Author Topic: Disc brakes in the pro peloton  (Read 13416 times)

Re: Disc brakes in the pro peloton
« Reply #75 on: 22 May, 2018, 10:48:15 pm »
They did used to have dual pivot front and single pivot rear. Font know if they still do.

I've never owned a bike with Delta brakes, just know of the reputation for shittness and difficulty of servicing.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #76 on: 22 May, 2018, 11:33:55 pm »
I used the Delta and worked on them. Reputations get exaggerated by smartarses. The only difficulty was getting the 3.5mm Allen key for the cable anchor bolt.

The single pivot model I'm referring to was well before dual pivots were created.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #77 on: 23 May, 2018, 06:18:48 am »
I used the Delta and worked on them. Reputations get exaggerated by smartarses. The only difficulty was getting the 3.5mm Allen key for the cable anchor bolt.

The single pivot model I'm referring to was well before dual pivots were created.

Jobst Brant was a notable critic, from a design point of view, but also because he heard sponsored pros were abandoning them after finding them dangerous.

See:   http://yarchive.net/bike/brake_leverage.html

It isn't a design that lasted long.

« Reply #78 on: 23 May, 2018, 06:21:02 am »
On my mechanical (cable) BB7s that's an issue but not on my full hydraulics.

I've previously only used bb7s, going up to hydraulic currently. Hoping for the best!

Switching wheels would seem to take even longer if you have to loosen them retighten bolts. I wonder how that gets done in the case of a wheel change in a race?

« Reply #79 on: 23 May, 2018, 07:09:10 am »

Switching wheels would seem to take even longer if you have to loosen them retighten bolts. I wonder how that gets done in the case of a wheel change in a race?

I saw a rider on TV with disc brakes get a bike change instead of a wheel change (in the Tour of California I think it was) looked about as quick as a normal wheel change.

« Reply #80 on: 23 May, 2018, 11:43:32 am »

I too still have a bike with Delta brakes and share LWB's views.  My understanding is that the thing that inhibited their take up by pro teams was that they were too difficult and complex to work on while hanging out of a team car.  They were heavier.  And, of course, equipment sponsors didn't have the commercial clout they do now.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #81 on: 23 May, 2018, 02:37:36 pm »

Jobst Brant was a notable critic, from a design point of view, but also because he heard sponsored pros were abandoning them after finding them dangerous.

See:   http://yarchive.net/bike/brake_leverage.html

It isn't a design that lasted long.

I read every single piece in that archive years ago. St Jobst is right 99 times out of 100 but he isn't with this one. Variable ratio brakes have worked satisfactorily on bikes and still do, when properly adjusted. Every single low profile cantilever brake and early roller cam brakes have a variable ratio.

Modolo's Kronos brake was a pure TT brake designed for zero weight and minimal frontal area and accordingly was about as efficient as Fred Flintstoning. The Delta had real power and modulation in normal use, though things went to pot if the barrel adjuster was overused to compensate for worn brake pads or too-narrow rims. You could easily tell when this happened because the arms didn't line up with the cover plate profile.

« Reply #82 on: 23 May, 2018, 03:30:59 pm »
Never used them so I'll take your word for it. For my money, that era of the Record C and Delta brakes were when Campagnolo equipment was almost impossibly beautiful. Especially in contrast to the Japanese stuff at the time.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #83 on: 23 May, 2018, 03:54:06 pm »
I can wholeheartedly agree with you on that.