Author Topic: Pus  (Read 7928 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Pus
« on: 31 January, 2009, 01:07:20 am »
So a while back I had what I assumed was an in growing hair just above my knee, it sort of built up into a small black solid spot, it was very itchy so one day while scratching it got taken off, with it was a tiny bit of blood.

Since then, the area around the spot (about £2 coin size) is blackkish and slightly raised/swollen and every time I push on it, quite a fair bit of pus comes out, so keep doing it until blood starts flowing (tis what me mum used to do when we were young-something about blood being clean). Trouble is within a day the pus has built upto impressive levels again. This has been going on for a couple of weeks.

Any ideas?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: Pus
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:16:17 am »
Aye. Get to a doctor. That doesn't sound like something that's going to clear up on its own.

« Reply #2 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:18:11 am »
Indeed, if 2 weeks already and no signs of improvement, doctor + possible antibiotics (depending on his diagnosis) would seem a reasonable next step.

Is it possible that any medications your are taking could be reducing your resistance to infection? If so, do the above, but faster.

The black area is probably bruising due to pressure applied by yourself. Either that or... oh.  :-X

PS: I am not a Spot Nurse.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:24:55 am »
I don't have much of an immune system at the moment, the only anti biotric I am on at the moment is primaxin
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #4 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:25:58 am »
In that case I am sure that your doctor will also see a visit (soon) as perfectly reasonable - even as a precaution.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:27:36 am »
Thanks S :) I shall go tomorrow.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2009, 02:41:49 am »
Wakey, wakey ;D

Off you go to the Docs today as promised
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2009, 03:02:55 am »
Bit early I think, need to sleep, been 3 days without anything more than an hour.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2009, 07:34:56 am »
I had something like this after an injection that I had a reaction to. Ended up on antibiotics as my arm get busting open and pus running down it. Not very nice when you are based working in a hospital. Best to get it seen to.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2009, 07:38:35 am »
Sounds like an abcess - better get it looked at before you develop gangrene  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2009, 10:06:58 am »
At this place we term it a wound dressing. It's murder trying to hold a cat when it's being done. We have temporarily lost a few in the back of the fridge and they are very hard to get out

A few days of cleaning (that stings like hell), dressings (sigh of relief) and antibiotics should be enough. :P

Of course you have now been to  see the quack to ensure it's nothing more serious? ???

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #11 on: 31 January, 2009, 11:35:47 am »
Would anybody else like to squeeze it?  :-[
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #12 on: 31 January, 2009, 11:38:27 am »
I like all this assumption that it's possible to get to a Doctor whenever we like. I usually have to wait at least three days for an appointment at my local surgery. Is this normal in people's experience?

Hope it clears up, Sammy.

« Reply #13 on: 31 January, 2009, 11:47:48 am »
Hack your leg off with a rusty tenon saw. Douse the stump with petrol and set it alight.

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2009, 11:50:23 am »
I usually get GP appointments from same day to 3 days ahead.

NHS walk-in places can be a good alternative at the weekends Sam. 

http://www.nhs.uk/ServiceDirectories/Pages/WalkInCentre.aspx?id=YDC39

« Reply #15 on: 31 January, 2009, 12:02:55 pm »
What goes with this waiting a few days to see a Doctor??!!

That's ridiculous ::-) :o

Any day, 24 hours a day, I can visit any Hospital and get treatment.

« Reply #16 on: 31 January, 2009, 12:26:01 pm »

With a crap immune system you need a DR, your gp's should have a link to on-call gps, if they are not helpful get along to your local A&E, it might be a long wait, but it is worth it, don't faff about jfdi!!

« Reply #17 on: 31 January, 2009, 12:49:57 pm »
Yup, the late John Martyn had to have his leg amputated after an untreated cyst burst. Get thee to thee to a doctor ASAP.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #18 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:28:43 pm »
Got an appt at 3pm.

It used to talk me upto a week to see a doc, but since I got ill, I can walk in a be seen pretty much instantly at the GP or hospital.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #19 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:29:43 pm »
Good man.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:37:52 pm »
Treating this kind of thing can be painful.
Often, a cavity needs to be opened out and cleaned out, then prevented from closing while pus is still forming so the cavity can be cleaned out again.

Hope you're better soon.

PS Antibiotics don't work well on pus.
Pus is a collection of dead white blood cells and bacteria and has no blood circulation. Antibiotics are carried in the blood and can only diffuse about a millimetre from where there is a blood circulation. Treatment of pus is therefore mostly mechanical.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #21 on: 31 January, 2009, 01:45:14 pm »
At least I'll feel something different, better than feeling nowt but a constant pain days on end.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #22 on: 31 January, 2009, 02:44:21 pm »
Yes the cleaning out is the painful bit so grit your teeth and it will soon get better :thumbsup:

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #23 on: 31 January, 2009, 04:25:57 pm »
I am back, I got referred to the minor injuries make shift clinic bit, wound opened up and cleaned with sterile fluid, it stung a bit but at most was a bit uncomfortable rather then painful I'd say, even when they poked around with with a bud, they stuck a bit of anti septic cream and a plater on there and said to keep it clean and reapple cream and plaster after any wash or everyday.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #24 on: 31 January, 2009, 05:32:48 pm »
Did they comment on what could have caused it?