Author Topic: Cholesterol test on Tuesday  (Read 2381 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Cholesterol test on Tuesday
« on: 29 May, 2009, 10:10:55 pm »
Haven't had one for a few years and thought I'd better have another since I'm 40.  I'm hoping my apparently inherited ability to eat crap and maintain "desirable" levels is still with me.

Does anyone else have the occasional test?

Oh, and despite the fact that I'd just cycled from work and was dripping sweat all over the doctor's surgery, my blood pressure was normal.  Which is nice, because there is a bit of family history there (although the people with high BP are/were all women and did no serious exercise).  The doctor reckons it'll be fine for another ten years.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Re: Cholesterol test on Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:17:29 pm »
Never had a cholesterol test. Do they distinguish between dietary and made in your body cholesterol?

rogerzilla

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:24:51 pm »
HDL and LDL, if you're lucky.  Apparently one of the two lab people at the hospital regularly ignores the GP's request and only ever does a total figure because it costs more to do HDL/LDL figures.

The pharmacy at Sainsbury's will do a full test for free, but they're basically trying to flog you Benecol.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:25:46 pm »
Yeah I do

Cholesterol is facinating, I take a statin to look after mine, and will for the rest of my life.  Eat more oily fish, and your active so should be fine.

rogerzilla

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:26:56 pm »
Don't like fish.  I do take cod liver oil tablets (mmm...fishy burps).

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:27:45 pm »
HDL and LDL, if you're lucky.  Apparently one of the two lab people at the hospital regularly ignores the GP's request and only ever does a total figure because it costs more to do HDL/LDL figures.

The pharmacy at Sainsbury's will do a full test for free, but they're basically trying to flog you Benecol.

That is strange, thought you needed the hdl and ldl levels to get the balance between the two.

Oh and no differentiation between eaten and whats body.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »
Don't like fish.  I do take cod liver oil tablets (mmm...fishy burps).

You've never had my kipper curry.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 02 June, 2009, 08:36:14 am »
I have not yet bothered.
Dad had a cholesterol test as a battery of checks a few weeks ago.
His cholesterol was apparently the lowest his doctor had seen in someone who was not on cholesterol lowering drugs. He is nearly 79 and has been a Fat BlokeTM most of his adult life.
Mum's cholesterol is OK.
I can't be bothered yet.
I have no dependents though, normal blood pressure, no real family history of heart disease and had three grand parents who lived well (as in healthily) past 90.

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 02 June, 2009, 09:08:20 am »
Last time mine was checked (a few years ago) it was 5.6. NHS "guideline" optimum is 4 I think, or at least it was at the time - no doubt they've changed their minds now.

My doctor's reaction to this was - "Well, it's slightly higher than it should be, but given that your Dad died of a haemorrhagic stroke, a little hardening of your arteries probably won't do you any harm, and might actually do you some good"  :-\.

« Reply #9 on: 02 June, 2009, 03:15:34 pm »
Had one years ago, and it was a bit high. Modified diet for two years, retested, virtually the same. Comment from GP "Diet makes hardly any difference to level unless you give up all dairy products/shellfish etc." Gave up trying at that point. Don't want to be put on statins when I'm not sure if the level I have puts me at risk - my family may have generally high levels, who knows?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2009, 03:22:39 pm »
I've been on statins for over 6 years now it was 7.8 at one time :o at the last check it was down to 5.2, got to have another one in October every one on my mothers side have died of strokes and heart attacks ....so I maybe  O:-) next

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2009, 04:38:01 pm »
I had a test as part of a medical about 5 years ago. My level was quite high (can't remember the figure) which was a worry because my diet was, according to the Doc, quite good and 3 out of 4 grandparents died in their early 60s after strokes.
I modified my diet as much as I reasonably could, lost about 1kg in weight and had a retest. The overall level was still the same but the quantities of LDL and HDL had reversed themselves.
According to my GP, this was a very good thing because the level of the "bad"* cholesterol was more than compensated for by the level of the "good" one. IIRC, she divided one by the other.

*I can't remember which is which is which.

FyPuNK

« Reply #12 on: 05 June, 2009, 11:24:55 am »
Nurse Claire has me in every 6 months now, my Count is 7 but they do the HDL/LDL ratio thing that works out the CVD risk which in my case is 7% mainly coz my diet is pretty good. The BP is the only problem I have which tends to jump sky high when I go, White Coat Syndrome but I monitor at home and it remains on the higher side of normal which they are happy with as I exercise and eat properly. So far managed to keep of the medication but the years are passing by now and its only a matter of time, family history on mums side, some very dodgy tickers.

rogerzilla

« Reply #13 on: 05 June, 2009, 06:28:17 pm »
And...they didn't do the HDL/LDL split  >:(

Overall level was 4.23 which is fine.

Amusingly, I had elevated GGT levels, so the GP probably thinks I'm an alkie.  I drink about 4 units a week, but I'd had a beer the night before the test and was also on antihistamines and salbutamol.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #14 on: 05 June, 2009, 06:30:43 pm »
And...they didn't do the HDL/LDL split  >:(

Overall level was 4.23 which is fine.

Amusingly, I had elevated GGT levels, so the GP probably thinks I'm an alkie.  I drink about 4 units a week, but I'd had a beer the night before the test and was also on antihistamines and salbutamol.

Well good number but having he split is better to know.

rogerzilla

« Reply #15 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:34:11 pm »
I am taking the fish oil capsules  :sick:

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #16 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:43:33 pm »
Amusingly, I had elevated GGT levels, so the GP probably thinks I'm an alkie.
Glugs Gin & Tonic ?    :-\
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

rogerzilla

« Reply #17 on: 05 June, 2009, 09:55:16 pm »
It's a marker for liver damage, normally due to excessive drinking, but can be raised by various medications.  If you've had a drink 24 hours before the test (I had...one can of 2% lager) it normally shows up.

No history of liver problems in the family, and I am definitely pink rather than yellow.

Chris S

« Reply #18 on: 25 August, 2009, 03:05:25 pm »
I had the Full Monty test done a few weeks ago. Heard nothing from the Doc so I guess I'm still alive; decided to ring for the Cholesterol result:

Overall: 5.7 - "Borderline high" I believe is the term.
HDL: 2.7
LDL: 3.0 (inferred from the HDL)

From what I can tell from the Interweb (so it must be true, right?) a TC/HDL ratio of 2.1 is Quite Good (<3.4 is considered "Very Low Risk").

« Reply #19 on: 25 August, 2009, 04:59:21 pm »
I've learned through experience to lay off the cakes and pastries for a week before the test, keeps the count down. ;)

I'm not going to take statins, they can cause liver damage. Similarly I managed to get back off blood pressure medication by finding my BP didn't go up when I missed taking it while abroad.