Author Topic: Would I get a cycle trailer on an airline as a buggy?  (Read 1787 times)

seraphina

Would I get a cycle trailer on an airline as a buggy?
« on: 15 April, 2018, 08:44:38 am »
Hmmm. Child ticket allows two items - eg buggy, car seat. Croozer cycle trailer also sold as running buggy. Collapses to slightly smaller footprint. Not the kind of thing that I want to get to check in and be told “sorry, it ain’t going” but given all train people have straight up said no, being able to put it on a plane might expand our range a bit...

Any thoughts?

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Would I get a cycle trailer on an airline as a buggy?
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2018, 01:31:16 pm »
It obviously isn't a pram/buggy so it's going to be expensive.

Do you want to consign something so fragile (relatively speaking) to the tender mercies of baggage handlers? I wouldn't...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #2 on: 16 April, 2018, 08:12:31 am »
What are the dimensions and weight?

You will need to speak to the airline as policies vary, and get it confirmed in writing to wave at the desk.

As Torslanda says, it won't go as a buggy. So you will need to put it in a bag – buggies fly naked – and check it in as oversized luggage. The limit is usually around 20-25 kg and somewhere around 2 m in length. Some airlines will not charge as long as you don't exceed your total allowance, others charge around £25-£35 each way. You'll probably have to class it as "sports equipment" or similar.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

seraphina

« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2018, 08:23:48 am »
It’s considerably smaller than a Bugaboo Buffalo pram (enormous pram thing which some of our friends have) which has no problems going on as a checked pram/buggy. It’s shorter than our Maclaren buggy, but wider when folded. Given we’d be turning up at check in with a child in it, I would think it would be straightforward to argue it’s a buggy.

Time to call some airlines....

« Reply #4 on: 16 April, 2018, 07:18:26 pm »
Hmmm. Child ticket allows two items - eg buggy, car seat. Croozer cycle trailer also sold as running buggy. Collapses to slightly smaller footprint. Not the kind of thing that I want to get to check in and be told “sorry, it ain’t going” but given all train people have straight up said no, being able to put it on a plane might expand our range a bit...

Any thoughts?
I've taken ours on trains a few times. For a longer distance with the bike, I took the bike up the day before and locked it up so only had to manage the trailer as a buggy. Buggy and bike on your own is a bit difficult, but people are helpful.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

seraphina

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2018, 11:33:23 am »
Thanks Butterfly - we've also found people to be very helpful when travelling with clobber. Explained the situation to a nice chap on the phone at Easyjet and he said that it shouldn't be a problem if it folds, which it does. Watch this space....