Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL equipment  (Read 68277 times)

Re: LEL equipment
« Reply #150 on: 03 March, 2017, 11:13:33 am »

There's a bike shop in the middle of Thirsk, not far off the route
http://www.venture.bike/clothing/

Ditto Pocklington http://www.cyclelane-ltd.co.uk/CycleLaneLimited/Home.html

Outdoor shop in Moffat  http://www.moffatoutdoors.co.uk/

On my schedule, I will be in all those places during shop opening hours.

BBC or Met office weather forecasts are pretty accurate nowadays. They will be able to predict the general weather pattern for the next 7 days.
That should help last minute planning.

« Reply #151 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:15:44 pm »
There is a bike shop in Longtown, spot on the route,  a few miles north of Brampton. We bought a new cycle computer there after ours decided to die in the middle of the ride. The chap was kind enough to fit the new computer free of charge  :thumbsup:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #152 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:37:54 pm »

BBC or Met office weather forecasts are pretty accurate nowadays. They will be able to predict the general weather pattern for the next 7 days.

:thumbsup:

This sort of info would be really useful all gathered together (ideally with opening times, as folks will pass through at all sorts of times-of-day).

The Pocklington folks were quite helpful when we ran the control there.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #153 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:13:36 pm »
I'm staggered by the people who suggest wearing washing up gloves to use as waterproof gloves on the bike.  Your hands will sweat and ultimately get very cold as they are not breathable.   Buy a pair of proper cycling windproof/waterproof gloves.  Planet X sell gloves for not too much if you don't want Rapha.  I can't believe that people who can afford the cost to enter LEL, plus all the travel and training events are so hard up that they cannot afford a decent pair of gloves  :facepalm:

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #154 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:21:48 pm »
I'm staggered by the people who suggest wearing washing up gloves to use as waterproof gloves on the bike.  Your hands will sweat and ultimately get very cold as they are not breathable.

It seems like a good bodge for those caught out in bad weather who have access to a supermarket.  I wouldn't plan on using it deliberately.

All gloves end up soaked if you cycle in them for an hour, and the rubber gloves should be admirably windproof (and therefore reasonably warm), but the lack of breathability means your hands are going to get fairly nasty if you use them for prolonged periods.

Buy a pair of proper cycling windproof/waterproof gloves.  Planet X sell gloves for not too much if you don't want Rapha.  I can't believe that people who can afford the cost to enter LEL, plus all the travel and training events are so hard up that they cannot afford a decent pair of gloves  :facepalm:

Agreed.  But I have sympathy for those from hot countries where such things are unobtanium, and weak currency makes buying them internationally an expensive gamble if they don't know what fits.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #155 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:31:42 pm »
I'm staggered by the people who suggest wearing washing up gloves to use as waterproof gloves on the bike.  Your hands will sweat and ultimately get very cold as they are not breathable.

It seems like a good bodge for those caught out in bad weather who have access to a supermarket.  I wouldn't plan on using it deliberately.

All gloves end up soaked if you cycle in them for an hour, and the rubber gloves should be admirably windproof (and therefore reasonably warm), but the lack of breathability means your hands are going to get fairly nasty if you use them for prolonged periods.

Buy a pair of proper cycling windproof/waterproof gloves.  Planet X sell gloves for not too much if you don't want Rapha.  I can't believe that people who can afford the cost to enter LEL, plus all the travel and training events are so hard up that they cannot afford a decent pair of gloves  :facepalm:

Agreed.  But I have sympathy for those from hot countries where such things are unobtanium, and weak currency makes buying them internationally an expensive gamble if they don't know what fits.
Agreed^2. To which I would just add:

there are very many VERY expensive "waterproof" gloves around that are really no more effective than the marigolds* tactic.
(If you buy stuff that doesn't have "cycling" in the name you can usually save 50%, but there is still plenty of expensive shit).

Given £40-£60, I'd rather spend it on new tyres,  some food, plus marigolds and 2 pair thin wool gloves.

*UK brand of rubber washing-up gloves - ED
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #156 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:04:22 pm »

^ This ^

I've tried a number of different waterproof gloves over the years, which have been fine for commuting and pretty bad on audax rides — they eventually wet through and then get cold, but they don't breathe well enough to dry out, so stay cold and wet even after the rain stops.  Instead I use windproof gloves and accept that my hands will get wet, but once I'm turning the big gear then I'm naturally warm, and the gloves dry in a few minutes after the rain stops.  I have a thick-ish pair for winter and a thin pair for the rest of the year.  I only wear them when it's cold — for warm and wet then I just wear normal summer fingerless gloves.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #157 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:12:44 pm »

:thumbsup:

This sort of info would be really useful all gathered together (ideally with opening times, as folks will pass through at all sorts of times-of-day).

The Pocklington folks were quite helpful when we ran the control there.

I'll add

http://www.louthcyclecentre.co.uk/

about a mile away from the control.

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #158 on: 03 March, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »
Yes, you can pay silly money for any type of outdoor gear.  Is a waterproof that costs £400 that much better than one that costs £150 ?  Probably not.

Similarly, you don't have to spend silly money on good cycling gloves.  I bought a pair of Endura Deluge gloves for £25 and have kept me comfortable on wet, cold winter rides.  I have PX insulated winter gloves that have also done the job on cold dry days, and I normally suffer with my extremities.

Yes, water will eventually get in, but they will still be a darn sight more comfortable that washing up gloves.

As I said, surely no one doing LEL is that hard up.

« Reply #159 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:42:29 pm »

As I said, surely no one doing LEL is that hard up.

People dropped out from 2001 onwards, when the price was £50, but you paid separately for food. The demise of the Thorne start pushed the price up a lot.

« Reply #160 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:53:52 pm »
Maybe washing up gloves are not great.

But they, and thin thermal gloves, are sold by most garages in the UK. A pair of thin thermals under some baggy oversized washing up gloves (lets the air circulate and reduces condensation from sweat) can keep you going when your other gloves are saturated and icy cold, or you've unaccountably lost one.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #161 on: 03 March, 2017, 04:59:22 pm »
... or you've unaccountably lost one.

Which I did on LEL2013 — I expect it's still there, on the side of the road, waiting for me to find it again ... unfortunately we don't go that way this year  :facepalm:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #162 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:00:07 pm »
Most garages have disposable gloves that you wear beneath your normal gloves to keep fingers warm. Yes, your hands can get very moist, but warm wet is nay bother, cold wet is bother. You also use the gloves for toes too by just using the palm portion of the glove inside your shoes. Cheap, cheerful and great in an emergency. Also carry some. I tend to use them between 2 pairs of thin gloves and very good for the dry cold riding too.

On a long walk multi-day walk across England many years ago my friend and I purchased 4 sliced loaves just for the bags to keep our hands warm!  Again, warm wet was far better than cold wet.

« Reply #163 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:41:02 pm »
Can't think of anything worse than wearing any type of non-breathable gloves on a long ride.

On long rides I generally carry 3 pairs of gloves, two pairs of fingerless cycling mitts (different makes that have gel pads and seams in slightly different places) and a pair of cotton inner gloves which can be worn over the top of the mitts for extra warmth. Some combination of these will keep my hands warm even if they get soaked.

The big mistake is taking wet items off and leaving them to get cold. Body heat will dry most lightweight cycling items (base layers, arm/leg warmers, mitts, cotton inner gloves, etc) in next to no time when stopped at a control, either keep them on until dry or, for gloves, stick them up the legs of your shorts. There's always a chance of a sneaky radiator or even an open fire somewhere (at a control or a separate cafe stop).

Only on really cold rides (rides encountering snow - Elenith or The Dean in 2008) I've got some Altura Waterproof gloves that haven't failed to keep my hands warm (even when they get soaked from 15+ hours or rain). They don't dry out so quickly though, so I had to swap between those and my mitts/inner-gloves with the other pair drying in a jacket pocket (using my body heat).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #164 on: 03 March, 2017, 06:12:20 pm »
Here's a vote for neoprene gloves (the Castelli version can be had for £18 at the moment). I find them the best gloves between 4C and 10C, wet or dry. Keep you very warm, and not too thick. And comfy (and not slippery) on the bars / levers. Drawback -- your hands get that neoprene pong.

« Reply #165 on: 03 March, 2017, 06:39:17 pm »
Can't think of anything worse than wearing any type of non-breathable gloves on a long ride.

I can. The pain of circulation returning to hands that have been too cold for too long, or being unable to change gear or brake, because there is no feeling or strength in your hands.

Mile Cruncher

• MileCruncher
  • 'Namastey' from Lazy randonnuer !
    • Paths and spokes
« Reply #166 on: 03 March, 2017, 07:41:18 pm »

I'd repeat madcow's question: what sort of size are you?
Five foot seven :) and Medium
I'm a randonnuer, not a racer.

https://pathsandspokes.wordpress.com/

« Reply #167 on: 04 March, 2017, 08:55:56 pm »
Neoprene gloves + silk glove liners =  :)

« Reply #168 on: 04 March, 2017, 09:22:21 pm »

I'd repeat madcow's question: what sort of size are you?
Five foot seven :) and Medium

I have a Freestyle cycling jacket in Activent that you can have for free. Breathable fabric and heavy enough for summer use.
Might have something heavier if I ask Mrs M . You are same size as she is.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #169 on: 04 March, 2017, 09:54:25 pm »
In the unlikely event that wall to wall rain is predicted for LEL I will take 4 sets of gloves ( mitts + 3 x winter gloves) and be prepared to buy some more garage gloves if necessary.

But

TBH it is a summer ride so I would imagine 2x mitts for comfort changes and 1 pair lightweight long fingered would be just fine

« Reply #170 on: 06 March, 2017, 10:51:14 am »

I can. The pain of circulation returning to hands that have been too cold for too long, or being unable to change gear or brake, because there is no feeling or strength in your hands.

Been there, done that ... and then had to pack because I couldn't carry on safely or even drink from my bidon ...

« Reply #171 on: 06 March, 2017, 11:01:49 am »

Been there, done that ... and then had to pack because I couldn't carry on safely or even drink from my bidon ...

I competed in a hedgelaying competition yesterday. It lashed it down from the start, and turned to sleet after an hour. The only way to cope with the conditions was to work flat out. I finished after three hours, with three hours left. I removed as much wet clothing as I could, then sat in the car until it stopped raining, and tidied the job up a bit. I won my class, which was bonus.

I apply the lessons I've learned from working outdoors with chainsaws to managing clothing on the bike. In extreme circumstances it can be a good idea to turn around on a hill to warm up by climbing, but misery inhibits that sort of rational thought.

The dangerous time is when it has stopped raining, as evaporative cooling starts then.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #172 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:17:35 pm »
The dangerous time is when it has stopped raining, as evaporative cooling starts then.

<pedant> I thought evaporative cooling also occurs when it's raining but the danger is increasing it by removing wind and waterproof clothing when the rain stops.

« Reply #173 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »

<pedant> I thought evaporative cooling also occurs when it's raining but the danger is increasing it by removing wind and waterproof clothing when the rain stops.

The rate of cooling will increase as the differential in humidity increases. When it's raining it's obviously 100%. Evaporation is then due to the heat input from work. When it stops raining, then wicking is the cooling effect.

It's right to point out that wind and waterproof clothing lowers the rate of evaporation, especially if it's not breathable. Neoprene can be a real culprit, as it holds water. The moment it stops raining you should change into dry gloves.

« Reply #174 on: 10 March, 2017, 11:25:32 am »
Thoughts please on double AA battery powered light options outside of the Hope 1 option? I can't justify a dynamo setup this year.