Author Topic: My cat has a hole in his ear  (Read 1973 times)

My cat has a hole in his ear
« on: 04 December, 2008, 04:49:00 pm »

Click on image for bigness

Last week, just before I took him to the vets for his checkup, I noticed that he had a cut on his ear, which had scabbed over.  I assumed that it was just a scratch, and that the scab would fall off and the ear would just heal up, but sometime yesterday the scab fell off, and it turns out that he has a small notch taken out of his ear.  It's about 5-6 mm by 2mm. :(

My parents old ginger tom had multiple scars in his ears, so I guess it's quite common with cats, but Talisker normally decides discretion is the better part of valour, ie he runs away!

He hasn't been all that keen to go out recently, but that might just be because it's cold and wet.  It may also be that he's afraid of the big bad local cat heavies. :-\
Actually, it is rocket science.

border-rider

Re: My cat has a hole in his ear
« Reply #1 on: 04 December, 2008, 04:51:06 pm »
Ah, crenelated ears.  The sign of a fighting cat  ;)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2 on: 04 December, 2008, 05:58:50 pm »
Mr Josh managed nearly 11 years of pristine ears, before a bout of pagga with Oscar the ginger tabby next door left him with a notch this summer.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3 on: 04 December, 2008, 06:09:11 pm »
Well, Talisker is somewhere between 10 and 12, and did have pristine ears up until last week.  I can't imagine he's had a fight free existence up until now, so I guess the Croydon moggies must be bigger and/or more aggressive than those in Cheltenham and Streatham.  That, or he's getting past it now!
Actually, it is rocket science.