Author Topic: How low should one go?  (Read 4431 times)

simonp

How low should one go?
« on: 23 July, 2009, 05:27:36 pm »
My BMI is currently 21.6.  Underweight is classified as <18.5, which means I could lose about 10kg (down to 62kg) and still not be underweight.

But, what would be a sensible target?  67kg?

Zoidburg

Re: How low should one go?
« Reply #1 on: 23 July, 2009, 05:33:17 pm »
I find BMI to be tosh in some cases

It is a very rough guide and does not take into account your build or what you do for a living or for fun. I am - according to BMI on the brink of being "overweight" at times, which if you saw me is plainly rubbish. I am 5'10" on the slim side but at times I have weighed as much as 72kg depending on how much I have been hitting the gym or doing manual labour.

You need a proper body fat measurement to know if you are carrying fat or muscle, then decide if you want to loose it.

How tall are you?

« Reply #2 on: 23 July, 2009, 05:39:19 pm »
How tall are you?

BMI = weight_in_kg / (height_in_m)2

h2 = w / BMI

h2 = 72 / 21.6

h2 = 3.333333

h = 1.825m = 6ft
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2009, 05:40:42 pm »
182cms, 71.5kg.

I used to be 67kg, about 12 years ago.

Body fat was about 11% back then - completely normal.  I don't have a large build.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »
How do you look in shorts?
Desirable?
Belsen resident?
Flabby?
Does anything outside your shorts flap about when you jump?
You sound slim enough to a fattie like me.
Too thin is not good either.

Zoidburg

« Reply #5 on: 23 July, 2009, 06:52:28 pm »

Carefull my dear, Hummers is watching and listening, ready for the slightest slip up.

simonp

« Reply #6 on: 23 July, 2009, 07:20:04 pm »
How do you look in shorts?
Desirable?
Belsen resident?
Flabby?
You sound slim enough to a fattie like me.
Too thin is not good either.

Desirable isn't the word I'd use, but not flabby either (probably was a few months ago but I've got that sorted), and not a Belsen resident.  To me, I just look normal.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 23 July, 2009, 07:53:37 pm »
You still sound slim enough to a fattie like me...

« Reply #8 on: 23 July, 2009, 08:03:38 pm »
You're verging on being a rake. Why the need to lose any more?

My BMI hasn't been below 25 since I was a scrawny teenager. There's no doubt I could drop the extra half stone to get down to the "normal" BMI band (76.2kg for me) but I'm quite happy staying where I am, even if I do sit in the "overweight" band. When I asked my Doc about it (jokingly) she simply said "you're a stocky build and have muscles, BMI won't work for you".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:04:05 pm »
Just used a NHS Website to calculate my BMI, 20, that's OK for me. I look good, Helen would describe me as Desirable I think. I don't jump anymore since I broke my pelvis.

simonp

« Reply #10 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:06:50 pm »
You're verging on being a rake. Why the need to lose any more?

My BMI hasn't been below 25 since I was a scrawny teenager. There's no doubt I could drop the extra half stone to get down to the "normal" BMI band (76.2kg for me) but I'm quite happy staying where I am, even if I do sit in the "overweight" band. When I asked my Doc about it (jokingly) she simply said "you're a stocky build and have muscles, BMI won't work for you".

To get my power to weight ratio up a bit.  :)

Just as you have always been built a certain way, so have I.  When I in my late 20s I weighed 69kg, but my body fat was 18% - whereas you have muscle, I lack it.  I'm still heavier than I was then, but the body fat % is a bit lower due to the muscle I've put on through silly amounts of cycling.  I wasn't at all happy when I nearly hit 12st last December, though. :)

« Reply #11 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:16:17 pm »
You sound like me Simon, when I did some paragliding in the early 90s I was 69kg. I am pleased with the way I am at my age. At my heaviest in 2001 I was 96 and about 90 in early 2008 after being laid up for 5 months after breaking my pelvis. Since I started weight training at Christmas I am climbing better than I ever have done, it's bound to have increased my power. I don't want to lower my weight anymore though. I can go as low as 66 to keep my BMI in the green.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #12 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:35:36 pm »
Unless you train very hard, you may find you lose power as you lose weight.  I always do.  The other thing to watch for is a weakened immune system.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 23 July, 2009, 09:45:08 pm »
Without significant training, it's common to lose a pound of muscle for each pound of fat.  BMI and gross power both go down.  Hm.  Is this all prompted by Wiggins's skinny mountain physique?
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #14 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:05:34 pm »
I would second what has been said above. When I started rowing seriously i gained weight very quickly as my power was going up. I was heavier but was able to sprint up some stairs for instance quicker. So I would be wary of losing weight at the expense of power. If you are really that keen, may be you could try to loose some upper body weight as it is useless on a bike.
Chief cat entertainer.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #15 on: 23 July, 2009, 10:17:36 pm »
My BMI works out at 21.1 and to be honest, my composition is probably the best it's ever been. Faster than ever on the bike. More strength in the upper body for carrying kids around and menial tasks like gardening.

I'm somewhere between 5'9-10 and ~65 kg.

simonp

« Reply #16 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:02:27 pm »
Without significant training, it's common to lose a pound of muscle for each pound of fat.  BMI and gross power both go down.  Hm.  Is this all prompted by Wiggins's skinny mountain physique?

Well, I'm riding about 1250 miles this month.  I rode 750 miles last month.

My weight has dropped 4.5kg since December, and my gross power output has gone up.  I set a personal best for 30min and 1 hour power up in the first stage of the MSG 300 last month.

My weight's been static for the last month but I'm clearly losing fat and gaining muscle, which is good.  People tell me I've lost weight, when I haven't - the scales say it's static.

It's prompted by realising that losing weight whilst maintaining maximum power output results in a higher VO2max.
  To me, Wiggins looks unhealthy.

« Reply #17 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:05:21 pm »

To me, Wiggins looks unhealthy.

The old cyclists' saying: "He looks too healthy to be fit."

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #18 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:12:09 pm »
Wiggins *is* unhealthy for a long term weight. It is a temporary state which will allegedly be alleviated by bondage and force feeding of cake once his pootle around France is done.

On the other hand, I am the polar opposite - some way from being described as a racing snake.

With a lot of hard work I might get my weight down to merely obese, or maybe I shoudl invest in a rack and increase my height instead.

..d

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #19 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:18:19 pm »
At age nineteen I was a fraction under six foot, and nine and a half stone.  I am now just a little shorter (due to age and gravity) 181cm - and seventy-three kilos. I shall leave those interested to do the calculations.

simonp

« Reply #20 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:30:45 pm »
I was 8.5st at 18, 9 st at 19, and 9.5st at 20.

« Reply #21 on: 23 July, 2009, 11:45:35 pm »

Okay, you win.  ;)

simonp

« Reply #22 on: 24 July, 2009, 01:13:28 am »

Okay, you win.  ;)

:)

On that progression I should be 18st now.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #23 on: 24 July, 2009, 08:30:26 am »
I would be 25st!

I weighed half a stone for every year from the age of five until I was about 14.
Then things went 'pear-shaped'...

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #24 on: 24 July, 2009, 09:23:15 am »
Wiggins *is* unhealthy for a long term weight. It is a temporary state which will allegedly be alleviated by bondage and force feeding of cake once his pootle around France is done.

Aye.  Peak performance and health are not tightly related.

Granted us belly fellas could do with losing a few, but extremes of lightness and of leanness that make for elite athletic performance come with all sorts of bad things. 

Having said that, I'm going to try to starve off a few kilos before I get to the Alps next month...
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.