Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2399917 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8575 on: 15 April, 2017, 08:15:37 pm »

A neglected Dahon Boardwalk that i resurrected and added some things too. It can do long distances, i have found. Provided i learn to ride it a bit more relaxed than my big wheel bikes. And the foam on the handlebars needs to go.

Interesting looking saddle.. A modified Brooks?

« Reply #8576 on: 15 April, 2017, 08:23:22 pm »
A Brooks B17 clone rather. A Gyes GS - 17ACU, though this one was sold as an M-Wave saddle. It is of a better quality than a B17, but its nose is a bit wider, and the leather is not as slippery.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #8577 on: 17 April, 2017, 08:33:43 am »

First >1km ride yesterday. The frame was surplus to the requirements of a generous neighbour. The rest is stuff which was lying about in my garage, except for the front brake cable (£1.99 from Decathlon). A bit of Campag Centaur 10-speed c. 2005, Shimano 9-speed, Stronglight, & Mavic wheels which I used on PBP 2003. The lightest bike I've ever ridden, and more comfy than I expected.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8578 on: 29 April, 2017, 08:39:29 pm »
The Criterium is dead, Long live the Criterium ;D

new_crit by Marcus Coupe, on Flickr

The frame is a slightly later Criterium 12 but the dimensions are pretty much identical, to the extent that I could even move the same cables and outers over. The only real difference is that the fork crown is a bit closer to the tyre, so I've had to put a thinner tyre on. Oh, and it's blue of course.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Samuel D

« Reply #8579 on: 29 April, 2017, 09:40:48 pm »
Maybe you could re-use the old fork from your red one? (I can’t remember why you replaced that frame.) With or without new paint.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #8580 on: 29 April, 2017, 09:42:13 pm »
Maybe you could re-use the old fork from your red one? (I can’t remember why you replaced that frame.) With or without new paint.

It's something I'm considering. The frame broke at the rear drop out, and the old fork is chrome so it would be a simple swap.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8581 on: 02 May, 2017, 08:23:59 pm »
Yebbut red is faster than blue so I reckon you'd be forever pulling wheelies.

Nice setting for the photo.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8582 on: 02 May, 2017, 08:56:27 pm »
Also from the department of location, location, location:

(I'd left my Mennekes to XLR cable in my other trousers  ;))

« Reply #8583 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:27:12 pm »
He telephoned me in 1998 to talk about the frame size. My hero.

]
#makewattsnotwar

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #8584 on: 02 May, 2017, 09:32:41 pm »
Also from the department of location, location, location:

(I'd left my Mennekes to XLR cable in my other trousers  ;))

Kim wins the Internet.  :thumbsup:
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #8585 on: 02 May, 2017, 11:59:02 pm »
Some of you saw this in the plastic at Deano's most excellent Brevet Unpopulaire last Saturday and it created some interest, mostly I suspect due to its colour.

The frame is a Workswell WCB-R-125 carbon frame, which I ordered direct from the factory in China. The colour was chosen by me (pantone 130), although I didn't expect them to paint the seatpost as well. This is a large (they go up to XL) frame and has 72.5 degree head and seat angles with a 50mm offset fork. Clearance is up to 2.1 inch 650b tyres (Schwalbe Thunder Burt) or 40mm 700C and I built it up with bits from a couple of other bikes. Brakes are TRP Hy-RD with 160mm rotors mounted with flat mount adaptors and it's got 10 speed Ultegra sti's, a 9 speed XT rear mech and a 50/34 105 chainset with an 11-36 cassette. Wheels are Pacenti TL28 rim and through axle Aivee MT5 (or 2) hub with 32 Sapim race - these were from Superstar for less than I can buy the parts, but I'll probably need to true and tension at some point.

Built up like this it weighs 22lbs and with a pair of 700c wheels and light 33mm cross tyres it's down to 21lbs exactly.

The first ride was Dean's event - I bought a brake cable on the way over having finished putting it together at just after 2am. All that told, it performed superbly being very comfortable and feeling efficient on the flat and climbing and being a superb descender. The tarmac descent after leaving the Lion was a revelation - stable, adjustable and with confidence inspiring braking. The frame just kept everything together with no rattles or anything.

After returning, the indexing was out, but I sorted that on Sunday after giving it a bit of a wash.

Overall a really good start and thanks to Dr Mekon for the inspiration with his BBB.

Pics below

Mike

Edited to add:

1. I didn't expect the rack or guard mounts (non on the fork blades though) which are a nice surprise
2. I've got a pair of Pacenti sl25 rims - built up with 28mm Schwalbe Ones, these would probably get the weight down another half pound at least - not bad for a big old gravel bike
3. I was really impressed how much punishment it absorbed whilst I chased mds101 around the trails on Saturday without any complaint
4. Pictured on tame gravel for obvious reasons;)

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8586 on: 03 May, 2017, 01:50:44 am »
He telephoned me in 1998 to talk about the frame size. My hero.
Who did? Stephen Roche?

What's the story?
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

« Reply #8587 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:44:31 am »
Yes Paul, Stephen Roche.
The frame is one of 87 Special Edition Columbus EL OS tubing.

The drama of his ride up to La Plagne in 1987 is what hooked me good and proper.
#makewattsnotwar

Paul

« Reply #8588 on: 03 May, 2017, 12:51:03 pm »
That's proper customer service.

How does it ride?

« Reply #8589 on: 03 May, 2017, 01:17:24 pm »
Speedwise it is about 4% slower than carbon. Otherwise very smooth, benefits from having 25mm tyres, only put the Zipps on briefly to tease a couple of retro friends...normally ride it with Ultegra wheels. It was my 40th birthday present, and 20 years on I realise how lucky I am to have it.
#makewattsnotwar

Paul

« Reply #8590 on: 03 May, 2017, 02:43:38 pm »
... only put the Zipps on briefly to tease a couple of retro friends...
Phew. I nearly mentioned them, but thought better of it.

Samuel D

« Reply #8591 on: 03 May, 2017, 02:45:00 pm »
Speedwise it is about 4% slower than carbon.

Why is that? Is this with the same tyres?

« Reply #8592 on: 03 May, 2017, 04:43:36 pm »
Samuel, it must be something to do with weight. The steel is about 1500 gms or 3.5 lbs heavier than the carbon. I have the same Michelin tyres on all my bikes.

By analysing Strava segments, it is clear that the times are a tad quicker on carbon compared to titanium and steel when measured up a hill, e.g Muswell Hill; Mont Ventoux or anything in between. Same goes for long rolling segments ridden solo. The time differences are consistent over about 5 years of comparison.

#makewattsnotwar

« Reply #8593 on: 03 May, 2017, 05:23:55 pm »
It was my 40th birthday present, and 20 years on I realise how lucky I am to have it.

Great  :thumbsup:

Samuel D

« Reply #8594 on: 03 May, 2017, 05:38:37 pm »
Thanks, Pip. That’s an interesting observation about speed. The 1.5 kg difference shouldn’t add up to a 4% speed difference even on a non-stop steep hill (unless 1.5 kg represents 4% of your all-up weight). But you have data on your side so I certainly believe you. Perhaps the steel frame flexes in a way that slows you down, contrary to the planing school of thought.

Perhaps the different wheels make a significant aero difference too.

Intriguing!

« Reply #8595 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:30:01 pm »
Could also be psychological. It's heavier....so I'm going to go slower  :)
#makewattsnotwar

Samuel D

« Reply #8596 on: 03 May, 2017, 07:35:22 pm »
I am certain that would be psychologically offset by the Stephen Roche logotype.

Samuel D

« Reply #8597 on: 03 May, 2017, 10:24:23 pm »
Sojournermike: is that basically a copy of the 3T Exploro? Would you mind divulging how much it cost? Yellow’s a great colour for a bicycle! Or any vehicle. I still miss my yellow Vespa GTS.

« Reply #8598 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:24:09 pm »
Sojournermike: is that basically a copy of the 3T Exploro? Would you mind divulging how much it cost? Yellow’s a great colour for a bicycle! Or any vehicle. I still miss my yellow Vespa GTS.

Actually, I think it's basically an Open UP copy - chainstays are 420mm rather than 415mm (sad level of detail, I know), although I didn't know either the Open UP or the Exploro existed when I found the frame. I just thought the geometry and clearance was what I was looking for. It rides really well, so I'm happy.

I'll drop you a pm.

Mike

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #8599 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:40:42 pm »
The Criterium is dead, Long live the Criterium ;D

new_crit by Marcus Coupe, on Flickr

The frame is a slightly later Criterium 12 but the dimensions are pretty much identical, to the extent that I could even move the same cables and outers over. The only real difference is that the fork crown is a bit closer to the tyre, so I've had to put a thinner tyre on. Oh, and it's blue of course.

So nice, that that man's got the Horn.
Milk please, no sugar.