Author Topic: Trapped wind on night rides  (Read 5441 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Trapped wind on night rides
« on: 06 July, 2009, 12:25:02 pm »
Anyone else get this?  Can't narrow it down to a particular foodstuff, but basically I can't face eating anything at night, which condemns me to fat-burning pace once my muscles run out of glycogen.

Other suspect: elasticated tights rather than bibtights.  Infacol might cure it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Trapped wind on night rides
« Reply #1 on: 06 July, 2009, 12:29:04 pm »
I get gut cramps and severe wind on night rides.  Even the FNRttC is enough to cause problems.

With me it's Crohns related.  I've found that eating small amounts regularly helps...

... as does smoking*.

*There is some clinical evidence that smoking can be beneficial for certain types of inflammatory bowel disease and there is some research going on at the moment to isolate the active component.  However, my gastroenterologist would still not recommend starting smoking...  ;)
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 06 July, 2009, 12:32:57 pm »
Makes for spectacular wind though.  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

plug

« Reply #3 on: 06 July, 2009, 01:04:54 pm »
It's not uncommon.
You just need to work out what you can consume overnight.  Me, I cut over to liquid calories in the form of Frijj or Yop or similar.

« Reply #4 on: 06 July, 2009, 01:31:53 pm »
basically I can't face eating anything at night, which condemns me to fat-burning pace once my muscles run out of glycogen

Can't see why that would be a problem for you

rogerzilla

« Reply #5 on: 06 July, 2009, 02:05:32 pm »
I still burn fat faster than some people burn ATP  :smug:

« Reply #6 on: 06 July, 2009, 03:29:23 pm »
Anyone else get this?  Can't narrow it down to a particular foodstuff, but basically I can't face eating anything at night, which condemns me to fat-burning pace once my muscles run out of glycogen.

Other suspect: elasticated tights rather than bibtights.  Infacol might cure it.
Not just at night and I too suspect waist shorts are contributory. I wore some retro waist shorts last weekend, they were supremely comfortable, maybe it was the saddle and the sublime carriage offered by my Merckx, I digress, but I suffered badly with cramps. Perhaps it was the pork pies I devoured at 08:00. It wasn't a night ride, I started at 04:30. I used to suffer in the olden days with the same thing and I thought then that waist shorts made it feel worse and was not the culprit, I switched to bib shorts but also had my stomach ulcer fixed, so it's difficult to tell. I ought to do some more tests. Perhaps I'll wear the shorts again at the weekend, ride my Merckx and not eat Pork Pies.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 06 July, 2009, 04:12:17 pm »
Despite never having had a problem eating at any time of the day or night, I still fart like an industrial popcorn machine when I'm on long distance rides.

It's particularly bad on fixed as it's much less easy to raise a cheek and reaffirm Boyle's Law as you ride.

Instead, I regularly fall victim to concentrated bouts of sphincturbulence once I stop, something that my riding companions are usually tactful enough to ignore...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 06 July, 2009, 04:16:20 pm »
I think it's due to the leaning-forward position of cyclists. Once I'm out of the saddle, the symphony starts.

I imagine that when I'm walking, I don't specifically notice massive farts because the more natural posture, combined with the impact footfalls has as an aid to peristalsis, mean that it's little and often.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

« Reply #9 on: 06 July, 2009, 05:24:37 pm »
I also suspect digestion shuts down (or slows markedly) at night, since I don't get the problem on day rides.  It normally starts at about 50 miles and I just feel "green around the gills" rather than fully nauseous.  A serious fart or burp helps, but isn't really possible when riding.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 06 July, 2009, 06:22:39 pm »
If it's a body clock thing, then a catnap before the race to reset it might help. 

I fart like a locomotive but that's because nerves and excitement make me eat crap.  This year's scientific energy food?  Biltong, jelly babies and whiskey. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #11 on: 06 July, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »
Farting is such sweet sorrow.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #12 on: 07 July, 2009, 07:47:38 am »
<snip> It normally starts at about 50 miles ... <snip>
Other hypotheses/speculations:

1 - You're taking a lot of air in when drinking.

2 - Your digestive system is slowing down because large amounts of blood are being / have been "diverted" to your leg muscles to keep them supplied with oxygen/glycogen.  If that's the case and you're refuelling with high sugar foods then that may increase the time available for the gut bacteria to feed and therefore generate more gas than otherwise.

Of course the foregoing may be total bollocks and you're just going to have live with a new nickname...

You are Johnny Fartpants AICMFP. :)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Chris S

« Reply #13 on: 07 July, 2009, 08:58:08 am »
Of course, you need a Brooks saddle to really get the best Timbre from a fartathon. The Honey coloured ones are probably rather more sympathetic to consequential staining.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #14 on: 07 July, 2009, 03:06:06 pm »
Of course, you need a Brooks saddle to really get the best Timbre from a fartathon. The Honey coloured ones are probably rather more sympathetic to consequential staining.

And there was me thinking that the rhythmic creaking from the direction of the penny was the saddle springs.

I hadn't even noticed it until someone (darkpoint, I think) pointed it out, but now the sound is burned into my mind along with the dancing lines of red LEDs.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 07 July, 2009, 03:11:16 pm »
<snip> It normally starts at about 50 miles ... <snip>
Other hypotheses/speculations:

1 - You're taking a lot of air in when drinking.

2 - Your digestive system is slowing down because large amounts of blood are being / have been "diverted" to your leg muscles to keep them supplied with oxygen/glycogen.  If that's the case and you're refuelling with high sugar foods then that may increase the time available for the gut bacteria to feed and therefore generate more gas than otherwise.
3 - you're just plain fatigued. You may be mentally strong at 2am, but your body is winding down. (Power naps do make a big difference). The spirit is willing ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #16 on: 07 July, 2009, 03:19:25 pm »
Everyone farts at night.  It's partof thenatural cycle.  Your body holds it in, then has a habit of releasing when you are most relaxed.  It's also a way that you have adapted to avoid social embarrassment, since whoever you are with at night is normally intimate and fond enough to overlook issues (if they are awake at all).

So of course you fart at night when you're riding. If you didn't you'd become bloated.  Not necessarily anythign to do with exertion or change in diet or other habits...
Getting there...

« Reply #17 on: 07 July, 2009, 03:22:46 pm »
since whoever you are with at night is normally intimate and fond enough to overlook issues (if they are awake at all).

Also you have the duvet (Dutch oven) handy to trap them and intensify it.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #18 on: 07 July, 2009, 03:24:08 pm »

Gas is OK. Liquigas isn't.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup: