Author Topic: Weight Loss Discussion Thread  (Read 1252263 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Weight Loss Discussion Thread
« Reply #6525 on: 19 April, 2017, 10:00:49 am »
A typical weight loss year for me. Lose weight to the end of March, lose concentration, have a week's holiday with pubs and it starts to go back on again. I am trying to make this year different. This morning I was back to the weight I was at the start of the year. That's 3.5kg put on in a month.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6526 on: 19 April, 2017, 04:58:03 pm »
toontra, glad it's working for you.

I've been on the more gradual 5:2 "classic" fasting approach. However I've slipped into 6:1 these past few weeks due to a combination of laziness and social obligations. As a result I'm up slightly on last week.

Have to be more disciplined from now on: it's not hard at all really.

Embrace your inner Fred.

« Reply #6527 on: 20 April, 2017, 06:23:16 pm »
Well that was a surprise. I was convinced I would have put weight on over the last two weeks whereas I have lost 200g. OK, the loss is noise but at least it's not a gain. It's been a bad couple of weeks for eating (weekend away, lots of cake at work), for exercise (I've had a cold so the commuting and the running have been down a bit), and for sleep (who knows why), so stability makes me feel quite a bit better about things.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6528 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:00:35 pm »
87.5 kg at the end of December. That’s not too bad for me - I need to get into the 90s before I start to look podgy.

76.9 kg now.

That 10.6 kg down, by way of doing this, as I posted in another thread - updated with minor changes:

Since the start of January I have not eaten:
- red meat (rarely ate it at home anyway, but was no stranger to the full English or bacon sarnie when out and about)
- cheese
- any dairy aside from tea-whitening quantities of skimmed milk now on semi-skimmed
- chocolate
- cake
- nuts I eat a fair bit of almond and cashew nut butter
- very few eggs

Edited to add (I always forget to mention this now, although I shouldn’t): no alcohol, though I’ve been doing that for quite a while...

I have eaten:
- more oily fish
- more fish in general
- a range of different things instead of milk because I don’t trust any of them especially soya milk
- even more veg than I ate already
- lots of salad leaves of various sorts, which I was not previously enamoured with
- porridge every single day without fail. Food of the gods.

There was also a lot of calorie counting - essential in my opinion. Myfitnesspal is excellent.

This was all prompted by an episode of cholecystitis, of a nature that I cannot recommend. I am now minus said cholecyst.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6529 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:03:42 pm »
Well done Sgt Pluck!

I'm still 'resting' from weight loss.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #6530 on: 21 April, 2017, 11:18:05 am »
I gave up!

Well, almost.  Stopped watching my weight (except out the corner of my eye).

Seem to be in pretty much the same place as when I abandoned ship, so permission to board, Captain!

Let's do this thing.
Getting there...

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6531 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:46:54 am »
Getting closer.  Only 1.6kg away from my target with just over a month to go.  But I know from experience the last kilo and a bit will be the hardest to shift.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6532 on: 26 April, 2017, 05:28:15 pm »
Hit my target weight at the end of March. I realise now that the hard part is keeping the weight off until LEL. Think I hit my target far to early :-(.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6533 on: 26 April, 2017, 05:40:48 pm »
Hit my target weight at the end of March. I realise now that the hard part is keeping the weight off until LEL. Think I hit my target far to early :-(.

Not really; you can work on your strength and endurance over the next three months.

It is very difficult to get faster/stronger/fitter etc while losing weight.

Keep steady, get fit!

Don't worry if you gain a little weight and don't attempt to lose weight in the last 10 days before LEL.

« Reply #6534 on: 26 April, 2017, 06:35:18 pm »
On the grounds I got to work this morning, then realised I'd not weight myself, I suppose I'm not that bothered at the moment.
This is usually a BAD THING as it means I'm stressing about something.
We have a weekend away coming up, doing our re-enacting. These weekends are usually great fun and a very good way of forgetting about the 'real' world for. bit. So that may help. But being the cook may not.  O:-)
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #6535 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:07:30 am »
Thanks

Not really; you can work on your strength and endurance over the next three months.

It is very difficult to get faster/stronger/fitter etc while losing weight.

Keep steady, get fit!

Don't worry if you gain a little weight and don't attempt to lose weight in the last 10 days before LEL.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #6536 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:19:09 am »
Looking back at the first 3 pages of this thread reveal that some people, the same people, have a life-long struggle with weight (like me).

It's a thread that documents a 9 year struggle to stay, pretty much, in the same place.

My own records of my weight show the same struggle.  Only PBP every 4 years have any significant impact, mainly because it's hard NOT to lose weight doing all the qualifiers..etc.

Let's look at the tragic facts...

If we had lost just 3 Kg per year (250g per month) then we'd all be 27Kg lighter.

Perhaps that's the answer.  Make your target 3Kg per year for 9 years,  rather than 1kg per week..for a bit..then restart after blobbing out again.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #6537 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:22:36 am »
Started again a couple of weeks ago at 91kg, currently in the middle of the usual 4 week plateau1 before the weight starts to drop consistently.

76kg by Christmas is the main goal (and then see where it goes after that if I keep pushing the running). I'm not doing another marathon unless my weight is below 80kg.

228 days2 and 15kg = 0.46kg a week, or roughly 1lb a week. I've done very similar sustained steady weight loss in the past (https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=15.msg1481741#msg1481741) and know what I have to do (and not do) to keep on track.

Then keep my weight forever more below 80kg. No more yo-yo-ing.

1. Most probably fat loss balanced out by muscle gain, I certainly notice body shape changes in this time.
2. 242 days until Christmas minus the two weeks to the end of my usual plateau
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6538 on: 27 April, 2017, 12:10:58 pm »
Looking back at the first 3 pages of this thread reveal that some people, the same people, have a life-long struggle with weight (like me).

It's a thread that documents a 9 year struggle to stay, pretty much, in the same place.

My own records of my weight show the same struggle.  Only PBP every 4 years have any significant impact, mainly because it's hard NOT to lose weight doing all the qualifiers..etc.

Let's look at the tragic facts...

If we had lost just 3 Kg per year (250g per month) then we'd all be 27Kg lighter.

Perhaps that's the answer.  Make your target 3Kg per year for 9 years,  rather than 1kg per week..for a bit..then restart after blobbing out again.

I did not participate in this weight loss malarky until 2012, three years after yacf started, though I did opine, advise and encourage. I lost  a lot in 2012, less in 2013 and have struggled to make any real loss over the last  3 years.

But I'm an OK weight now really and I'm not gaining.

crowriver

• Крис Б
« Reply #6539 on: 27 April, 2017, 08:28:32 pm »
Slow but steady seems to be the pattern emerging for me this year so far.

Started at 86kg at the end of 2016. Lost 2kg (mainly water) straight away after the first bit of fasting. Managed to keep that off, then it's been a steady 1kg per month, pretty much. So now hovering around 80kg, hopefully will be 79kg or less by the end of May.....which, on the face of it, if I keep at this, I should hit my 72kg target in November.

However, when I first started on 5:2 over four years (!) ago, I was 1kg lighter than I am currently. I got to my original (more modest) target weight within three months, losing 5kg to 74kg. I then aimed for 72kg, achieved that within a further month and a half, and pretty much kept that at that for the rest of the year.

In between times my weight has gone up and down like a yoyo.

The only differences are really that I'm older, I'm riding my bike relatively little, and probably working more hours than in 2013.

Still, I'll keep trying for slow and steady. Now it's finally getting a wee bit warmer, hopefully I'll get out on my bike a bit more too.
Embrace your inner Fred.

simonp

« Reply #6540 on: 03 May, 2017, 11:54:04 am »
Finally had some progress - down to under 80kg for the first time since January.

It's not just because I'm dehydrated.

« Reply #6541 on: 04 May, 2017, 02:24:21 pm »
I'm back over 90kg because I have been eating compulsively Quite A Lot, because I don't seem to get any pleasure from riding my bike, and that is making me depressed. It's a vicious circle: I've trained hard, and it made no difference, which depressed me, so I don't like riding, I can't make myself ride any distance at all, and now I am eating all my feelings. Which makes me so fat that riding is even less enjoyable. I despair.
Where are those biscuits?

« Reply #6542 on: 04 May, 2017, 02:37:46 pm »
Hopefully still on the plateau. Having an easy week this week due to the bank holiday (Monday is usually my day off where I get to do a long swim and cycle) and a painful ankle and slightly twisted knee from 5-a-side. Will be back running again at the weekend hopefully.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6543 on: 04 May, 2017, 06:24:10 pm »
I was down to just under 115kg today. That is very welcome news after a few weeks of going (mostly slowly) in the wrong direction.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6544 on: 05 May, 2017, 12:13:02 pm »
I measured my hip girth today. It seems to have increased by 5cm.
Consistently. (Multiple readings, same time of day and tape measure as before)
My waist is 72cm which is not too bad.
Might weigh my one day.

My arms still look slim.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6545 on: 06 May, 2017, 09:25:05 am »
My weight is up by over 3kg in a month.
This cannot be a temporary blip, given that my hips are bigger.
Oh dear!
Will have to stop the treats and shrink the portions.

I did have a greedy weekend in a hotel but...

« Reply #6546 on: 10 May, 2017, 02:01:37 pm »
I fell off the diet wagon over Easter and I'm struggling to get back on for various reasons. I'll keep trying and see if this is the week I can do it.  :-\
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #6547 on: 10 May, 2017, 03:42:45 pm »
Stuck to the 40-30-30 diet, stuck to training

Weight is the same, power is up a bit. The only big gain is 60m average w/kg.

If I am honest, given How much effort I have put in to training (I even quite like intervals now), it's dispiriting how small the gains are. It's much easier to lose weight than gain power, albeit losing weight loses power.

Please can I be stronger and lighter.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6548 on: 10 May, 2017, 03:45:37 pm »
onwards and downwards...
I fell off the diet wagon over Easter and I'm struggling to get back on for various reasons. I'll keep trying and see if this is the week I can do it.  :-\

You are not alone!
I have slipped my guard, gained a LOT but am trying to get back on the straight and narrow.

Feeling hungry!

Onwards and downwards...

« Reply #6549 on: 10 May, 2017, 05:04:14 pm »
I've had a week of stuffing my face and drinking since I came back, Friday brings dental implants and an antibiotic course that conveniently places me firmly back on the wagon.