Author Topic: Feeling nauseous on bike rides  (Read 2926 times)

D0m1n1c Burford

Feeling nauseous on bike rides
« on: 12 July, 2009, 10:40:15 am »
On the last couple of bike rides, I've began to feel nauseous towards the end, to the point where I cannot eat, and where eating makes me feel like I want to be sick.  Even when I finish, I don't feel hungry, and this can last for a couple of hours. I can have a recovery drink, and soup, but that's about it. My appetite eventually returns later though. Usually, I eat like a horse all the way round a ride, and eat like a horse when I finish.

What causes this? Is it anything to be worried about?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Feeling nauseous on bike rides
« Reply #1 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:42:51 am »
I think lots of us find the pangs of hunger take a while to appear after a long ride. I don't think it's anything much to worry about. I try to eat little and often as i go along - but then I'm a glutton anyway.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2009, 11:02:21 am »
Actually, I beg to differ with young master Wowbagger - it can be a big deal if you are going a long way or over tough terrain. I too have had some issues with eating on long rides recently - on a DIY 600 in May, and on the Midland Super Grimpeur a couple of weeks ago.

On both occasions, I was working harder than I'm used to - on the 600 because I rode it faster than I'm used to (sub 19 hour first 400) and on the 300 because it was bastard hilly. When I work harder than I'm used to, my gut shuts down and I no longer feel hungry. Combine that with dehydration and salt loss so that food just goes round and round and round in your mouth when you do try and eat, and it all becomes a big chore.
I never get to the point where I want to gag if I eat, but I can imagine how you can get to that point.

For me - milk is a saviour. I might not be able to eat, but a pint of ice cold milk can really hit the spot. I sometimes crave it as I'm riding, and know the time has come for a Milk 'n Mars Bar stop.
Yoghurt also works, as does soup - though I'm pretty fussy about flavours of soup, so don't use that option often. Chips sometimes work. I was getting toward the shutdown point on the Severn Across 400 this year (again - we were riding faster than I'm used to) but when we stopped at Malmesbury for chips - I wolfed them down and felt much better from then on.

As far as long distance cycling is concerned, eating is one of the hardest things to get right.

Have you been starting your rides already dehydrated perhaps, Dominic? Once behind with the drinking, it's impossible to catch up when riding, and this makes a big difference to appetite. Do you use gels or carb drinks? These can get awfully sickly after a while...
How quickly does this problem manifest itself? Can you do a 50km circuit unaffected?

« Reply #3 on: 12 July, 2009, 11:13:07 am »
What has been different on your "last couple of bike rides" or in the lead up to them ?  trying harder, in bad shape going into them, stressed ? Is it the recent heat and/or humidity ? were you too hot ?

Eating is really important,

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:05:15 pm »
Most people's digestive systems 'lock up' above a certain level of effort, but are OK, within limits, below.
Methinks somehow you have recently exceeded this threshold.
You can tackle this problem either by easing off a bit or possibly by feeding yourself small frequent 'scientific' potions like gels etc.
Pays your money and takes your choice, innit?
Easing off is cheaper...
Avoiding fatty foods may help.

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:41:45 pm »
My digestive system is certainly affected by riding Audax events.

I speak, of course, of the farts.  Anyone got a cure fur that?

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:42:27 pm »

A cork?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 12 July, 2009, 01:51:15 pm »
To reduce farts, avoid baked beans, anything with much fibre and riding when you should be sleeping. Simple innit?
Shame it cuts at most Audax events...

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2009, 03:33:00 pm »
I get this lots on long bike rides.  Anything that is a reasonably hard effort (club runs, group rides at a decent speed, even on audaxes if I'm pushing it too hard) and the mere thought of food makes me want to hurl.  A steaming greasy pile of food is just the last thing I want - and often the only thing available.

Half a cereal bar every half hour and Torq drink in my bottles wards it off as I think the nausea sets in when I'm desperately in need of food, even though I don't feel hungry. 

I also found that while I can't face food in that state, if I drink a can of coca-cola (the full fat stuff, not the diet), then my appetite returns and I can eat enough to carry on.  I think the sugar re-boots me or something.

This has only happened since (a) I lost weight and (b) started riding faster.  When I was tubbier and then when I was thinner but riding slowly, it never happened at all, and now it's pretty much on any ride I do!  At a guess, it's something to do with how quickly my body uses the energy it had for breakfast, and what happens if I don't top it up in time.

« Reply #9 on: 12 July, 2009, 03:50:04 pm »
My digestive system is certainly affected by riding Audax events.

Less carbs or different carbs.  SiS, Hi5 and many other proprietary products cause me horrendous wind and stomach cramps.  The only food other than real food I can stomach is Torq. 

D0m1n1c Burford

« Reply #10 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:54:05 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. It's reassuring to know that it's not just me then.

Looking back at the rides where I felt nauseous, they were in very humid conditions, and I was pushing quite hard on them.

I like the idea of milk, and will try that, as I had no trouble having my recovery drink when I finished, which was a For Goodness Shakes drink (highly recommended).

« Reply #11 on: 12 July, 2009, 08:59:50 pm »
I get it sometimes in hot & humid weather too.  Do you use Nuun / elite salt replacement as you go along?

« Reply #12 on: 12 July, 2009, 09:09:13 pm »
I get it sometimes in hot & humid weather too.  Do you use Nuun / elite salt replacement as you go along?

That could be it. Or maybe you're not eating enough. Sometimes you get too hungry to eat. Like Liz, trying sugary drinks to re-boot the digestive sytem can work. I'd try the re-hydration stuff and keep using it, and try to keep eating.
I think that the reason you lose your appetite when you try harder could be because you sweat more. You might not notice because you'll have more wind to blow you dry. Riding into a headwind on a hot day can catch you unawares into getting dehydrted. You don't realise how much you sweat.

I had something like that on the Mersey 24 last year. It was because of the ride up there, which I started hungry and I never recovered. I could only manage one meal the night before, where I'd normally eat about 2 meals in a pub as well as raid the local supermarket.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #13 on: 12 July, 2009, 10:51:08 pm »
I wonder if getting overheated might be part of the OP's problem. Trying to chill with ice/cool drinks/ice cream/wet flannel wipedown might help here.

« Reply #14 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:53:33 am »
For me - milk is a saviour. I might not be able to eat, but a pint of ice cold milk can really hit the spot. I sometimes crave it as I'm riding, and know the time has come for a Milk 'n Mars Bar stop.

For me - milk during a ride is the thing that makes me feel nauseous. Even a large cappuccino can bring it on. Afterwards I'm fine (or if I'm stopping for a long rest period), but not during any more.

The other times I've felt sick on an Audax have either been a hangover (that wasn't clever) or bonking (5 miles outside Menai on the BCM) which was all my fault and just poor judgement/planning/preparation.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #15 on: 13 July, 2009, 01:44:09 pm »
Someone told me to drink all the water in my bottles shortly before arriving at an Audax control.  Allegedly it gets your digestive system working in time for the food to be processed.  I don't know whether this is actually true - it sounds a little unlikely - but for some reason it works well for me.  

I can't help with the chronic farting problem, as the other TRATers will be able to testify :-[

LEE

« Reply #16 on: 13 July, 2009, 01:55:48 pm »
Only felt nauseous once, it was pretty hot and I was trying Lucozade "Energy".

I suspect it was the Lucozade because just the thought of it 2 years later makes me feel a bit sick.

Remedy: A pint of Bitter Shandy

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2009, 02:12:45 pm »
I always found it helpful to eat as soon as I was off the bike.
This sometimes meant eating the bonk rations while standing in a queueueue at a control, where I'd get the next bonk ration.
It can also be helpful to eat your pudding before the main course.