Author Topic: Do I need suncream?  (Read 997 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Do I need suncream?
« on: 13 July, 2009, 08:25:38 pm »

I've got quite dark brown skin, should I be wearing suncream out in the sun? And if so, what factor? I get impressive tans but never been burnt, no irritability or anything. Or do I not need it?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

border-rider

Re: Do I need suncream?
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2009, 09:13:40 pm »
If you're not burning then there's little risk of melanoma

Tanning indicates that your skin reacts, so there's a risk of the usually-non-nasty stuff like squamous cell carcinoma. But the tan will protect against that.

On the whole, I'd not worry* but I'd keep watching for lumps etc

*unless you're deliberately sunbathing or visiting hot climes, then I would use suncream if I were you.  Or even better, cover up.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 13 July, 2009, 09:27:04 pm »
I use suncream if I go somewhere silly hot ie India or Africa but anywhere else not felt like I've needed it. Thanks for the heads up, surprisingly little info for dark skinned people available.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

cometworm

« Reply #3 on: 13 July, 2009, 09:58:33 pm »
Do you get freckles? My girlfriend is ethnically pretty much equatorial, but wears factor 30 in thick layers ... and apparently it's because getting freckles means you're susceptible to skin cancer.

(I may be misquoting her on this, in case there are dermatologists here who take issue with that simplistic explanation).

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #4 on: 13 July, 2009, 10:00:00 pm »
Nope I have baby clear skin and about equal smoothness too :)

Support Equilibrium