Author Topic: I iz borked  (Read 2046 times)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
I iz borked
« on: 03 August, 2009, 08:53:32 am »
Last week I managed to slip on the stairs (we live in a cottage which has very steep stairs with narrow treads and I have big feet).  As I fell I grabbed at the handrail.  In doing so something went ping in my chest, and I twisted my knee.

The knee was alright after a couple of days - but my chest is still very sore.  In fact, it has got more painful over the last few days.  It can be uncomfortable to move and sneezing is bloody painful (which is not helpful as I have hayfever).

After several nights of me not being able to sleep properly, Mr R suggested a trip to A&E.  He accompanied me - which meant I was seen quickly (him being a consultant at the hospital has it's uses  ;)).

Well, I have somehow managed to crack a rib... :-\  I didn't hit my chest - it was purely the angle at which the muscles got pulled.  Nothing they can do other than offer analgesia and suggest that I rest and avoid strenuous exercise (as if!).

Funnily enough, the one place I feel the most comfortable is on the bike...  so I guess I shall have to recuperate by riding.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Re: I iz borked
« Reply #1 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:10:01 am »
And sleep on yer bike :P

Very painful but not actually borked whatever that means, it is called a cracked rib or fracture.
"100% PURE FREAKING AWESOME"

« Reply #2 on: 03 August, 2009, 09:13:36 am »
At least when I did that it was a bike crash . . . .  down Mongewell hill, off-road.  :P

You have my sympathy. I remember what it felt like. I think it's typical that it gets worse for a while. In my case I cycled a few miles to the pub afterwards, had a couple of pints of analgesic, then cycled about 15 miles home with no trouble. But next day I could hardly move or breathe, & went to A&E.

It should be much improved in a couple of weeks, as long as you don't overdo it.

Did they tell to make sure you breathe deeply occasionally, even though it hurts?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:39:25 am »
GWS Regulator!
I'll try to avoid too many jokes...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:44:25 am »
Oh dear.  Poor Reg.  GWS. 

But really, that's not a very heroic injury.  You could have made up a better story, and we'd have believed it... :)
Getting there...

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #5 on: 03 August, 2009, 11:57:54 am »
Hope you is fixed soon Regs!  :-*

« Reply #6 on: 03 August, 2009, 02:41:02 pm »
"He accompanied me - which meant I was seen quickly (him being a consultant at the hospital has it's uses   ;)."

Which meant you jumped the queue so some poor granny spent another sleepless night on a trolly in a corridor with drunks being sick all over her. How do you sleep at night?

Get well soon  ;)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #7 on: 03 August, 2009, 02:47:36 pm »
"He accompanied me - which meant I was seen quickly (him being a consultant at the hospital has it's uses   ;)."

Which meant you jumped the queue so some poor granny spent another sleepless night on a trolly in a corridor with drunks being sick all over her. How do you sleep at night?

Get well soon  ;)

Isn't that positive discrimination?  ;D

Hope you get better soon Greg, ribs do be hurtful and you can't play in the dungeon until they're healed.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #8 on: 03 August, 2009, 03:03:37 pm »
Owchhh! Get well soon Regulator.

ps. We need some choice, laugh-out-loud jokes for this thread  :demon:

« Reply #9 on: 03 August, 2009, 03:56:25 pm »
Poor Regulator  :'(

Fancy a big get well hug?

« Reply #10 on: 03 August, 2009, 06:15:34 pm »
Gentle hug Reg!  Get well soon.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #11 on: 03 August, 2009, 06:32:13 pm »
Sure its a broken rib?

I damaged the hinged joints and they were sore for ages.  So no big hugs, sneezes, coughs or laughs for you

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 04 August, 2009, 01:49:02 am »
You por bugger, rest up and be spoiled for a while.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 04 August, 2009, 03:05:28 pm »
I probably did the same a couple of weeks back. Bloody painful, but it's mostly gone away now. Pathetically, i did mine pulling out a stubborn tent peg!

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #14 on: 05 August, 2009, 07:50:52 pm »
Ouch-ouch-ouch.  GWS.  :-*

As for sleeping on the bike, I recommend audaxes of no less than 600km.  ;D
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #15 on: 06 August, 2009, 08:02:10 pm »
Clearly you've got very strong chest muscles, if they've managed to break a rib on their own.   ;D

Take it easy, and don't make yourself laugh.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #16 on: 06 August, 2009, 08:10:49 pm »
Ouch, ouch, ouch, hope you get well soonest.

Did they tell to make sure you breathe deeply occasionally, even though it hurts?

Remember to do that bit, very painful, but very important.