Author Topic: Numb hands / carpal tunnel  (Read 4802 times)

LEE

Re: Numb hands / carpal tunnel
« Reply #25 on: 16 August, 2009, 07:30:40 pm »
I cured my numb hand syndrome by ditching my padded mitts and getting some plain MTB gloves (no padding apart from reinforced palm) from Halfords.

Vava

« Reply #26 on: 16 August, 2009, 07:44:24 pm »
hmmmm dont seem to have any stills only short video..... cant post video eh?

Vava

« Reply #27 on: 16 August, 2009, 07:46:05 pm »
I cured my numb hand syndrome by ditching my padded mitts and getting some plain MTB gloves (no padding apart from reinforced palm) from Halfords.

have tried full finger gloves  - half fingers and no gloves - it is always the same. Except it happens quicker with the long fingered gloves as they seem to ride up my hands and squish between my fingers as well which worsens the problem and makes it happen quicker.

Vava

« Reply #28 on: 16 August, 2009, 08:01:15 pm »
Can you post a pic of you on t'bike ?

no laughing allowed - was my first time on my new bike and I was really proud of myself cos i had just learned to get off by the leg over method!

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #29 on: 17 August, 2009, 07:49:10 pm »

no laughing allowed - was my first time on my new bike and I was really proud of myself cos i had just learned to get off by the leg over method!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND2jOrF2tjw

This video is private.

Vava

« Reply #30 on: 17 August, 2009, 09:38:26 pm »
oops - now sharing with the world.....

Fixedwheelnut

• "If it ain't fixed it's broken"
    • My photos
« Reply #31 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:13:42 pm »
 I had trouble after PBP 2003 and the numbness in my right hand went after a month, but the grip with my right thumb was still weak and it was in the December when lifting a pint of beer my thumb clicked and it returned all of a sudden, our pub diagnosis was that a tendon clicked back in to place and resumed the correct leverage mechanisms required.

I had no such troubles on LEL 2005 but I had prepared with more miles and used 'Specialized Bar Phat wrap' and the BG gloves, I was also more aware of shaking out my hands more often to relieve the circulation.
"Don't stop pedalling"

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ND2jOrF2tjw&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ND2jOrF2tjw&rel=1</a>

I would probably fall off doing that  :o

Vava

« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:23:53 pm »
 :P

« Reply #34 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:33:58 pm »
oops - now sharing with the world.....
I had bad hand/ damaged nerves after PBP 2007 and since then have found the onset of tingling fingers comes after less and less miles. Earlier this year I had my riding position professionally analysed and was given a set up/dimensions radically different from that which I'd been riding for (too many) years - much higher at the front and a shorter top tube. This revised position has markedly improved things.

This in no way makes me an expert but drawing from my own experience, it looks to me as though you are a little too stretched out. Your arms are almost straight and suggest there's too much weight on them - you could experiment by flipping the stem so it's rising rather than horizontal - this will raise and shorten your reach. It's not clear from the video but you may have a spacer above the stem that can be swapped to underneath it, further raising the 'bars. All of these changes are easily made and are reversible so if it doesn't work, you can revert to the present setup.

Vava

« Reply #35 on: 27 August, 2009, 06:45:38 pm »
Went to LBS - they were totally fab and got out a long ruler and moved the seat forward - tilted the handlebars a different way - turned around the bit that attaches the handlebars to the bike so that it tilted upwards and then moved the handlebars up a little. 14 miles and still a bit of tingling but not anywhere as bad as before. He took about half an hour talking to me saying why he was doing things and actually doing them and then wouldnt take any money from me!

I said why and he said if you are comfy on your bike you will ride it more and then you will eventually need a new bike and hopefully you will consider us when you do. He laughed at me gawping at him and said, "I know it is a long term plan."

I think I need the bars raising a little more so I will take it back again and this time to show my appreciation I will buy something as well.  ;D

« Reply #36 on: 28 August, 2009, 06:43:11 am »
Went to LBS - they were totally fab and got out a long ruler and moved the seat forward - tilted the handlebars a different way - turned around the bit that attaches the handlebars to the bike so that it tilted upwards and then moved the handlebars up a little. 14 miles and still a bit of tingling but not anywhere as bad as before. He took about half an hour talking to me saying why he was doing things and actually doing them and then wouldnt take any money from me! I said why and he said if you are comfy on your bike you will ride it more and then you will eventually need a new bike and hopefully you will consider us when you do. He laughed at me gawping at him and said, "I know it is a long term plan." I think I need the bars raising a little more so I will take it back again and this time to show my appreciation I will buy something as well.  ;D
Sounds like a good LBS - pleased to hear you're making progress.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #37 on: 30 August, 2009, 05:53:24 pm »
After PBP, it took three months for my grip (forefinger to thumb) and the ability to straighten my small and ring finger to return.

In theory, I should have more problems as I have lowered the bars sonce then but that isn't how things have panned out and had no real and issues after LEL.

+ another one for the Specialized BG Gell mitts although they do seem to wear out quickly.

H