Author Topic: Eczema? Bubbly itchy skin on finger (and ping Liz!)  (Read 12514 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: Eczema? Bubbly itchy skin on finger (and ping Liz!)
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:02:06 pm »
Using this ruddy big magnifier the Doctor said "Yes I can see the problem" and we left after  30 minutes complete with a specially formulated and rather expensive cream. This was a Hospital product not a commercial product.

Do you think the doctor knocked it up himself?

It's amazing what they can make in labs these days, isn't it?
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:25:17 pm »
Bringing much needed relief to all, no doubt.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #27 on: 13 July, 2009, 03:57:49 pm »
Using this ruddy big magnifier the Doctor said "Yes I can see the problem" and we left after  30 minutes complete with a specially formulated and rather expensive cream. This was a Hospital product not a commercial product.

Do you think the doctor knocked it up himself?

The Doctor was a lady and confirmed to me that their Skin Clinic Laboratory made it. The formula, I guess, may have come from her USA University training but not really  sure about this. My wife is a Vet and if it was a commercial product we could have bought it much cheaper.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2009, 06:31:26 pm »

My usual method involves slathering on a mixture of Betnovate or similar, mixed with a heavy emollient cream, then putting a pair of light cotton gloves on before I go to bed.  When I wake up, the skin is hydrated and the cracks have closed up.  The ointment stings like a bastard, but it works.  
I take the gloves off in my sleep and scratch my hands till they pour blood, and it usually doesn't wake me!  ::-)

Dream Cream ingredients are: oat milk, rose water, olive oil, cocoa butter, glycerine, stearic acid, triethanolamine, tincture of benzoin, rose absolute, chamomile oil, tea tree oil, lavender oil, cetearyl alcohol, geraniol, limonene, linalool, methylparaben, propylparaben, perfume.

Thanks everyone. It's more bubble wrap-like and itchy today., but still covers just a tiny area.
I'll try calendula as I am allergic to anything even slightly scented/perfumed. I can't walk past a Lush without wheezing and coming out in a rash.  :-X

Most Lush products aren't very strongly scented, and Dream Cream certainly isn't. But their smell permeates the area around the shops because most of their products aren't packaged; they just warp them in paper when you buy them. Send Woolly in to get you a sample.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #29 on: 13 July, 2009, 06:35:36 pm »
Dream Cream or Coco Butter (the proper stuff) or an Aloe lead split in half on the patch works wonders. I regulary get it on my fingers and top of my wrists if I don't sleep for several days on end.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #30 on: 13 July, 2009, 07:44:03 pm »
Now I've learned something today.

I've never connected the patches I (normally) get on my left foot, with the lumps which come up on my fingers!

I've always (or for as long as I can remember) had tiny blister like rashes occasionally come up on the fingers, but had not connected it with the larger lumpy patches I get on my feet. The lumps on my fingers are not normally that noticeable, and come and go within a couple of days. My feet are a different matter...

Emma
California Dreaming

« Reply #31 on: 14 July, 2009, 08:05:11 pm »
I've tried a bit of the Dream Cream (Mum had some :) ) and the scent has not made me sneeze too much. It has made the bobbly area more raised and bobbly, however. I'll see how it goes.

« Reply #32 on: 14 July, 2009, 10:07:49 pm »
If this happened after you had camped out after the Dun Run, could it be possible that you got some plant sap on the area?

I've had several 'burns' from sap after working in the garden, particularly arround this time of year.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 14 July, 2009, 10:33:10 pm »
If this happened after you had camped out after the Dun Run, could it be possible that you got some plant sap on the area?

I've had several 'burns' from sap after working in the garden, particularly arround this time of year.

Oooh look! Someone who has similar thoughts to mine!

Much of the damage is done, but I would advise preventing further UV skin damage with sunblock and using bland emollients to sooth and moisturise the skin.

« Reply #34 on: 14 July, 2009, 11:39:55 pm »
I've realised what it is! Thanks Helly and Wobbly for making my brain-cogs engage... I cut my finger and applied a plaster containing zinc oxide. Which I'm allergic to! The skin then got a bit burned.

I'm kicking myself for not realising earlier...

« Reply #35 on: 15 July, 2009, 12:03:47 am »
If it is eczema them get some Hydrocortisone cream from the chemists, over the counter.  Blitz it with that for a couple of days (apply sparingly) then start a daily moisturizing regime (diprobase is good) to try and stop it coming back.  Mine is worst in winter to easter and during times of tiredness and stress.

Pretty much what I do, except I'm on Prescription only Betnovate 1 in 4 not Hydrocortisone. The Diprobase sits on my desk at work.

My new boss made the mistake of asking me what it was for, I said it was for Eczema bought on by work related stress and, pointing to my arms (quite bad at the time), I said I may not be able to make the upcoming deadlines. His face was a picture for 5 seconds or so.

Stress doesn't seem to make mine worse (I'm busy but rarely really stressed), and sunshine doesn't seem to make it any better. I'm just crap at keeping up the Betnovate/Diprobase until it's gone, and then keeping up with Diprobase to stave it off.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."