into one. Same goes for the FFC and umpteen other sports. Arseholery, pure & applied.

« Reply #13 on: 05 February, 2018, 05:15:22 pm »

About 40 km s. of Limoges.

OK, Our place is about 40km NE of Limoges.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #14 on: 05 February, 2018, 05:17:05 pm »
One thing they said was that people assumed that the house they owned in France would have accumulated value; not so, French house prices, particularly in rural areas, seem to be fairly static. So they bought and sold at pretty much the same price.

How refreshingly sensible.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #15 on: 05 February, 2018, 05:52:07 pm »
My parents were looking to sell up when they became essentially house bound. I was having trouble persuading my mum that they wouldn't be able to afford the cost of even basic living in the urban south east of England. The valuation of their French property settled it - since buying twenty plus years earlier, adding three bedrooms, two bathrooms and re-roofing both buildings the value had increased by almost exactly the rate of inflation.

Life is far more sensible here for the moment - it is just very difficult to go back.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2018, 06:21:14 pm »
I’ve long harboured ambitions of retiring to SW France or northern Spain. I fear that brexit has probably scuppered those ambitions.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2018, 06:27:39 pm »
We always gaze at property prices in France and think well, we could, couldn't we? We couldn't up sticks entirely and retirement is currently set to a few years after I die.

Of course, because the UK property market is mental, an investment in French property probably isn't the most pragmatic. Plus we're conscious that the rural dream is best appreciated from a distance. I'm not sure we could hold out in rural Kent without going a bit off our trolleys so used to the bright lights are we. It's a nice dream though.

Well, it was.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #18 on: 05 February, 2018, 07:01:25 pm »

The Bas-Rhin was the Nord-Est anyway.  I know that we get the weather promised the Nord-Est, while the Jura and the Alps get that promised the Est.

FWIW the "Grand Est" is a piece of nonsense. Lumping Alsace into a region that is mostly separated from it by a mountain range, and even has several different laws is plain rubbish, not to mention the acrimony caused by dissolving several FFCT leagues and cobbling them into one. Same goes for the FFC and umpteen other sports. Arseholery, pure & applied.

Yes, it was a technocratic move, here in Brittany we wanted to be reunited with Nantes this is something that we constantly asked for in the past 30 years and at the end, they didn't do it.

Alsace is far away from us so you probably know better than me....
Chief cat entertainer.

Samuel D

« Reply #19 on: 06 February, 2018, 12:02:33 am »
Brexit in whatever form it eventually takes (and my bet is fluffy soft) cannot reverse globalisation. I wouldn’t let Brexit get in the way of living somewhere you like, short of straight-up illegality.

As for things like house prices here or there, etc. – what odds, really? Get what you can afford and do the same if you move back to the UK. It astounds me how many people let these hidebound notions determine their existence as if the size of their house had any bearing on their quality of life. Moving country is a great opportunity to reappraise what you stand for in life. Don’t be timid in that assessment.

On the whole, France is a pleasant place to live. I live in Paris but have toured the country by Vespa and stayed in many towns, villages, and backwaters for a day or a week. The biggest struggle is work, but retirement neatly takes care of that. Healthcare is good and easy and light on bureaucracy. (Running a business is another matter. Maybe Macron will yet improve that.)

Roger Hicks, a well-known British writer on photography who has lived in France for years, has a fun piece on Universal Basic Income that coincidently describes the semi-abandoned villages of France. I could imagine living in many of these places now that they have good internet. I think I could be happy living frugally, working on something significant, learning the local history, maybe joining a church, cycling unknown roads, and going into Paris now and then to catch up on old friends and the art expos.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #20 on: 06 February, 2018, 08:35:53 am »
I wouldn't mind getting to Paris now and then, but everyone I knew there has gone.  I used to work in the 12e, which was very pleasant 40 years ago.  Last time I was back the exhaust fumes were lying over the streets like fog and the traffic was horrendous.  We're out in the sticks here in Northern Alsace, but at least the air is clean - and the cycling is wonderful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21 on: 06 February, 2018, 09:14:43 am »
It strikes me that retirement is the wrong time to live abroad. It should be done when you're young enough to be excited by the abroadness and to appreciate the local girls'/boys' amusement at your accent, exoticness and struggles to master the local lingo (though I guess none of that applies in France, Spain and the common retirement places). More practically, appearing in a French village as Retired English Persons is surely going to leave as Retired English Persons for the rest of your life, whereas working there then retiring on reaching the appropriate age leaves you as Retired Persons Who Originally Came From England. That's quite a difference.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 06 February, 2018, 04:57:56 pm »
Many things in life would be better done backwards.

Ob-xkcd:

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #23 on: 06 February, 2018, 05:19:12 pm »
It strikes me that retirement is the wrong time to live abroad. It should be done when you're young enough to be excited by the abroadness and to appreciate the local girls'/boys' amusement at your accent, exoticness and struggles to master the local lingo (though I guess none of that applies in France, Spain and the common retirement places). More practically, appearing in a French village as Retired English Persons is surely going to leave as Retired English Persons for the rest of your life, whereas working there then retiring on reaching the appropriate age leaves you as Retired Persons Who Originally Came From England. That's quite a difference.

Excellent point. It's one of the reasons we'll probably never move elsewhere in France. Around here everyone knows we've been here 30 years and we fit in. If we move elsewhere, even having French nationality, we'll just be two more UK immigrants.

An alternative, of course, would be to find one of those enclaves in the Dordogne (pronounced -oyne of course) where almost everyone is British, or to join an English community in a big town and all pine together for Marks & Sparks.