Author Topic: Favourite bonk rations  (Read 7433 times)

Chris S

Re: Favourite bonk rations
« Reply #25 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:16:29 pm »
Mars bars melt :sick:

Not if you eat them  :thumbsup:

Aye, that's right enough.

Was I being daft?  

No. I left a Mars Bar in my top-tube bag, on my bike, in the car. What a molten brown mess  :sick:.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #26 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:20:50 pm »
Garage stop today on the Suburban Breakout. Sandwich, Banana Yazoo and a packet of Liquice Allsorts for my back pocket.

'Nuff said.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #27 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:29:09 pm »
You guys like your sugar rushes don't you. Then the low

Yes, the last-ditch-must-have-something that gives you the energy to get the last ten miles to a proper meal.

Or is there some new definition of "bonk rations" that I'm not aware of?

I don't think anybody has suggested that these are meal replacements, they're emergency rations.

I thought it was an Audax euphamism for Contraception?

« Reply #28 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:36:16 pm »
My God!

You people really are Junk Jockeys  ;)

Jordan's luxury nut bar and bananananana does it for me.

Yup. I carry a Torq Gel on a long ride, but that's strictly 'last resort'.  :)

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #29 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:37:17 pm »
You guys like your sugar rushes don't you. Then the low

Yes, the last-ditch-must-have-something that gives you the energy to get the last ten miles to a proper meal.

Or is there some new definition of "bonk rations" that I'm not aware of?

I don't think anybody has suggested that these are meal replacements, they're emergency rations.

I thought it was an Audax euphamism for Contraception?

"Audax" is surely in itself a euphemism for contraception.

Manotea got there first.   ;D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #30 on: 13 July, 2009, 08:24:36 am »
Dried apricots, pref. unsulphured.

Can be dumped in a jersey pocket as they are, so no wrappers to deal with or dispose of on the ride.  Easy to chew and swallow.

Moderately low GI (google he say GI=31, GL=8) so best munched steadily before you bonk, but enough readily available sugar to bring you back from the brink reasonably fast if you do.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #31 on: 14 July, 2009, 06:52:05 pm »

« Reply #32 on: 14 July, 2009, 07:19:41 pm »
In a related topic, I was talking to someone on a recent ride about home made energy gels, and he had a reusable squeezy tube thing.  Has anyone seen anywhere in the UK where I can get one of those?  I can find them (with a bit of hunting) in the US, but that seems a bit daft, since the postage/duty is likely to cost more than the tubes!
Actually, it is rocket science.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #33 on: 14 July, 2009, 07:39:28 pm »
Like this?

It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #34 on: 14 July, 2009, 07:42:55 pm »
Like this?

;D

That looks more enema gel, than energy gel.
Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #35 on: 14 July, 2009, 07:47:11 pm »
In a related topic, I was talking to someone on a recent ride about home made energy gels, and he had a reusable squeezy tube thing.  Has anyone seen anywhere in the UK where I can get one of those?  I can find them (with a bit of hunting) in the US, but that seems a bit daft, since the postage/duty is likely to cost more than the tubes!

Try Field & Trek, Cotswold, or another outdoor/camping/backpacking supplier.  I'm pretty sure I've seen that sort of thing in/on their catalogues/websites in the past.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:09:15 pm »

Can be dumped in a jersey pocket as they are, so no wrappers to deal with or dispose of on the ride.  Easy to chew and swallow.

Moderately low GI (google he say GI=31, GL=8) so best munched steadily before you bonk, but enough readily available sugar to bring you back from the brink reasonably fast if you do.

Isn't that rather 'windy'?

Flatulent of London

« Reply #37 on: 14 July, 2009, 09:51:33 pm »
Try Field & Trek, Cotswold, or another outdoor/camping/backpacking supplier.  I'm pretty sure I've seen that sort of thing in/on their catalogues/websites in the past.

I've searched both of their websites, and quite a few other similar ones, and come up empty.  Likewise my Google fu has let me down, except for a US site, which will charge me something like £1-50 for a pair of tubes and £30 P&P !

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #38 on: 14 July, 2009, 10:03:53 pm »

I've searched both of their websites, and quite a few other similar ones, and come up empty.  Likewise my Google fu has let me down, except for a US site, which will charge me something like £1-50 for a pair of tubes and £30 P&P !

Lakeland?

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/squeeze-bottles/F/C/storing-preserving/C/storing-preserving-food-storage/Price/0-to-4,99/product/12323

Not ideal perhaps.

« Reply #39 on: 14 July, 2009, 11:32:16 pm »
Pure sugary stuff only works for me when I'm right the edge of bonking, or have already bonked. Otherwise it just tastes like shit (I don't really have a sweet tooth).

Before that I prefer nice low/medium GI stuff little and often to keep me going. Flapjack or Ginsters (luckily 24 hour petrol stations are perfect for meat and fat wrapped in plastic).

I did drink two Torq Gels somewhere along the Goyt Valley on the MSG 300 purely for the water content because I'd drained both bottles and was nearing dehydration (despite drinking loads of water at the Holmfirth control). Ugh.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #40 on: 14 July, 2009, 11:40:05 pm »
In a related topic, I was talking to someone on a recent ride about home made energy gels, and he had a reusable squeezy tube thing.  Has anyone seen anywhere in the UK where I can get one of those?  I can find them (with a bit of hunting) in the US, but that seems a bit daft, since the postage/duty is likely to cost more than the tubes!

Is this what you're after? EBC used to do them as well but I can't see them on the site anymore. They're pretty easy to pick up in running shops too.

simonp

« Reply #41 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:50:07 am »
Ma Baker Giant Bars and also their smoothie bars. Both are around 100g and 400 kcals for the giant bar and around 450 for the smoothie bar so very high calories. Sometime I've also used Squeezy Gel mini bisons which are a good boost. Will be using all of these on Lel.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #42 on: 15 July, 2009, 08:11:58 am »

Can be dumped in a jersey pocket as they are, so no wrappers to deal with or dispose of on the ride.  Easy to chew and swallow.

Flatulent of London
Nah, not especially and given that farting and cycling any distance seem to go together anyway, I mean there's a whole thread about it hereabouts, why worry about a few extra ccs of methane?  :)

I don't think they're any worse than (some) of the energy/gel products which, from what I read, do some people no favours whatsoever in that area.

*edit*
Oh and I forgot. You can pretend they're health food and they're cheap.  *counts moths out of his wallet and counts them all back in again*
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #43 on: 15 July, 2009, 10:44:43 am »
In a related topic, I was talking to someone on a recent ride about home made energy gels, and he had a reusable squeezy tube thing.  Has anyone seen anywhere in the UK where I can get one of those?  I can find them (with a bit of hunting) in the US, but that seems a bit daft, since the postage/duty is likely to cost more than the tubes!
Is this what you're after? EBC used to do them as well but I can't see them on the site anymore. They're pretty easy to pick up in running shops too.

Not what I was looking for (which is basically a reusable toothpaste tube affair), but definitely a possible substitute, and definitely better than Jaded's suggestion. ;D

At least with ChainReaction, and their free delivery option, it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get one and experiment.

Well done that kyuss, I would never have thought of searching under "Gel Flask".

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #44 on: 17 July, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »
I must say, on first seeing this I thought it said ' Favourite Bonk Rationed!' :demon:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #45 on: 17 July, 2009, 02:58:02 pm »

Can be dumped in a jersey pocket as they are, so no wrappers to deal with or dispose of on the ride.  Easy to chew and swallow.

Flatulent of London
Nah, not especially and given that farting and cycling any distance seem to go together anyway, I mean there's a whole thread about it hereabouts, why worry about a few extra ccs of methane?  :)

I don't think they're any worse than (some) of the energy/gel products which, from what I read, do some people no favours whatsoever in that area.

*edit*
Oh and I forgot. You can pretend they're health food and they're cheap.  *counts moths out of his wallet and counts them all back in again*

+1 for Apricots - nature's 1-handed steady energy snack!

They probably don't help with wind etc, but I have found foods that create much more havoc than simple apricots.

Be warned - they're not cheap in supermarkets. Stick to the health foody places etc.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #46 on: 17 July, 2009, 03:16:00 pm »
Nakd bars and 'nanas.