Author Topic: HRmin  (Read 3608 times)

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
HRmin
« on: 17 August, 2009, 02:01:35 pm »
What HRmin would you expect for a reasonably trained cyclist (read randonneur, not racer).

mine is 60ish, is it high or normal?
Chief cat entertainer.

Re: HRmin
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:08:29 pm »
My absolute minimum is about 46bpm at the moment. I only really get that early in the morning before I've got out of bed.

Once I've been up and about I can only really get it just under 60bpm when I've been sitting still for a few minutes.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:10:14 pm »
resting HR is usually used as any sort of guide. Mine was between 70 and 75 when when was in hospital and having it taken every 4 hours. I was on all sorts of drugs as well. I could lower it by relaxing and breathing carefully but that then lowered my blood oxygen saturation and the staff didn't like that.

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:12:41 pm »
Is a very variable and personal thing. Some folk are naturally faster than others. 60 is pretty good for a 'reasonably trained' cyclist. Depends on if this is a 'true' resting, i.e. taken first thing in the morning lying down, totally relaxed and rested.

The main use of tracking resting HR is in noting fatigue as this will cause the resting level to rise a little, though a better measure is something called heart rate variability which measures the intervals between the heart beats that occur sychronous with respiration. Won't bore you with that, as believe me I could...

Out of interest the lowest I've heard of was Miguel Indurain who's resting was reported at 28! Mind you he was probably so dosed with EPO his blood was like jam (allegedly legal types).

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:18:12 pm »
My mate Big Gav broke his leg in a scooter crash, and in hospital the nurse went running for a doctor after taking his pulse.  About 38 ISTR.  He's an almost pro-level speedskater and on team GB.

Mine's about 45 atm.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #5 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:36:32 pm »
The joys of a logging HRM. (There are a few straight lines where I must have been lying on my front and the signal from chest strap couldn't get through to the watch.)

The lowest reading (at 5:25 on the bottom scale) was 45bpm.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:41:40 pm »
I have hardly shifted off my very well-padded a**e for the past 5 years.
My resting heart rate is around 56, sometimes 50.
I can't pretend to be 'fit'; I just happen to have a low resting heart rate. That's just the way I am...

LEE

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:48:11 pm »
I don't know what my heart-rate is but, since doing long Audaxes for last 3 years, I find that I get very dizzy if I stand up quickly.  Sometimes to the point of needing to grab a doorframe.

I've heard that this can be attributed to increased fitness and lowered resting heart-rate but it's a bit worrying sometimes.

gonzo

« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:56:23 pm »
I don't know what my heart-rate is but, since doing long Audaxes for last 3 years, I find that I get very dizzy if I stand up quickly.  Sometimes to the point of needing to grab a doorframe.

I've heard that this can be attributed to increased fitness and lowered resting heart-rate but it's a bit worrying sometimes.

Ah cool, I'm glad it's common. Do you get white-outs too?

It's a great chat up line in a pub though when you can stand up, aim yourself at a cute girl then pass out!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:56:55 pm »

It might also be due to overheating and dehydration.
Make sure you remove your helmet as soon as you stop cycling, drink some water, cool your skin and get up slowly.

« Reply #10 on: 17 August, 2009, 02:58:06 pm »

Indeed. Standing up quickly drains the blood away from your head and brain (due to gravity). It needs a pump from the heart to push some more round again.

Lower heartrate == longer time between beats == more chance of this happening.

« Reply #11 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:19:02 pm »
I get this often after drawing chalk lines on the ground whilst teaching on skates.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

« Reply #12 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:20:23 pm »
I get this often after drawing chalk lines on the ground whilst teaching on skates.
drawing chalk lines around people whose HR = 0 ?

LEE

« Reply #13 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:25:39 pm »

It might also be due to overheating and dehydration.
Make sure you remove your helmet as soon as you stop cycling, drink some water, cool your skin and get up slowly.

I don't get it when cycling, just getting off the sofa.

« Reply #14 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:26:56 pm »
A club mate of mine told me that range of heart rate is more of an indicator of fitness than how low your minHR is.

We were comparing notes, and although we were both approaching 50, he was not seeing figures of high 180bpm as I was, but had a lower resting HR. He is much fitter than I, TBH.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #15 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:48:01 pm »

When I was a young man I spent a night on a couch. In the morning I got up quickly, ran upstairs and passed out just as I got to the bathroom.

Some how managed not to hit any porcelain and had a soft landing.

« Reply #16 on: 17 August, 2009, 03:51:14 pm »
We were comparing notes, and although we were both approaching 50, he was not seeing figures of high 180bpm as I was, but had a lower resting HR. He is much fitter than I, TBH.

Comparing heart rates between two people is pretty much meaningless. You should only be comparing your own values against your own values at some point in the past, i.e.

If your HRrest is suddenly up by 10bpm then it's a typical early warning of an impending cold/virus. It'll remain elevated whilst you're still under the influence of the cold, so it may still be 10bpm above your normal HRrest despite all of the obvious physical symptoms clearing up. There are also HR changes that can indicate overtraining.

« Reply #17 on: 17 August, 2009, 04:18:06 pm »

Getting up quickly dizziness is more to do with low blood pressure than HR. Congratulations, you're now at much lower risk of heart disease /strokes.
In the UK low blood pressure isn't treated as a disorder, but it is in continental Europe. I was advised after low blood pressure induced fainting to a) have more salt in my diet b) raise the foot of my bed by a couple of cms and c) improve my hydration.
Can't say it's made much difference tbh, but that was the recommendation.

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #18 on: 17 August, 2009, 05:38:17 pm »
My absolute minimum is about 46bpm at the moment. I only really get that early in the morning before I've got out of bed.

Once I've been up and about I can only really get it just under 60bpm when I've been sitting still for a few minutes.

Actually I should have said resting HR, if I stay still during the day, it will be about 60. I don't have a heart rate monitor so I just time and count which obviously is not a good way to determine the minimum.
Chief cat entertainer.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 17 August, 2009, 05:46:49 pm »

I don't have a heart rate monitor so I just time and count which obviously is not a good way to determine the minimum.

Well that method works OK for clinicians in modern hospitals all over the world, even as we speak!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 17 August, 2009, 05:54:03 pm »
About 48 here.  As for the "greying out" when standing up...it's like free drugs, innit?  I wish I could find a way to reproduce the glowing floaters you sometimes get - they're great.

Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LEE

« Reply #21 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:29:35 pm »

Getting up quickly dizziness is more to do with low blood pressure than HR.

Only the temporary low blood pressure caused by the slow heart-rate and standing quickly though (as opposed to clinical low blood pressure). 

« Reply #22 on: 18 August, 2009, 10:07:46 am »
it's like free drugs, innit? 

You should try the dreams you get when you faint. Very vivid.

« Reply #23 on: 18 August, 2009, 10:18:03 am »
it's like free drugs, innit? 

You should try the dreams you get when you faint. Very vivid.

I've been having some really strange "technical" dreams since I was knocked unconscious in an accident a month ago.  I put it down to the brain running a sort of diagnostic program during the night to re-establish some of the disconnected wiring.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24 on: 18 August, 2009, 09:32:05 pm »
I dreamed about stripping down a SRAM 3-speed hub last night.  Then I threw it away and fitted a Fichtel & Sachs Duomatic instead.

I'm not sure what this means.  I've never laid hands on either hub.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.