Author Topic: What on earth have I done to my leg?  (Read 1105 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
What on earth have I done to my leg?
« on: 07 August, 2009, 08:11:35 pm »
The fact that tonight was the maiden voyage of my new fixie is, I'm sure not related to the problem. About a mile into the ride I started to get cramp like pain in my inner quads left leg. Over five miles I had to stop four or five time because the pain was intense. I'm home now and resting but it is really painful to walk. I'm supposed to be riding fifty plus miles tomorrow but I can't see it happening.

The only explanation I can think of is mowing Mum's lawn this morning. Not something I am used to doing. Just pushing a light Flymow backwards and forward for about twenty minutes. I can't believe how much it hurts.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: What on earth have I done to my leg?
« Reply #1 on: 08 August, 2009, 05:01:36 am »
How big is the gear and what is the terrain like? Is the ride position the same as your other bikes including knees? My knees sit narrower with my fixie than any of my road bikes and it took a bit of getting used too.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

alan

« Reply #2 on: 08 August, 2009, 05:51:36 am »
How is it this morning?

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #3 on: 08 August, 2009, 07:27:14 am »
The pain has gone and the muscles just feel slightly abnormal. I'm going to start he ride (on my geared bike) and turn back at the first sign of any pain. I don't want to spoil next weeks Trough Ride.

« Reply #4 on: 08 August, 2009, 10:09:00 am »
I mentioned this on the Readers Bikes thread. Pay attention to the saddle position relative to the BB, fore/aft as well as height. Your body will adapt but it'll suffer if you ask it to keep adapting from one to the other if the are radically different. Maybe you should choose a lower gear until you get used to riding a Fixed Wheel, then raise to what you need for the descents and climbs and flat.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #5 on: 08 August, 2009, 01:24:47 pm »
I really don't think this has got anything to do with the fixed. The pain began after less than a mile.

Today I set off with a group to ride to Southport. I was on the geared bike and for the first ten miles I had no problems at all and then at around twelve mile the pain started again so I turned back. It was nowhere near as bad as last night and didn't seem to increase on the return journey. Ridiculous as it might seem I think I must have strained something whilst mowing Mum's lawn.

« Reply #6 on: 08 August, 2009, 01:57:12 pm »
Poor you. :( Reminds me of when I did my back/neck in while simply waving my arms in the air.  ::-)  Not cycling is dangerous!