Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 419665 times)

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1750 on: 19 August, 2016, 10:39:05 am »
For some reason I have entered the EWCC 25, end of this month.  Dual-carriageway A38, not-quite-dragstrip because of the nagging rise to nearly halfway.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1751 on: 19 August, 2016, 01:42:47 pm »

Who is doing the Breckland 12hr ?   I think me, cygnet and oranjh.   Hippy and PPB said they might.   Anyone else ?

Yes I've entered. Any previous riders got any tips for supporters? It looks like there's a common over-bridge at the turn of both circuits, but I can't see how this works on the opening 70miles. Or is it a case of sticking an extra bottle cage on?

Our club BAR current standings have just been updated - my 25m is out of kilter with others (That'll be the one I did in bibs/long sleeve base layer/armwarmers after forgetting to pack properly) so it could do with updating. Is a week after the 12hr too soon? After the 24 I didn't want to ride for aaages.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

rob

« Reply #1752 on: 19 August, 2016, 02:02:39 pm »

Who is doing the Breckland 12hr ?   I think me, cygnet and oranjh.   Hippy and PPB said they might.   Anyone else ?

Yes I've entered. Any previous riders got any tips for supporters? It looks like there's a common over-bridge at the turn of both circuits, but I can't see how this works on the opening 70miles. Or is it a case of sticking an extra bottle cage on?

Our club BAR current standings have just been updated - my 25m is out of kilter with others (That'll be the one I did in bibs/long sleeve base layer/armwarmers after forgetting to pack properly) so it could do with updating. Is a week after the 12hr too soon? After the 24 I didn't want to ride for aaages.

Careful with using the old route.   The organiser said on the TT forum he was making some changes although it's still mostly on A11.   I think one of the turns is due to change and the finishing circuit/HQ will be different.   I sent a mail asking for details and have been blanked so far.   My family are supporting me this time so the experience will be a little different.   I'm going to leave 2 bottle cages on so I can give them a break now and then.   I can carry 6hrs of food in my top tube bag.

rob

« Reply #1753 on: 24 August, 2016, 08:55:24 am »

The course is now up on the facebook page.   My thoughts are :-

- Put 2 bottles and 4hrs of food on the bike at the start.   
- Supporters go to Eccles Rd underpass first.   Pick up a bottle each time round and then stop at 4hrs for 2 bottles and more food.
- Once moved to second circuit helpers move to Attleborough RAB.   There's a few advantages here - there's a pub/restaurant (Breckland Lodge).   You pass in both directions in case you miss a hand up.   Helpers will see when you get turned towards the finishing circuit as you leave from there.   Pick up more food circa 8hrs.
- Helpers then move back to Hingham as it's near the HQ.
- Ride back to the HQ after running out of time.   Sod's law says you'll be at the Watton end but it's only just over 5 miles back.

If anyone sees a harassed looking woman (may give her my Catford jersey) trying to keep a 9yr old boy occupied then please say hello.

cygnet

« Reply #1754 on: 24 August, 2016, 10:55:28 pm »
Cheers rob.
It looks like a bunfight to park near the Eccles Rd underpass. Will try and 'ride' the circuits and the finish lap on  street view this weekend and keep an eye out for lay-bys.
There's a couple of potential options on the thetford circuit too I think.

rob

« Reply #1755 on: 25 August, 2016, 08:37:51 am »
Cheers rob.
It looks like a bunfight to park near the Eccles Rd underpass. Will try and 'ride' the circuits and the finish lap on  street view this weekend and keep an eye out for lay-bys.
There's a couple of potential options on the thetford circuit too I think.

it'll be fine there.   There's tonnes of room - organiser recommends you use the grass verge on the left as you bear Left off the road coming from Thetford, but you could also station people under the bridge or on the other side as you head up to rejoin the A11.    I suppose if you stand where the organiser tells you you'll see when your rider carries straight on onto the second loop - if you hang around under the bridge you might miss this.   I need to make sure my helpers are fed and watered as there's no facilities there.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1756 on: 29 August, 2016, 01:04:55 pm »
Do you remember 2012, the year of abandoned 100s?  Where Andy Wilkinson got 12 comp record and 2nd fastest 50 ever but couldn't get the BBAR despite chasing up and down the country in pursuit of a 100 mile event that actually ran?  I'm starting to feel a bit like that with 50s.

Up here in the north, out of three events I've entered in the Yorkshire and Teesside districts, two have been cancelled due to bad weather.  One of hte three did run, but had some pretty bad conditions too: half of entrants were DNS or DNF.  I was one of the finishers for that, but my time was unsurprisingly pretty slow.  Assuming I complete next week's 12, that rainy, windy, slow 50 will have to count for my BBAR ... unless I do the rearranged version of the first cancelled event.  That's a week after the 12. 

Jeez, will my saddle sores have even healed by then?  Can I really be bothered?

« Reply #1757 on: 29 August, 2016, 03:06:49 pm »
I'm going to a birthday party instead of racing the 12hr. I've never competed for BBAR so don't really care but it would've been nice to add a 12 to my fastest ever 50 and 100s.

I did break my club 10 record on Sat though which was nice. I now have the full set of Willesden CC TT records :) Today's race on the Tring course sucked but I still managed my second fastest 10 with a 20:17. At least next time I'll know the course. I think I'm done with TTs for the year now.

rob

« Reply #1758 on: 29 August, 2016, 04:27:23 pm »
The 10 I entered on the E2 last weekend was cancelled due to bad weather.   The 10 on the V that I could have done yesterday seems to have produced some massive times.   Such is life as I'm on holiday for 5 days.

Sort of looking forward to the 12 next weekend, particularly as it will be my last race of the year.

« Reply #1759 on: 29 August, 2016, 05:12:48 pm »
Tempted to enter the V718 race that's in a couple more weeks.

rob

« Reply #1760 on: 29 August, 2016, 08:13:52 pm »

I recommend a night out in Hull while you're up there.

« Reply #1761 on: 30 August, 2016, 07:38:22 am »
Those soft northerners couldn't handle me.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1762 on: 30 August, 2016, 08:45:38 am »

I recommend a night out in Hull while you're up there.
urrr nurrr  !
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1763 on: 30 August, 2016, 10:10:59 am »
I think I'm done with TTs for the year now.

Anyone else spot a possible contradiction...?

« Reply #1764 on: 30 August, 2016, 10:23:25 am »
What can I say, I'm a conflicted guy.
I wasn't even sure I was going to race this weekend but I'd entered them before TCR and felt obliged to.
Then I beat my previous PB at both races without that much effort so trying to grab an 18 before winter happens seems like a nice idea.
The 8hrs of driving to do it though, does not sound like a nice idea.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1765 on: 30 August, 2016, 09:27:10 pm »
Final evening10 TT of the season up here. Local lad Mark Stewart turned up after a training ride to help out. Not everyday your numbers get pinned on by a British Champion track rider. And he did the pushing off too. It was a confined event so club only and he couldn't ride. Took a look at the course afterwards (1 min after the last rider) and clocked an unofficial 20.58 on a road bike with two bottles. Looks in good form for the Tour of Britain (Team Great Britain) on Sunday. Looking forward to the 6-day season - he should be doing at least Ghent and London.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #1766 on: 30 August, 2016, 10:41:53 pm »

Jeez, will my saddle sores have even healed by then?  Can I really be bothered?

You mean you can't be arsed?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1767 on: 30 August, 2016, 11:21:45 pm »
OFFS how did I not spot that one?

rob

« Reply #1768 on: 04 September, 2016, 11:01:10 pm »
12hr didn't really go to plan.   Initial target was in the 260s and thus looked feasible for the first 3hrs.   The wind was pretty strong heading SW which scrubbed a lot of speed off on the long drags.   I had geared too long on 91" so could capitalise on the downwind stretches but was crawling in places.  My lower back and hip started to act up and at 7hrs I was laid on the grass on a RAB begging to go home.   I was given a talking to by Mrs Rob and set off slowly.  I still had hopes of a 250 ride as I joined the finishing circuit, but then another spoke went ping in my front wheel and it pringled.   I called the support team who were 5 miles away and lost about 15 miles while the spare turned up.   My mental arithmetic said if I could do 240 I would still get a BBAR certificate.   The GPS had 243 on when I ran out of time.

This was my 4th 12 and my second highest distance.   To put it in perspective, though, I did more miles in the first 12hrs of the 24.

I'm not racing again this year, but will review what I've done so far and work out how to approach next year.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1769 on: 05 September, 2016, 11:17:32 am »
Well, that was what it was.  I went 2 and a bit miles slower than last year - they were both tough days, but this was on a faster course and my gears behaved themselves.  Similar riders (basically the leading women, Jill and Jasmijn) beat me by 12-15 miles this year, whereas I just pipped them last year, so I guess it wa sa faster event overall and I've gone backwards.  Ah well, I knew that, it's the story of my year. 

That qualifies me (touch wood!) for the BBAR, with 23.05 mph.  That's more than a mile an hour down on my last year's speed, but I've got one event left, the rescheduled Stockton 50 in a couple of weeks.  I guess that means I'm on for a couple more weeks of abstainance, intervals and early nights!

cygnet

« Reply #1770 on: 05 September, 2016, 01:39:05 pm »
You looked fine when you went past me on the Thetford circuit early on.

I DNF'd. There's a first time for everything.
I had some mechanical issues almost straight from the go. Couldn't work out why I was going so slowly for so much effort. I got to the slip road 15minutes down on minimum schedule and climbed off but a lot of fiddling with the back wheel 'seemed' to sort it out so I gave the A Road circuits a go.
Sped up to the turn with the benefit of the tailwind but still getting squeaks from the bike. I was dry heaving all the time and couldn't keep food down. Back into the headwind and average speed dropped but levelled off at just below my required pace. I thought if I could maintain into the headwind and claw a bit back with the tailwind every time, sort out my feeding and hope my knee held out there was a chance of sneaking over 230miles for a certificate. Lots of ifs.
Then I punctured. By the time I was back on the road my average had dropped to 16mph and I was cold. The gremlins in my head won this one.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...
« Reply #1771 on: 05 September, 2016, 07:51:22 pm »
I was targeting 241 miles for a new club record but although my average speed was good enough at the end of each tailwind section it was just a little below schedule at the end of the headwind section. At 10 hours I was 3 miles down which I was never going to make up after leaving the A11 so I lost motivation and slowed considerably on the way the the finishing circuit, once there I decided that 230 looks better than  220 something so I began working towards that end, which I managed subject to official results.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1772 on: 05 September, 2016, 10:37:56 pm »
Bad luck Cygnet.  Try again next year? 

PC, the provisional results are up on the facebook group and they've got you down as 211.  They must have missed you off a lap, so get in touch with the organiser. 

One result I hope doesn't change is that of the guy who overtook me in the first ten miles.  I caught him 20 miles later and we had a classic case of testosterone-fuelled re-overtaking followed by sitting up and slowing down.  It happened often enough that it turned from annoying into funny: I decided I'd see if I could burn him up enough that he'd kill his legs.  Eventually it got annoying again and I told him to make it f'ing stick next time or we'd both get DQ'd for two-upping.  I've beaten him - just - unless he's one of the ones with a lap missing.  I hope not.

rob

« Reply #1773 on: 06 September, 2016, 08:40:02 am »
My provisional distance (242.58) gives me a BBAR average of 23.122, just 0.066 slower than last year.   I could enter another 50, but I'm done for the year.    Not sure what happened on Sunday as a lot of the field went very well, but I didn't seem to have what I needed.   My legs are pretty trashed, so it wasn't for want of trying.

« Reply #1774 on: 06 September, 2016, 09:03:59 am »
Harder to ride upwind and downwind legs with big speed difference on fixed?