Author Topic: Headaches and achy eyes? - eyesight getting better!  (Read 2604 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Headaches and achy eyes? - eyesight getting better!
« on: 27 July, 2009, 11:11:50 am »
Normally a contact lens wearer, I’d been getting headaches and strange visual stuff going on for about a week, so I went to the opticians on Friday for a check up.  I was worried that I had some kind of a problem with the contact lenses and wearing my old glasses made it more comfortable (although didn’t completely eliminate the problem)

It turns out that although I’m still quite badly short-sighted, my eyesight has actually got a little better (around half a dioptre for a prescription strength of about five in either eye).  This after my eyesight had been getting worse for most of my adult life!  It had only just stabilized at the last test.

Is this normal?  Liz said it was a sign of getting old, but I’d never heard of it.

It's given me an opportunity to order some fabulous new funky specs, but I'm going to have to sling out my stock of contact lenses...
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Re: Headaches and achy eyes? - eyesight getting better!
« Reply #1 on: 27 July, 2009, 11:22:33 am »
It is your brain shrinking and causing less distortion on your eyeballs.

« Reply #2 on: 27 July, 2009, 11:29:52 am »
I had something like that although I am not a regular specs or contact lense wearer. I knew my eyes had deteriorated and bought the cheapest new pair I could find. My pension doesn't stretch any further :demon:

Although somewhat improved for driving, I still had achy, tired eyes and resorted to lots of eye drops and an antibiotic applied regularly.

This did the trick and whilst not a 100% cure I feel almost back to normal, I think :D
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #3 on: 27 July, 2009, 11:51:12 am »
Normally a contact lens wearer, I’d been getting headaches and strange visual stuff going on for about a week, so I went to the opticians on Friday for a check up.  I was worried that I had some kind of a problem with the contact lenses and wearing my old glasses made it more comfortable (although didn’t completely eliminate the problem)

It turns out that although I’m still quite badly short-sighted, my eyesight has actually got a little better (around half a dioptre for a prescription strength of about five in either eye).  This after my eyesight had been getting worse for most of my adult life!  It had only just stabilized at the last test.

Is this normal?  Liz said it was a sign of getting old, but I’d never heard of it.

It's given me an opportunity to order some fabulous new funky specs, but I'm going to have to sling out my stock of contact lenses...

It does happen Charlotte, Mr Welshness' eyesight improved about 8 years ago, plus I have heard of other cases. Bloody good excuse for new glasses  :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4 on: 27 July, 2009, 11:54:51 am »
My brother wore glasses for pretty much his entire childhood and adult life. Now aged 64, he finds he can read OK without glasses.

I'm finding the opposite. Up to the age of 40 I had the best eyesight of pretty well all my relatives. Over the past 15 years I have changed to stronger prescriptions about 4 times.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #5 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »
Old folks get long-sighted.  It's not unusual for short-sighted people to improve as the age-related deterioration counters the squinty deterioration of youth. :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:22:29 pm »
May I be the first to say haa ha speccy.

Don't you notice that some girls look so much fitter/attractive in the correct specticles.

Jezza

« Reply #7 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:24:20 pm »
Teh Liz is right (obv.) Simple myopia tends to be because the muscles in the eye are optically too powerful for the focal length. As we age muscles slacken a little, including those in the eye, which can bring about an improvement in shortsightedness. Go too far, get too slack, and you'll end up longsighted.

How about a nice pair of pince-nez Headmistress-style reading glasses?   ;)

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #8 on: 27 July, 2009, 12:40:33 pm »
Also, as you get older your lenses gradually stiffen and lose their ability to change focus so your eyes become fixed focus - as mine are now (at age 56) - left eye at 60cm and right at 40cm.

Varifocal glasses are brilliant.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:02:48 pm »

*hardest ever stare*

Don't you notice that some girls look so much fitter/attractive in the correct specticles.

There are whole swathes of people for whom glasses are a massive turn on  :)

How about a nice pair of pince-nez Headmistress-style reading glasses?   ;)

But I can't get my hair back in a bun since I had it cut short  ::-)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:10:19 pm »
Use gel.

Then get some Morpheus fangirl shades.   :thumbsup:
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:13:25 pm »
*googles*

Dear Lord - people actually buy them?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2009, 01:26:38 pm »

*hardest ever stare*

Over the glasses, sexy school mistress sort of way?  :-*

« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2009, 07:13:42 pm »

*hardest ever stare*

But slightly ill-focussed ?

I wish my eyes would start to improve- I've just had to go to an even stronger lens for my left eye  ::-)

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2009, 08:36:33 pm »
I'm a bit short sighted but over the years have got less short shorted, so I'm hoping at some point I'll have 20/20 vision.  Not sure if the change is linear or logarithmic though.....
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #15 on: 27 July, 2009, 08:56:45 pm »

Would my half-frame reading specs cut it?

I'm getting very long-sighted. Also my eyes seem to have become unresponsive enough that I need different strengths of lens for different tasks. It's a pain.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #16 on: 27 July, 2009, 09:03:28 pm »

*hardest ever stare*

Don't you mean *hardest ever (but a bit squinty) stare*  ?     ;D ;D

<hides in cupboard under the stairs>
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

fuzzy

« Reply #17 on: 28 July, 2009, 01:27:00 pm »

Oh yes!