Author Topic: I seem to have acquired a dog  (Read 4428 times)

I seem to have acquired a dog
« on: 16 November, 2008, 04:31:36 pm »
Longish story as to how I came to have her, but suffice to say the mutt was about to be either made homeless or put to sleep if I hadn't agreed to take her 'for a few days' (credit crunch = all shelters full to the rafters).

So a few days turned into a few weeks, and we are getting on so well that I've decided to adopt her officially. Which her old owner (who has lost her home due to various personal circs and had to move in with family who will not entertain the idea of a dog) is delighted about, because I'm very much a 'dog person'. After an unsettled first week where she was clearly not happy at being 'abandoned' with some stranger, she seems to have decided that I'll do and has settled right down into a routine.

She is part Chow and part something else - possibly Staff, she has brindle bits on her paws and muzzle. She's nine, so not exactly a spring chicken, but healthy. I will be insuring her (found several who'll insure a dog her age which is good).

Her name is Cam. Apparently she is named after some statistical computer programme by her former owner, who is a bit of a geek. Means nothing to me but she knows it, so she's obviously keeping it...

Several forummers have been to visit her already. She receives visitors with much grace, once I've assured her that they don't need to be barked at for having the temerity to knock on the door. (Round here, it is no bad thing to have a dog that 'defends' the place - protect the precious bikes against thieves!)

Some bad phone pics:

Aha, I appear to have sneaked onto the bed. Aren't I smug.

Some bastard's put me down onto the floor. Damn them.

Hmm, someone's bought me a cosy new bed. Never had one of those before...it'll do.

border-rider

Re: I seem to have acquired a dog
« Reply #1 on: 16 November, 2008, 04:46:32 pm »
Lovely :)

She looks quite elderly.  I'm glad she found a nice home.

« Reply #2 on: 16 November, 2008, 04:52:50 pm »
Thanks  :). She's grey of muzzle, but doesn't act too decrepit.

Still energetic enough to enjoy her two walks a day, does a nice line in walking on her back legs when the lead/treats appear, and then mostly sleeps the rest of the time. I add a glucosamine supplement to her food as a precaution.

JT

• Howay the lads!
    • CTC Peterborough
« Reply #3 on: 16 November, 2008, 05:00:30 pm »
Have you got any photos of her standing up?  ;D

I'm more of a cat person but she looks like a nice little dog.
a great mind thinks alike

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 16 November, 2008, 05:06:23 pm »

She doesn't really do standing up.  She's more a lay on her back and have her tummy rubbed sort of girl...

... and Cam's a bit like that too!   :P ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #5 on: 16 November, 2008, 05:20:10 pm »
I like cats and dogs, but it would seem a bit rotten to leave a dog at home by itself for 9+ hours a day.  Talisker the small black furry destroyer of things which go squeak (briefly), who I've now permanently reacquired, being a cat, is quite happy to just sleep all day.  Now he's got used to the cat flap, he can bugger off and ignore me from a distance.  Actually that's not really fair, he can get quite clingy if you leave him for a while.  When I come in, or he comes in, there will be a brief torrent of meows to announce his presence.

She certainly looks like a nice dog, and she sounds reasonably well behaved.  When I visit my brother and family, I often get to take their Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Sam, for a walk.  He's a very friendly dog, but even after they have attempted to train him, he's still not terribly obedient.  He got kicked out of the puppy training classes for being too disruptive. :-\

I can't imagine what Cam comes from, being a bit geeky myself (!) the common acronyms that come to mind are Computer Aided Manufacture, and Conditional Access Module (typically used in satellite TV systems), neither of which are exactly names I'd give a dog.  Talisker is named after the Whisky of the same name, although I always fancied getting a pair of kittens and naming them after the moons of Mars, Phobos and Diemos (ie Fear and Terror ;D)
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #6 on: 16 November, 2008, 05:45:32 pm »

She doesn't really do standing up.  She's more a lay on her back and have her tummy rubbed sort of girl...

... and Cam's a bit like that too!   :P ;D

Feck orf you.

Anyway, Cam does do standing up. It's because she's been taught to 'high five' for treats (she's originally from a pound in Chicago, came here on the pet passport scheme) and when she sees something she wants, the high five extends to tottering along on her back legs, which seem very strong for an older dog. I will try for a photo but I don't think the digi camera is fast enough unless I'm lucky.

She's pretty well behaved - rather stubborn, but so am I. Her recall is getting better depending on what other interesting things are about  :-\

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 16 November, 2008, 06:00:37 pm »
Well done you! Dogs are great company. She certainly looks at home there.

Ours is currently stretched out on a cushion, snoozing gently.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #8 on: 16 November, 2008, 08:26:56 pm »
Awww, she looks lovely.  I really like the 2nd picture. 

Looks like she has found a lovely new home  :thumbsup:

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #9 on: 18 November, 2008, 05:57:07 pm »
My parents dog is named Cam, but unlike NSTN's Cam, he's named after a feature of the Lakeland fells.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #10 on: 18 November, 2008, 06:24:18 pm »
You could claim she's named after the River Cam, which would be especially apposite if you're a Cambridge graduate.

The first photo has bicycles and a dog, how much more appropriate could you be on a cycling forum!

You need to take some more shots and bump the Gratuitous dog pics thread back up to the top.

« Reply #11 on: 19 November, 2008, 10:46:05 am »
Poor old Cam, either of the options above would be more interesting. I don't expect she cares much though.

I will try for more pics, but doesn't photograph terribly well - I may just be a proud owner, but I think she looks much nicer in real life than in any of the pics I've taken!

I think it's the over-zealous flash that's not doing her any good, so will try for an outdoors pic at the weekend. Including the elusive standing-up pic...

I groomed her last night and have enough fur to stuff a cushion now.

« Reply #12 on: 19 November, 2008, 11:49:18 am »
Poor old Cam, either of the options above would be more interesting. I don't expect she cares much though.

The main good thing about the name of a dog, is that you're not embarrassed shouting it out, when she's wandered off for a good rummage in that bush over there. ;D

I groomed her last night and have enough fur to stuff a cushion now.

LOL, time for another yacf branded item, dog hair cushions.

« Reply #13 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:06:00 pm »
It's her woolly undercoat so I don't doubt Mrs Wow could spin it into something knittable, having witnessed her spinning skills!

annie

« Reply #14 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:09:48 pm »
I have lots of soft, golden fluffy hair from one of my Goldies.  I put it out for the birds in the spring, the rest gets sucked up the hoover when I give them a going over in the morning.

« Reply #15 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:14:35 pm »
Yes, I had been thinking the birds round my way are going to be nice and cosy in the spring.

You mean you hoover your dogs?  ;D

My hoover rarely makes an appearance as the flat is all laminate. I just sweep up the fur 'tumbleweeds' that collect.

« Reply #16 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:15:42 pm »
You mean you hoover your dogs?  ;D

That's what I thought!

I'd try that with Talisker, but he hides when the machine which eats kittens makes an appearance!

annie

« Reply #17 on: 19 November, 2008, 12:47:36 pm »
Yep, I hoover my dogs.  Not every single day but frequently.  It is something that just happened over time.  They enjoy it.  I put it on a low setting so as not to suck up their bits and bobs and terrify them.

They have their nails clipped but clean their own teeth :)

« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2008, 08:50:21 pm »
Good Thing #347 about Cam:

She gets rid of unwanted visitors. Two people just knocked on the door (suspected people wot try to make you change energy supplier  :demon:) and Cam did her 'vicious beast' routine (growling and barking behind the door). She has a deep growl that makes her sound bigger than she is.

They beat a hasty retreat.  ;D None of that persistent knocking again and again that they are wont to do round here for some reason.

(She soon stops being a vicious beast once she sees me welcome someone in, but they don't know that).

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #19 on: 05 December, 2008, 11:37:00 pm »
Cam looks very much like my God-dog Arthur  :)

She's gorgeous.

« Reply #20 on: 06 December, 2008, 06:08:42 pm »
Thanks Clare. She's bootiful. Currently snoring in an unladylike fashion.

« Reply #21 on: 06 December, 2008, 06:54:20 pm »
* BentMikey is jealous.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Jasper the surreal cyclist

• Modern life is complicated stuff....
« Reply #22 on: 06 December, 2008, 08:07:36 pm »
* BentMikey is jealous.

I am sure BentMikey snores in an unladylike fashion as well......
Who only by moving can balance, only by balancing move....