Author Topic: Knackered knees  (Read 1157 times)

Pilsbury

Knackered knees
« on: 17 August, 2009, 04:46:38 pm »
As well as numb hands as a result of LEL (another thread - thanks for all the suggestions and response) I also have tender knees... It's more than 2 weeks since LEL finished, but I've only managed to get out on my bike once since, for a short 10k. Hands are little improved, but tri-bars and care enable me to ride - the other problem I have is sore knees, and I'm wondering if there are any suggestions for treatment, exercises etc that might speed recovery?
Both knees are tender when exercising, just above the kneecap. No swelling, creaks, sounds, grating, loose bits - just pain when under tension.
I suspect the answer is 'don't ride for a few more weeks' but this is getting very frustrating.

Thank you yacfers!

simonp

Re: Knackered knees
« Reply #1 on: 17 August, 2009, 04:51:19 pm »
RICE.  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  Anti-inflammatories (e.g. ibuprofen).

Gentle stretching.

« Reply #2 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:17:24 pm »
RICE.  Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.  Anti-inflammatories (e.g. ibuprofen).

Gentle stretching.

Careful with the Ibuprofen - too much for too long can cause stomach/throat lining problems - don't overdo it. Patience is the key - it will mend in time.

If you haven't already done so, you might distract yourself by carefully analysing your riding position. A slight raising of the saddle, combined with not mashing high gears, might speed recovery, so long as the higher saddle doesn't cause your pelvis to rock from side to side.

simonp

« Reply #3 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:18:30 pm »

Gentle stretching.

Careful with the Ibuprofen - too much for too long can cause stomach/throat lining problems - don't overdo it. Patience is the key - it will mend in time.

Good point.  I avoid it myself due to having excessive stomach acid much of the time.

« Reply #4 on: 17 August, 2009, 10:38:27 pm »
Go walking. Off-road. Rough stuff. And perhaps see a physio if it's really bad.