Author Topic: Talk to me about how to use a heart rate monitor  (Read 4674 times)

Re: Talk to me about how to use a heart rate monitor
« Reply #25 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:42:20 pm »
My HR tends to remain somewhat elevated after a long exercise session.  Around 90bpm for the remainder of the evening.  Back to the normal 50bpm in the morning, usually.  Not sure why that is - the initial recovery period is very quick, it drops rapidly once I stop.

Same here, when I've accidentally left mine recording after playing 5-a-side (where it goes over 200bpm) it goes down to 120bpm within 2 minutes of stopping but it still doesn't drop below 90bpm in the 20 minutes between games (I'm sitting down watching other people play), or when finished whilst I'm sitting in the pub and doing nothing more than drinking and chatting.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:47:24 pm »
My HR tends to remain somewhat elevated after a long exercise session.  Around 90bpm for the remainder of the evening.  Back to the normal 50bpm in the morning, usually.

I think that's abnormal Simon. If it was me I'd look into that. (There's probably a good explanation, and it's quite common, but better safe ...etc ... etc ... )

(The good news is that 50bpm next morning suggests you're basically OK! :)  )

I first noticed the effect in around 1997.  It's not yet killed me.

If it does, I'll be sure to get it checked out.  ::-)

Yesterday's session was 80 miles on fixed, with quite a few lumps.  It was elevated after that for sure.

Right now it's high 50s.  Mmm, coffee.

gonzo

« Reply #27 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:54:09 pm »
HR max is pretty much independant of fitness. It's a genetic thing.

Greenback - HR max is sport dependant so your football max is not your cycling max.

A good measure of fitness is how quickly you recover, but obviously that depends on other factors.

And because I'm overly competitive, I once had a resting HR of 37 and am fairly confident that you lot can't beat that!

Chris S

« Reply #28 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:02:11 pm »
And because I'm overly competitive, I once had a resting HR of 37 and am fairly confident that you lot can't beat that!

No I can't - but my 75yr old MiL could until recently; her resting heartrate was 35. The Powers that Be saw fit to give her a pacemaker, but as I understand it, she'd always ticked pretty slowly - much to the alarm of doctors who didn't know her.

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:03:30 pm »
I've seen 185 in football and cycling in the past year - about the same HRmax.

On a rowing machine I saw 195.

gonzo

« Reply #30 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:05:54 pm »
No I can't - but my 75yr old MiL could until recently; her resting heartrate was 35. The Powers that Be saw fit to give her a pacemaker, but as I understand it, she'd always ticked pretty slowly - much to the alarm of doctors who didn't know her.

I was just making conversation with a lady who was taking my heart rate last year when I thought I'd ask how low she'd seen HRs go. I've never seen a conversation stopper quite like her's: "0. He died"!

Chris S

« Reply #31 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:06:04 pm »

>185 is my Barfzone  :sick:.

But then I am nearly 50.

simonp

« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »
Felt pretty ropey last time I rowed 5000m.

HR wotsit had died so no idea what HR was, but I suspect it was this: lots.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2009, 05:46:01 pm »

Rowing machine are evil piece of kit  :demon:
Chief cat entertainer.