Author Topic: Balls - are they all equal? Swiss that is.  (Read 1842 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Balls - are they all equal? Swiss that is.
« on: 09 August, 2009, 09:10:22 am »
We are thinking of getting one of these and they are available from cheapo outlets for not very much money. Do they vary much in quality or is an inflatable ball an inflatable ball at the end of the day?

Chris S

Re: Balls - are they all equal? Swiss that it.
« Reply #1 on: 09 August, 2009, 09:43:01 am »
We have a £4.99 Tesco ball that's stayed inflated for two years - can't be bad.

Size is probably more the issue - they come in different sizes. If you lie on your back, with your calves on the ball and your butt close against the ball, you want the angles at your pelvis and knee to be as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Some exercises on balls are damn hard to get the hang of. If you want a wet-yourself-laughing evening, have a couple or few drinks with some friends, then get the exercise book out and get everyone having a turn.

Annie was our resident expert on balls...

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #2 on: 09 August, 2009, 09:50:13 am »
Cheers Chris, that made me giggle. Gill and I have just been laid on the floor with our legs in the air comparing right angles. Well it is Sunday morning after all.  ;D

alan

« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2009, 09:50:58 am »
Cheers Chris, that made me giggle. Gill and I have just been led on the floor with our legs in the air comparing right angles. Well it is Sunday morning after all.  ;D

TMI ;)

« Reply #4 on: 09 August, 2009, 10:09:08 am »
I think they do vary: you can buy different grades and some are stronger, and easier to work on, than others. My gym has a variety and some are definitely better if you're trying to kneel on them, for instance. They just hold their shape better.

Also, I know my sister bought a cheap one in a supermarket and it's impossible to inflate to the size it says - so she effectively has a 55 when she wanted a 70 (or something - not sure on the sizes!)

« Reply #5 on: 09 August, 2009, 07:07:53 pm »
Out cheap one from TK Max doesn't inflate to big enough size. My Fitness Mad (Fitness Mad - Skipping/Speed Ropes, Swiss/Medicine/fit Ball, Exercise/Aerobic Mats, Fitness Training, dumbbell (dumbell), Weight lifting, Free/hand Weights) one that a very kind friend bought for me is much better, it is priced at less than £20.

NB using the balls on different surfaces makes a big difference. Hard surfaces make the roll more as does having then harder.

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #6 on: 09 August, 2009, 07:16:46 pm »
Out cheap one from TK Max doesn't inflate to big enough size. My Fitness Mad (Fitness Mad - Skipping/Speed Ropes, Swiss/Medicine/fit Ball, Exercise/Aerobic Mats, Fitness Training, dumbbell (dumbell), Weight lifting, Free/hand Weights) one that a very kind friend bought for me is much better, it is priced at less than £20.

NB using the balls on different surfaces makes a big difference. Hard surfaces make the roll more as does having then harder.

What size did you buy Martin. Measuring our own limbs suggested 55cm but according to most guides I have seen would indicate 65cm for heights of 5'5" to 6'.

« Reply #7 on: 09 August, 2009, 07:24:39 pm »
I have a 65cm, though I think it is inflated to larger than that. (NB I didn't buy this one) The ones I use in the gym seem smaller.  We bought a 55cm for my wife.

My book,  Fitball Workout by Jan Endicott, gives 65cm ball for 5'9" - 6'3", 55cm for 5'3" 5'8" 

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2009, 07:26:59 pm »
I have a 65cm, though I think it is inflated to larger than that. (NB I didn't buy this one) The ones I use in the gym seem smaller.  We bought a 55cm for my wife.

My book,  Fitball Workout by Jan Endicott, gives 65cm ball for 5'9" - 6'3", 55cm for 5'3" 5'8" 

Thanks, 55cm it is then. Two short arses here.  ;D

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 09 August, 2009, 08:04:00 pm »
Thanks, 55cm it is then. Two short arses here.  ;D

Someone: "Toeknee - what size are your balls?"
Toeknee: "55cm"
Someone: "Wow!"

;D

« Reply #10 on: 10 August, 2009, 08:33:24 am »
If/when you work hard enough (quite easy) to glow/perspire you'll be grateful for a ball with a grippy surface for doing pushups etc.
"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'