Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 419474 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1900 on: 22 July, 2017, 07:22:33 pm »
A lot of those 9-up teams at Silverstone are a shambles. Averaging slower than most of the riders do on their own!

Of course it's not easy finding 9 riders with TTT/chaingang experience, (of vaguely similar speeds), and then getting enough practice time together. Which is basically why I avoid the things.

(Nothing to do with it being a lot of money. Or not being fast enough for team selection ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1901 on: 22 July, 2017, 11:31:46 pm »
Mersey Roads update: Messrs Crossley, Bullyment and Buck have all packed.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #1902 on: 22 July, 2017, 11:52:50 pm »

:( How come? Weather?
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1903 on: 23 July, 2017, 01:02:34 am »
Rain early on, really quite heavy at times.  It was meant to stop in time for riders to dry out for the night but it's restarted as a nocturnal drizzle, my rider turned up ap Prees 20 minutes late and really quite chilled on his last stop, half an hour ago.

rob

« Reply #1904 on: 23 July, 2017, 07:53:55 am »

:( How come? Weather?

Fuckity.   There will be other times.   Form of my life and nothing to show for it.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1905 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:43:19 am »
Cold drizzle on and off throughout the night, more on than off.  It got a bit heavier in the morning but has now stopped and brightened up.  The riders will be sent to the finishing circuit within the hour though, and Rob tells me the rain is still pouring in Wrexham.

« Reply #1906 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:46:42 am »
How many still on the road? 

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1907 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:11:57 am »

« Reply #1908 on: 23 July, 2017, 11:14:40 am »

« Reply #1909 on: 23 July, 2017, 02:26:19 pm »
Any news?

rob

« Reply #1910 on: 23 July, 2017, 04:12:52 pm »
Mike first with 530.   Victor second with 482, then Jasmijn third with 450 ish.

Lot of people well down on last year, but the finishing circuit was warm and sunny. 

« Reply #1911 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:10:22 pm »
Utterly broken at the finish having been fine & on schedule in the torrential rain for the first 12hrs, then dawdled and wasted time sitting at Prees in the wee hours cause I couldn't stay awake. When dawn came and I  went back on the Quina Brook circuit I got the bit between my teeth and hammered a couple of laps...which broke me. Another shower and I was a shivering wreck. Helpers to the rescue, they brought sarcasm, dry clothes and an absolute refusal to let me in the car, so off I went just wanting to make it to the finish circuit and get a distance.  Felt human on the transition so upped target to 600k / 373 miles but bloody hell did I have to dig deep to get up the climbs on the finishing circuit. Got given 374 which should go up to 376 or maybe 377 but hugely short of the 400 mile target or the 414 club record. Maybe next year... :hand:

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1912 on: 24 July, 2017, 10:05:47 am »
Helpers to the rescue, they brought sarcasm, dry clothes and an absolute refusal to let me in the car

;D I hear T0by can be a big bully when he wants to be?  ;D

rob

« Reply #1913 on: 24 July, 2017, 08:39:04 pm »
Utterly broken at the finish having been fine & on schedule in the torrential rain for the first 12hrs, then dawdled and wasted time sitting at Prees in the wee hours cause I couldn't stay awake. When dawn came and I  went back on the Quina Brook circuit I got the bit between my teeth and hammered a couple of laps...which broke me. Another shower and I was a shivering wreck. Helpers to the rescue, they brought sarcasm, dry clothes and an absolute refusal to let me in the car, so off I went just wanting to make it to the finish circuit and get a distance.  Felt human on the transition so upped target to 600k / 373 miles but bloody hell did I have to dig deep to get up the climbs on the finishing circuit. Got given 374 which should go up to 376 or maybe 377 but hugely short of the 400 mile target or the 414 club record. Maybe next year... :hand:

Well done, Paul.  Great debut in awful conditions.   Anyone that finished that is a hero.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1914 on: 30 July, 2017, 11:11:02 pm »
It seems the Breckland 12 has passed with both men's and women's comp records intact - the women's by about 5 miles, the men's by less than a mile.  I must admit, that wasn't the result I was expecting.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1915 on: 13 August, 2017, 05:06:25 pm »
Fifty years since it was set, the women's 12 hour record is within an hour of being beaten!

rob

« Reply #1916 on: 13 August, 2017, 05:43:59 pm »
Stood in a couple of lay-bys for 2hrs watching the riders fly past.   Alice looked pretty together ?

Where were you ?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1917 on: 13 August, 2017, 05:49:48 pm »
Where were you ?

In the office, doing work that's come up that I'm currently trying to ignore while checking WoF's twitter feed for the closing scores!

[EDIT: Aaaaaaand it's done.  She's done 278.53 miles and has 20 minutes remaining.  Congratulations Alice!]

« Reply #1918 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:26:15 pm »
Awesomeness abounds. :thumbsup:

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #1919 on: 13 August, 2017, 08:45:22 pm »
Was that the National 12? Just heard that one of our local riders was hit by a car during the event and has several broken bones.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rob

« Reply #1920 on: 13 August, 2017, 09:10:35 pm »
Was that the National 12? Just heard that one of our local riders was hit by a car during the event and has several broken bones.

Yes. On the E2. I watched for a while and chatted to a couple of the timekeepers.   Didn't hear of any incidents but I did leave a couple of hours before the finish.

As an aside I'm already p'd off with some of the technology nay-sayers on social media, upset that Beryl's record has been taken.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #1921 on: 14 August, 2017, 11:18:22 am »
Without knowing what the race was, the ride I was on yesterday crossed its path.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rob

« Reply #1922 on: 14 August, 2017, 11:27:29 am »
Without knowing what the race was, the ride I was on yesterday crossed its path.

Having never met you before I thought it was you.   Were you on a folder/airnimal type bike ?   

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #1923 on: 14 August, 2017, 12:02:09 pm »
As an aside I'm already p'd off with some of the technology nay-sayers on social media, upset that Beryl's record has been taken.

People can be so mean-spirited. Congrats to Alice, that's a great achievement.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #1924 on: 14 August, 2017, 02:45:39 pm »

People can be so mean-spirited. Congrats to Alice, that's a great achievement.

My comment elsewhere was that it was sad & wonderful at the same time.