Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL equipment  (Read 68257 times)

Re: Equipment, was bag drops
« Reply #125 on: 27 February, 2017, 07:34:21 pm »
I use a sol emergency bivvy 99g for £15 and reusable. They do a breathable one for £50 that weighs 50g more

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/equipment-c3/first-aid-emergency-c5/emergency-rescue-c6/heatsheets-emergency-bivy-sleeping-bag-p61

Having had my sister fall apart on top on Kidstones in the rain at 2 in the morning and struggled to get her to Kettlewell, I wouldn't be without one again. Really, we should have quit and sheltered, but it was too cold to stop, and she was too slow for me to stay warm.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #126 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:22:45 pm »
I use a sol emergency bivvy 99g for £15 and reusable.
Be aware that the use of that bag shown on its packaging is wrong and dangerous: you shouldn't lie down on the ground as you'll lose heat very quickly. You should sit on a rucksack or other insulating item to keep off the ground.
These are far better and used by mountain rescue teams: http://www.blizzardsurvival.com/section.php/6/
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #127 on: 27 February, 2017, 08:40:29 pm »
One more problem many of us from here have to encounter is that , we will be landing there from a very hot summer of 30 C avg temperature. So the affect of cold is going to be very significant.

This is probably the biggest problem even experienced randonneurs from warmer parts of the world will face.
One both PBP2015 and LEL2013 we've mostly been quite comfortable in short-sleeve jersey & shorts and not infrequently come across Asian riders who are wearing all their layers, including waterproofs and still finding it too cold.
The converse is also true, northern europeans actually start to melt above 25°C  ;)

« Reply #128 on: 27 February, 2017, 10:05:30 pm »
Not sure how helpful my experience is here- but I am a 'cold' person who gets cold very easily. As a long audax proceeds I feel colder and colder (mostly when stopped) as my thermoregulation seems to go wrong. I tend to ride the last day in leg warmers and arm warmers even if is warm- although in LEL 2013 it was so hot in daylight hours that I didn't have that problem.

I'm not sure that a warm layer is something you really want to be leaving in a bag drop. There are several nights in the ride, and you may need that kit on any or all of them no matter how far north you go. Personally I used the bag drops to store the next-to-skin layer kit that I was going to change, battery packs, inner tubes and bum cream. The warm layer went with me all the time. I think I dumped a lot in the final bag drop since it was so hot on the last day and I knew I wasn't going to need it.

« Reply #129 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:28:32 am »
I don't have any arm/leg warmers, but I can't imagine they're so bulky as to merit being left in a bag drop rather than being carried just in case.

I've had arm warmers for many years but only used them in spring/autumn - until this winter. It has been a revelation, easily the most versatile piece of kit worn under/over a base layer. I hadn't realised just how much warmth I was losing through my arms. Must be high on the all time warmth effectiveness table.

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #130 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:51:25 am »
Slightly OT I carry a small plastic ice cream tub containing tools, various spares, kitchen sink, etc. Back OT I squash a silver blanket on top which stops everything rattling, and has been used to insulate me from draughts; a vital bit of kit.

Don't stop me and expect to buy an ice cream, but I might be able to provide a gear cable!

PS ice cream tubs are also superbly waterproof, so good for a phone, etc. A bit bulky for some I'm sure, but no problem in my eponymous saddlebag  :)
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #131 on: 28 February, 2017, 10:44:03 am »
snipped ...Back OT I squash a silver blanket on top which stops everything rattling, and has been used to insulate me from draughts; a vital bit of kit.

Back off topic, anyone wrapped up in a silver blanket sleeping next to you makes it impossible to sleep. They certainly don't stop riders from rattling while they settle down. The number of controls I've had to get up and find a quieter spot due to these things of the devil is ..... well a lot. Use them in emergencies outside for sure, but inside a control?

« Reply #132 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:58:46 pm »

The lowest temperature range I can endure is 12-15 C. I might need more layers if it gets below that. 

Can I have suggestions to fine tune my plan/stratergy ?

Better plan on quite a few layers then.  ;D
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #133 on: 01 March, 2017, 02:29:29 am »
Ditto arm and leg warmers, carry them with me at all times.

« Reply #134 on: 01 March, 2017, 04:44:48 am »
One more problem many of us from here have to encounter is that , we will be landing there from a very hot summer of 30 C avg temperature. So the affect of cold is going to be very significant.

I would suggest thinking about keeping your extremities warm, thinking from the top down:

+Head: a fleece (or wool) cap or balaclava, and possibly a "showercap" helmet or head cover to keep it dry up there (your hotel might have one you could take along).
+Neck: the balaclava (again), or a "buff"; you probably won't need one of the wicking neck coolers that those of us from cooler climates use in hot weather.
+Arms: the arm warmers, and/or a long-sleeve jersey
+Hands: nitrile or other plastic "exam gloves" can be a first layer and will cut wind on your skin (and also keep grease off in the event of on-the-road mechanical issues); then, long-fingered gloves and possibly overmitts.  You want to get some insulation onto your fingers and hands and wrists, and keep it dry, without a) being too tight/restrictive (cutting off circulation) or b) too really thick and bulky.  The air between gloves and overmitts is a bit of insulation.  The exam gloves will trap sweat (if you have any), and over time make your fingers look like you have been soaking in the bathtub too long.
+Legs, Knees: Leg or knee warmers, or tights; "rain legs" (which mostly cover the front of the leg) are also effective at cutting wind exposure.
+Feet: See the other thread about booties / shoecovers.  Note that the full covers also protect your ankles from wind; the toe-only covers not so much.  Socks: be aware if too thick, might restrict toe circulation.

A piece of "Tyvek" - perhaps from a UPS/FedEx or similar mailing envelope - can be slipped between jersey and jacket for another measure of wind protection for your chest, somewhat like racers of old and the newspapers they used.

A "baselayer" tee-shirt (especially if wool) may help both with cold and hot.

Putting on new dry socks at a control, before sleeping, might help you get more rest.  Then ride on, with those socks on.

« Reply #135 on: 01 March, 2017, 09:08:13 am »
Given that the night-time is usually the coldest part of the day,particularly between 3and 5 a.m,riders who are faster will more than likely be in bed . If you are likely to be getting on the road before sunrise , or riding through the night, then some gloves will be useful.The thickness of glove depends on how much you feel the cold.
 In summer,I can usually get away with either thin liner gloves or a single layer, non windproofed glove.

If ,like Mileater, you are really going to feel the cold, then look at a lightweight,insulated gilet, such as the Rab Microlight gilet or the Alpkit Filoment and make sure you have a saddlebag big enough to carry it.
Neither are particularly bulky and when worn under a rain jacket will keep your body core warm.
A merino wool baselayer (www.howies.co.uk) will double the insulation.
As ESL says above, the long descents can be your undoing,especially if you are sweating at the top of the climb, so stop at the top and put on the extra layers before you get cold.

redfalo

• known as Olaf in the real world
    • Cycling Intelligence
« Reply #136 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:50:31 pm »
What Madcow says.

A few more thoughts: Starting again after a longer rest in the cold is particularily unpleasant, as the body cools down during the break and it can take quite a while to "re-heat" sweaty base layers (I sweat quite a lot, even in cold nights...) The issue is reduced by a Merino base layers, which keeps warm(er) even when wet.  But what works best for me on longer winter rides is the following procedure: carry a spare base layer. First thing when arriving at a control where I want to stop longer is replace the base layer I'm wearing with the dry one.

Another reason to have a spare base layer on board is the risk of rain. If you get really soaked, trying to get sleep wearing wet clothes can be tricky. Same goes for a spare pair of socks, plus Gore Tex socks to use them in wet shoes. A couple of spare buffs (which can double up as a hat to keep the head warm)  and a spare pair of gloves (putting wet gloves on after a break is super-annoying) also do no harm.

If you can't convince, confuse.

https://cycling-intelligence.com/ - my blog on cycling, long distances and short ones

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #137 on: 02 March, 2017, 04:10:25 pm »
I'm extremely thankful for the suggestions that have flown in here. They will help me in planning more sensibly.

I have already ordered a Merino base layer ..( tough it is , while struggling arrange funds for trip )

I'm yet to acquire gloves ( for protection in cold) and a proper rain jacket. I survived with a basic one from Decathlon all these days. Seems like,it will will not hold good there.

Any opinions on Poncho just for rain protection ?
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #138 on: 02 March, 2017, 04:19:28 pm »
I hate ponchos. Not only they will horribly slow you down in windy areas, but they tend to get caught into wheels, chains, etc., sometimes with catastrophic consequences. A snugly fit rain jacket is the right tool for the job.

« Reply #139 on: 02 March, 2017, 04:28:15 pm »
I hate ponchos. Not only they will horribly slow you down in windy areas, but they tend to get caught into wheels, chains, etc., sometimes with catastrophic consequences. A snugly fit rain jacket is the right tool for the job.

+1 on all that !

« Reply #140 on: 02 March, 2017, 05:42:02 pm »
I tried a poncho once.

I use some waterproof knee length shorts (Endura - not sure which stye) over my lycra shorts if it starts raining. It stops the rain from draining straight off my jacket into my lap, but gives far better air circualtion than full length waterproof overtrousers. (Also looks less quirky than rain legs - which may or may not be an advantage)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #141 on: 02 March, 2017, 06:09:12 pm »

They have their uses, but I'd suggest that most of those uses are closer to a 2 mile ride to the shops, rather than a 900 mile ride against the clock.  The wind resistance will kill you, unless its a stonking tailwind, at which point it might technically be cheating.

For audax, it's better to be warm and wet in quick-drying fabrics.

I believe that some women cyclists put ponchos to good use in places where there really aren't any hedges to inspect, but that doesn't apply to most of the LEL route.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
Re: LEL equipment
« Reply #142 on: 02 March, 2017, 07:42:51 pm »
Once upon a time I decided that, as it was dark and the road quiet, a hedge was not required.  Naturally at this point along comes a baker's van (or somesuch).  Who goes past, clocks person apparently sprawled and a not-upright bike and so stops, and reverses, and stick his head out of the window to see if I am OK.   :-[
I've filed it under 'I'd be glad for that to happen if I really did need help'.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #143 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:46:38 pm »
I went to a lecture by Josie Dew many years back and she said she only carried a poncho for the emergency toilet situation and had a very similar situation where someone stopped to help while she pretended to fix her bike and ....!

« Reply #144 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:47:54 pm »
I'm extremely thankful for the suggestions that have flown in here. They will help me in planning more sensibly.

I have already ordered a Merino base layer ..( tough it is , while struggling arrange funds for trip )

I'm yet to acquire gloves ( for protection in cold) and a proper rain jacket. I survived with a basic one from Decathlon all these days. Seems like,it will will not hold good there.

Mile Cruncher, put a post in the "Wanted " thread in Classified. You might be surprised at what fellow YACFers have hiding in their wardrobes. I am sure someone could help and get it to the start for you.
 What size are you?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #145 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:49:41 pm »

For audax, it's better to be warm and wet in quick-drying fabrics.

This is true.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #146 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:43:51 am »
Mile Cruncher, put a post in the "Wanted " thread in Classified. You might be surprised at what fellow YACFers have hiding in their wardrobes. I am sure someone could help and get it to the start for you.
 What size are you?

Thank you very much. A very helpful suggestion. I'm still trying to arrange them myself. But in case I couldn't do it , I will definitely post in there. Very glad to know that people are there to lend a hand for needy.
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #147 on: 03 March, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
Decathlon equipment is widely used in the UK and I would not dismiss their rain jackets.

Gloves do not have to be special and a pair of woollen gloves under large washing up gloves will do very well for warmth and keeping dry.

You may be better off with a couple of pairs of cheaper gloves which can be swapped if one gets wet.

« Reply #148 on: 03 March, 2017, 10:25:25 am »
 What size are you?

Thank you very much. A very helpful suggestion. I'm still trying to arrange them myself. But in case I couldn't do it , I will definitely post in there. Very glad to know that people are there to lend a hand for needy.

I'd repeat madcow's question: what sort of size are you?

I'm not the only one with plenty of spare kit that I'd be happy to lend ... but it won't fit well if you're five foot six, or at all if you're six foot six ...

(The list includes a good Gore waterproof jacket, barely worn because I don't like it as much as my other one ...)

« Reply #149 on: 03 March, 2017, 10:30:34 am »
I wondered what clothing you might buy on the way. I recall a visit to Tesco in Dumfries on a Scottish Audax, where people bought gloves, thermal vesst and women's tights. The only big shop I can think of in the Northern part of the route is Tesco in Thirsk, but that's not a big branch. I wonder what they sell in the clothing line, their hours are 6am to 12pm.

There's a Lidl opposite, but you can never tell what they sell from week to week,