Author Topic: Bridge failure  (Read 2764 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Bridge failure
« on: 20 July, 2009, 03:49:23 pm »
Dental that is. I think my bridge might finally be failing and I'm terrified of the resulting physical and financial pain. My gum keeps getting sore above one of the caps and and it is happening more and more often. The bridge has been in place for thirty years and at least one dentist made the comment "God knows how we would get it out".  :(

I don't actually have a dentist at the moment, having only been in my current location twelve months. How the hell am I supposed to know who to trust for such an important job?

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Bridge failure
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:25:30 pm »

£16.50 - This charge includes an examination, diagnosis and preventive care. If necessary, this includes X-rays, scale and polish, and planning for further treatment. Urgent and out-of-hours care also costs £16.50.

£45.60 - This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 charge PLUS additional treatment such as fillings, root canal treatment or extractions.

£198 -This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges PLUS more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges.

Cheapest way to get dental treatment if you can get on an NHS list.

Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:27:42 pm »
Wow, I didn't realise it was capped (sorry) so low. There was an advert in the local free rag for a NHS dentist last week so I will give them a call. Thanks for the tip Greg.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:37:00 pm »
Also - if you  have kids being treated by an NHS dentist, you can get treatment too, even if they are full.

The dentist that is, not the kids.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:45:41 pm »
Wow, I didn't realise it was capped (sorry) so low. There was an advert in the local free rag for a NHS dentist last week so I will give them a call. Thanks for the tip Greg.

Just a word of caution- those costs are for a "course" of treatment. Some of the less scrupulous dentists offer far less under the guise of a single course than do others. You should always be given an estimate of cost for the course - and details of what it covers - before it starts. Havin said that I had an emergency treatment for an abscess for £16.50 with one of the private dentists at our practice because the NHS one was off, and the whole root canal treatment (2 x 45mins sessions) is going to be £45.60.  We are exceptionally lucky with our dentist.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2009, 04:51:46 pm »
Also - if you  have kids being treated by an NHS dentist, you can get treatment too, even if they are full.

Unfortunately our kids have flown the nest some time ago but I'm sure other might appreciate that tip.

A private dentist once told me NHS treatment is inferior because of the quality of the technicians they use for bridge work but then he would say that wouldn't he? He replaced my sisters bridge at "cost" because she was a friend. Only £3000!!

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2009, 11:28:55 am »
How the hell am I supposed to know who to trust for such an important job?

Ask around the office!
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Regulator

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2009, 11:33:01 am »

Unfortunately our kids have flown the nest some time ago but I'm sure other might appreciate that tip.

A private dentist once told me NHS treatment is inferior because of the quality of the technicians they use for bridge work but then he would say that wouldn't he? He replaced my sisters bridge at "cost" because she was a friend. Only £3000!!

That's crap.  Most dentists, whether NHS or private, tend to use the same, relatively small, group of dental technicians, all of whom are subject to GDC registration.  This means that their qualifications and competence will have been assessed to the same criteria.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2009, 11:40:53 am »

£198 -This charge includes all necessary treatment covered by the £16.50 and £45.60 charges PLUS more complex procedures such as crowns, dentures or bridges.

And your very own reading, by her, in person.  :o :sick:

Quote from: Marbeaux
Have given this a great deal of thought and decided not to contribute to any further Threads for the time being.
POTD. (decade) :thumbsup:

« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2009, 12:39:12 pm »
The max charge reduced significantly 12-18 mths ago - 8 years ago it was near 400 quid - while the "lower" prices increased.
Let right or wrong alone decide
God was never on your side.

« Reply #10 on: 21 July, 2009, 02:05:20 pm »

[/quote]
A private dentist once told me NHS treatment is inferior because of the quality of the technicians they use for bridge work but then he would say that wouldn't he?
[/quote]

Indeed he would. I have a gold crown from the NHS side of treatment. At the time it was close to £300.  I asked about the difference in going "private". I think there may be a bit more attention to cosmetic detail in private crowns, and maybe a bit better selection of materials, colour matching etc - there's a very slight overhang of my crown over the tooth for instance - but otherwise it's been perfect. And as Reg says, no technicisn or dentist sets out to do a bad job.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #11 on: 21 July, 2009, 08:43:48 pm »
How the hell am I supposed to know who to trust for such an important job?

Ask around the office!

I work from home and although the dog did have most of his teeth out recently I can't get him to come up with a recommendation of any kind.  ;D ;D

alan

« Reply #12 on: 21 July, 2009, 09:53:05 pm »
Your K9 won't discuss canine teeth.Extract the facts from him.

I already have two coats on ....

mr endon

« Reply #13 on: 21 July, 2009, 11:39:54 pm »

Yebbut not all more complex procedures are available on the NHS. Or are they? I've been told my options for a calamitous molar are extraction on the NHS or root canal and crown privately for @£800: NHS root canals are only available for teeth forward of this molar, allegedly. Does this sound plausible?

Regulator

« Reply #14 on: 22 July, 2009, 08:48:54 am »

Yebbut not all more complex procedures are available on the NHS. Or are they? I've been told my options for a calamitous molar are extraction on the NHS or root canal and crown privately for @£800: NHS root canals are only available for teeth forward of this molar, allegedly. Does this sound plausible?

Sorry - you're being had.  I've had NHS root canal work on molars (twice).

Green Party Councillor

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #15 on: 22 July, 2009, 09:51:34 am »
Yes - available on the NHS.  More profitable for the dentist privately.

One of the hazards of mixing private & public health systems - Cameron take note!
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2009, 12:15:39 pm »
Sorry - you're being had.  I've had NHS root canal work on molars (twice).

Maybe mr endon has a real purty mouth and there's not enough room to get the Black and Decker in?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #17 on: 22 July, 2009, 01:16:07 pm »

Nope, they're just not prepared to offer it on the NHS, and unfortunately they have that ioption. I speak as one who has had the first half of a root canal done yesterday, and has the second half (or possibly second third if the filing and drying can't be managed next week) scheduled for next week. Cost £48 total. Time in chair 1-1 1/2 hiours. BUT our dentist is atypical. The NHS dentistry is carried out not by partners, but gy Guys graduates on placement, so the dentist you see is only there for 6 months before changing. Hasn't bothered either myself or my wife, all have been universally good, and of course up to date with treatment options. However not hugely well paid I suspect.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #18 on: 20 August, 2009, 01:53:22 pm »
Thanks to your input I found a NHS dentist and had my first visit today. The initial examination was the most thorough I have ever had and gave me loads of confidence in the practice.

The good news is that the bridge is sound, I just need to pay more attention to cleaning it. After 30 years, I was shown how to floss it properly for the first time.

£16.50 to include the first scale and polish, as Regulator said.

I am very happy with that.