Author Topic: Replacement chuck for a hand-cranked drill  (Read 3198 times)

Replacement chuck for a hand-cranked drill
« on: 31 March, 2018, 06:16:14 pm »
I've got a traditional hand-cranked drill. I prefer it over a power tool for simple, low-effort jobs, but the chuck has disintegrated (problem with the springs). I'd like to replace the chuck. Of course, I could buy a new drill on eBay, but where's the fun in that? And it's wasteful. If I could, I'd find new springs and rebuild the chuck...

Anyway, I've hawked it round one or two DIY chains. Wickes were especially helpful. We were able to show that a spare chuck intended for a power tool would screw onto my drill. However, the chuck was large for the drill, which unbalanced it. Looking at another major retailer, who did have some smaller chucks, it seemed that those had a smaller screw on the mount. Mine measures up at 12mm, although I think most places describe them as 13mm threads.

So, I think I'd like a small, inexpensive drill chuck that takes the larger 12/13mm mount thread. Obviously it doesn't need a chuck key, because hand drills don't put that much load on the grip of the bit.

I've browsed eBay, but it's hard to be sure what size a chuck will be in practice. I suppose the largest bit  it will take is a pretty good indication.

Any suggestions of where to look?

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
Re: Replacement chuck for a hand-cranked drill
« Reply #1 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:00:08 pm »
This is where I buy the majority of my hand tools, so I would start there, ask for Alex.

https://www.classichandtools.com

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2 on: 31 March, 2018, 08:57:22 pm »
How old is the hand drill?  If it's an old Stanley or similar, I may be able to assist.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2018, 09:11:33 pm »
IIRC it is a standard 1/2" thread for the chuck.

The typical (self tightening) chuck for these drills is simplicity itself and just needs a drop of oil (and good springs) to work virtually indefinitely.

New springs are available for the most common patterns of drill chuck, eg

http://www.johnstonestools.co.uk/acatalog/Hand_Drill_Springs.html

The above may be the ones you need.

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2018, 02:45:31 pm »
Amazing response, thanks all.

Brucey is right, of course, that these things should last forever, but need good springs. When my chuck stopped working and I took it apart, I found one good spring, one rather mangled, and one completely squashed flat. Definitely needs a new set of springs, therefore! (Or a new chuck as above, but only the springs are damaged.)

There's no manufacturer's name anywhere, nor a model number, even on the chuck. I bought it about 35 years ago in a local hardware shop that is long gone. I've measured the springs up at 14mm long by 3.5mm outside diameter. The ones in Brucey's link look good, but obviously I've no idea whether they are the same size. I'll drop a line to both suggested suppliers and ask.

Regards

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2018, 01:55:56 pm »
it occurs to me that there must be a reason for the spring manglement.  One possibility is that a drill bit with a single burr (as is commonly found on shanks of drills that have seen some treatment in a power drill)  has been used in the chuck.

Normally the jaws all grab simultaneously in a self-tightening chuck, but if there is a single burr, that could drag one jaw around whilst sliding past the other two.  This will very likely cause one of the three springs to drop out and after that all bets are off.

BTW it occurs to me that springs from the inside of retractable ballpoint pens are about the right diameter, and could be cut to length. They are probably not really stiff enough, but they might do as an interim measure though.

cheers

« Reply #6 on: 02 April, 2018, 03:24:13 pm »
Thanks for the comments. That would presumably only happen while I was tightening the chuck though, as the jaws can't move after that. It's certainly a possibility - I do recall seeing single burrs on some of my drill bits.

I did try ballpoint pen springs. They are a little too large in diameter to fit into the sockets in the jaws that take the springs.

« Reply #7 on: 02 April, 2018, 03:39:13 pm »
Try car boot sales, Little egg beater hand drills are fairly common. You could either pick up a nice replacement (i have a few lovely ones from the 50s and earlier I think) or pick up a cheap broken one or modern one to cannibalise for bits.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2018, 02:59:07 pm »
We should have a big box of drill chucks at work (the students make robots using the motors from cheap battery drills and we remove the chucks for them).

I'm already digging one out once I'm back at work next week for Polar Bear. Do you want me to dig one out for you too?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #9 on: 07 April, 2018, 09:39:06 am »
Thank you, and sorry for the slow reply. As above, I'm looking for a small chuck, but a 12/13 mm thread. Or just some chuck springs, sized as above, of course.

Thanks also to those who suggested places to buy a new drill. I will if I have to, but this is about keeping working something that is otherwise  perfectly functional, and so avoiding waste.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #10 on: 07 April, 2018, 10:59:24 am »
I'm off in the next couple of days, so I'll have a look through the boxes I've got.  There may be something you can use.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

redshift

• redshift home
« Reply #11 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:16:24 pm »
Ok, I've measured the old Stanley drills, and they have a 7/16 thread which doesn't seem to be what you need.
L
Windcheetah No. 176

« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2018, 08:04:51 am »
Completely forgot to look yesterday. Will go rummage after my cup of tea.

« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2018, 09:35:13 am »
Looks like all the chucks in the box are a 3/8" mount rather than 1/2" I'm afraid.

« Reply #14 on: 11 April, 2018, 11:11:27 pm »
Well I'm delighted to report that I ordered some spare Stanley springs from Brucey's link. They are actually a little smaller than the originals, and not as tightly wound, but they work fine. Following Brucey's strictures, I have lubricated the reassembled chuck carefully, and it's good to go :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: