Author Topic: New drugs  (Read 1750 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
New drugs
« on: 05 August, 2009, 10:19:09 pm »
So they've taken away all my good drugs and replaced them with 1100mg of Ibuprofen and 40mg of Omeprazole to be taken in the mornings just after I wake up. Now I'm a little worried about the 1100mg of Ibuprofen, aren't you usually only ment to take 200mg 3 times a day before it starts messing with you?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Re: New drugs
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2009, 10:21:33 pm »
Now I'm a little worried about the 1100mg of Ibuprofen, aren't you usually only ment to take 200mg 3 times a day before it starts messing with you?

Unless prescribed. You've got to assume they know what they're doing.

[EDIT]

Wikipedia (if you trust it) puts the maximum recommended daily dose at 1200mg for over the counter use. I know I've come close to that limit at points during long Audaxes.

Under medical direction this can be increased to 3200mg.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2009, 10:35:35 pm »
Thanks for the info :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2009, 10:51:36 pm »
The normal chemists tablets are 200mg, and you're allowed to take 2 at a time.  3 times a day equates to 1200mg.  My doc has twice recommended I do that for a week to try and reduce my back/ribs inflamation.
You can get prescription pills where there's 1200mg in one pill. :)  Probably a good idea to take it with food though...

« Reply #4 on: 05 August, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »
I had some 1200s prescribed once. In Majorca we bought 600s over the counter, can't be that bad. I took 3 x 200 x 2 in about 6 hours during LEL due to toothache

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #5 on: 05 August, 2009, 11:01:58 pm »
How does it compare to the good stuff? The ibuprofen is replacing 42mg of Zanaflex and 55mg of diazepam daily.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2009, 08:15:59 am »
Dunno, sorry.  Cocodamol is about the strongest I've taken (and I don't remember the numbers on that because it was a while ago).  That's good stuff. :)

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2009, 08:47:29 am »
Dunno, sorry.  Cocodamol is about the strongest I've taken <snip> That's good stuff. :)
And people say cycling doesn't have a doping problem any more?  ;)
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2009, 08:52:46 am »
The good stuff ? Whilst suffereing from a broken pelvis, that is before any repairs were made I was on Dihyrocodeine now that was my favourite painkiller, I preferred it to Tramadol. The former really helped me sleep whilst the latter,once asleep made it really hard to wake up. The Morphine post op didn't seem to do much except make me hallucinate wildly

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2009, 09:07:15 am »
I guess the omeprazole is to prevent you getting a stomach ulcer from the regular use of ibuprofen. I avoid it because I am already having to take omeprazole.

As a result I used no painkillers at all on lel. Drug free audax is possible. :). Apart from the omeprazole the strepsils and the coffee of course.   

« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2009, 01:04:59 pm »
  Probably a good idea to take it with food though...

And also with cold drinks only, not hot drinks (though thats a good thing with any meds).
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2009, 03:04:45 pm »
Dunno, sorry.  Cocodamol is about the strongest I've taken <snip> That's good stuff. :)
And people say cycling doesn't have a doping problem any more?  ;)
That was post knee surgery.  They made me walk on it immediately. Ouchy. 
In my experience, American footballers tend to be more painkiller savvy than say football or cricket.  Can't think why. ;)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:58:45 pm »
I've tried to take that lot twice today, both times puked up :(

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #13 on: 07 August, 2009, 12:10:10 am »
When I did P Company, we  got through an awful lot of Brufen 600s, the big pink ones.  I still take a 200 or two before playing rugby as a prophylactic..