Author Topic: What have you fettled today?  (Read 2163964 times)

Re: What have you fettled today?
« Reply #12000 on: 16 April, 2017, 01:10:49 pm »
Didn't go out with the local group due to forecast of rain, which hasn't materialised so far  :(

Instead I changed the oil in the Rohloff hub on the Moulton tandem. Supposed to be every year but with our low mileage I do it every other year, using 250ml containers of cleaning oil and lubricating oil I bought from SJS Cycles a couple of years ago. Previously only 25ml and 1 litre quantities were available, both expensive in their own way.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12001 on: 16 April, 2017, 04:43:21 pm »
Tightened the threaded headset and frame joints on the folder, haven't quite eliminated the play in the handlebar post yet, not sure if I will be able to entirely, but its much less than it was.

Just need to finish touching up the paintwork and I'll consider it in service.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12002 on: 17 April, 2017, 11:09:40 am »
Hee hee ha ha ho ho.  Our upstairs vacuum cleaner suddenly started howling horribly last year, and we couldn't see what was doing it (TBHICBA looking very far) so Mrs T. bought another.  I just found the cause - pollen filter, superfluous - and adapted it to fit my bandsaw, plumbed in so that it starts before the saw.  Parfick.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #12003 on: 17 April, 2017, 03:47:27 pm »
Today I engaged in horticulturally fettlesome destruction by molishing a space where there used to be brambles, ivy and other strangulating greenery. It was rather fun!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12004 on: 17 April, 2017, 07:05:08 pm »
One bloody thing leads to another.

Cleaning up the Audax bike after the Arrow, and I suspected the hanger was slightly bent.

But the tool wouldn't go on properly, and was always cross-threading.
So chased the threads on both the tool and the hanger.
Straightened the hanger.

Then couldn't get the mech to go back onto the hanger: looks like the threads on it needed a quick chase too.
Only you can't get the die onto it because of the b-screw plate.
So dismantle the entire upper pivot assembly to get at the threaded bolt.
Chase threads.

Then attempt to re-assemble the thing with the stupidly powerful sproing and cold fingers.

All now re-assembled and I have sore fingers.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12005 on: 17 April, 2017, 07:15:00 pm »
^^ i tend to turn the mech pivot screw anticlockwise until it clicks into a hanger, then screw it in. otherwise it's quite easy to cross-thread.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #12006 on: 17 April, 2017, 09:36:26 pm »
Yes, I do the same with most screws.

But the thread on the mech was actually slightly buggered in this case, and after chasing it out, the method you mention worked OK.

« Reply #12007 on: 17 April, 2017, 09:40:10 pm »
I've just put my lovely old Selle Italia Flite ti onto my audax bike.   It's a retro experiment with the possibility of ditching Brooks saddles.

I'll give it a workout tomorrow evening.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12008 on: 20 April, 2017, 11:21:39 am »
Just fitted a B&M Secula to complete my electrical self-sufficiency set-up ahead of the business end of the Audax season (along with the IQ-X and Igaro D1).

Since the bike doesn't have a rack or mudguards, I went for the seatstay mounting option. Hmmm. The bracket doesn't fit very snugly around the oddly shaped seatstay, feels like it could too easily be knocked sideways into the wheel, which is a concern. Could probably do with an extra layer of something between bracket and seatstay. Wondering if Sugru might be a suitable material for the job...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12009 on: 20 April, 2017, 11:30:20 am »
Assembled & put up two sets of Dexion-style shelving down the bike-fettling end of the workshop. Discovered they have lots of sharp edges, or rather my fingers did.

BTW, a while back I bought a wee Black & Decker cordless screwdriver for re-stringing guitars, and it was great for doing up the myriad** screws. Crikey, that reads like ad copy but it was anyway.

**where 1 myriad = 80 and bonjour le tendinitis doing it by hand.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #12010 on: 20 April, 2017, 01:39:22 pm »
Just fitted a B&M Secula to complete my electrical self-sufficiency set-up ahead of the business end of the Audax season (along with the IQ-X and Igaro D1).

Since the bike doesn't have a rack or mudguards, I went for the seatstay mounting option. Hmmm. The bracket doesn't fit very snugly around the oddly shaped seatstay, feels like it could too easily be knocked sideways into the wheel, which is a concern. Could probably do with an extra layer of something between bracket and seatstay. Wondering if Sugru might be a suitable material for the job...

Piece of old inner tube?  Used to do that on my aerobars when I TTd on my roadbike
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12011 on: 20 April, 2017, 01:40:24 pm »
Piece of old inner tube?

The universal thing-bracket shim.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #12012 on: 20 April, 2017, 01:58:04 pm »
Best mounted on a seatpin in my experience.   mllePB's is mounted below the saddle.

A thick booze cork (often whisky or port bottles have fat corks) sliced down the length and hollowed to roughly match the stay profile works quite well ime.   

« Reply #12013 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:00:01 pm »
I've just successfully fitted the tension bolt from a B17 titanium to my black B17 Champion Special.    As a result I can repair all three saddles and carry a spare for less than the price of having one repaired by Brooks.   

Very happy about this in so many ways.    :thumbsup:   

citoyen

« Reply #12014 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:02:36 pm »
Piece of old inner tube?  Used to do that on my aerobars when I TTd on my roadbike

Yes, that's the default option - and exactly what I use on the oddly shaped fork legs on the other bike to keep the roadracer mudguard brackets in place.

I know we've got some Sugru around the place somewhere, so I might try that if I can find it, but if not, I shall probably end up using a bit of old inner tube.

The cork option sounds interesting as well, but I can't remember the last time we had a bottle of wine with a cork in it - it's all screw tops these days.

fuzzy

« Reply #12015 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:09:36 pm »

Yes, that's the default option - and exactly what I use on the oddly shaped fork legs on the other bike to keep the roadracer mudguard brackets in place.

I know we've got some Sugru around the place somewhere, so I might try that if I can find it, but if not, I shall probably end up using a bit of old inner tube.

The cork option sounds interesting as well, but I can't remember the last time we had a bottle of wine with a cork in it - it's all screw tops these days.

What better excuse to buy another bottle of wine then?

citoyen

« Reply #12016 on: 20 April, 2017, 02:47:56 pm »

Or a large bottle of strong Belgian beer, which would be more to my taste.  :thumbsup:

fuzzy

« Reply #12017 on: 20 April, 2017, 04:33:31 pm »

Or a large bottle of strong Belgian beer, which would be more to my taste.  :thumbsup:

I am liking the cut of your jib sir :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12018 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:52:02 pm »
New front brake blocks on Mrs. Wow's Thorn. New Schwalbe Marathon on the rear wheel of my Thorn. This was a git, and just as I was about to put the new tyre on the phone rang. It was Dez's bank wanting to talk to him, and since I was fettling in the same room as he was on the phone, I wasn't in a position to release high-volume expletives, as is my wont when a new tyre meets a rim for the first time.

However, it is now up to 80psi and I think it's time to try it out before I try out the lasagne that Dez was fettling just before the phone rang.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12019 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:57:56 pm »
New front brake blocks on Mrs. Wow's Thorn.

Gosh, how did that happen?   ;D

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #12020 on: 20 April, 2017, 08:25:14 pm »
New front brake blocks on Mrs. Wow's Thorn.

Gosh, how did that happen?   ;D

I had to replace them because they were kinder low...  8)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12021 on: 27 April, 2017, 12:43:41 am »
Took the trike for a shakedown ride in the gap between sleet flurries, after months of neglect (barakta having been having too much trouble with her vision for winter cycling to appeal[1]).  The electrickery worked properly, which was reassuring, as it was last used in a monsoon.  Brakes were a bit underwhelming, but came back to a useable level with repeated hard stops.  Evil rattle from hell and minor rubbing from the general direction of the left mudguard, which needed some adjustment.  A quick fiddle with the lighting confirmed loss of standlight functionality from the left Pixeo.  On opening it up, the remaining supercap[2] had sheared its legs and was ratting free in the bottom of the light.

I was able to solder replacement legs to the stumps on the capacitor, and reattach it to the board, followed by copious amounts of hot glue by way of mechanical reinforcement.  I then did the hot glue thing to the other Pixeo - which still has both its capacitors - and, while I was at it, the rear light from my Brompton, which is an even worse example of mechanical optimism applied to electronic components in a high-vibration environment.

Re-fitting the lights, I noted that there was still some rattle, and decided to amputate the damaged mud-flap (which was hanging by a thread after rough treatment in the back of a car at some point).  That seemed to sort the worst of it out.  I also tightened the mirror mounting a little, as it was suffering from droop.

I also replaced the PSU in the m0n0wall box with a modern high-efficiency one, as it had been running on an emergency backup ancient noisy thing from the compu-tqt collection.  This actually involved a three-way rotation with the PSU in my desktop, on account of the new one lacking the splittable motherboard connector to retain compatibility with older motherboards.  My power meter suggests that's lowered the steady-state consumption by about 20W, though the power factor is worse, so it's only better by about 12VA.  Really should have got round to that sooner!

[1] It's not much fun riding with your head at headlamp height when it gets dark at 5pm.
[2] The first suffered a similar fate a couple of years ago, with failure of the spot-weld attaching the leg to the case.  I just removed it and made do with half the standlight time - it being the nearside light.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #12022 on: 27 April, 2017, 08:39:24 am »
Nowt much yet, but I did unearth and start planing a couple of lengths of African hardwood in the workshop this morning. They were part of a crate that had housed a motorbike during transport to here from Kenya, and I purloined them from the back of a barn in a property we rented 25 years ago where the previous tenant had dumped them.  This stuff looks like mahogany but is much lighter and somewhat softer - might be afromosia. Nice.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #12023 on: 28 April, 2017, 10:41:02 am »
Put a new rear light bulb in the car. In the process discovered that there is a boot light, but without a bulb.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #12024 on: 28 April, 2017, 03:09:44 pm »
Made the Renegade a couple of pounds lighter by removing the mud that I collected during last night's detour!

Whilst doing that I noticed a bit of tyre rub on the nds chainstay, shall keep an eye on it in case it is a problem or just caused by the dodgy tyre fitting I did a couple of weeks ago.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State