Author Topic: Core Strength  (Read 1161 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Core Strength
« on: 06 August, 2009, 11:04:26 am »
Prompted by the Numb Hands/Carpal Tunnel thread.

I've heard of Core Strength a lot but what exactly is it?

As it sounds like a 'good thing' what can I do to improve mine? Preferably with simple equipment rather than resorting to a gym.

Re: Core Strength
« Reply #1 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:06:52 am »
There are loads of links on the web, here's one for cyclists

Core - bicycling.com

here's another with yet more links

core strength - About.com : Exercise

not much if any equipment is needed. I started with just a Swiss Ball and a couple of books for instruction. Gym isn't needed but helps me with motivation

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:13:23 am »
As MSeries says, there are loads of resources on t'web.  To answer your question the core muscles are as they sound, the muscles at the core of your body (Abs and lower back).  Most people first coming to cycling on road, or even off road, find they get lower back pain after rides.

Little or no equipment is needed, in fact I find one exercise that helps me a lot is the good old bridge/plank, holding for 20 seconds and doing 3 repeats.  Sounds relatively easy but getting all the way through the third one without shaking like a dog sh****g razor blades takes some doing!!! :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:21:03 am »
How do we know this is an issue with the hand pain thing?

(My thinking is that you shouldn't be using your core muscles to take weight off your hands for 1400km. Your core may help you maintain good posture - a good thing - but not change your weight distribution.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:23:21 am »
If your core is weak you will shift your body weight over to the hands and not back over the saddle.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2009, 11:28:54 am »
We don't know "this is an issue with the hand pain thing". Good position is vital too, with little or no weight on the bars.  My experience has shown me that a trained core is beneficial. I was told it was, I read it was, I didn't do anything about it until I broke my pelvis. Now I am a better cyclist. YMMV.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2009, 12:31:20 pm »
There are loads of links on the web, here's one for cyclists

Core - bicycling.com

here's another with yet more links

core strength - About.com : Exercise

not much if any equipment is needed. I started with just a Swiss Ball and a couple of books for instruction. Gym isn't needed but helps me with motivation

Thanks just what I needed!