Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 419683 times)

rob

Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1775 on: 06 September, 2016, 11:13:48 am »
Harder to ride upwind and downwind legs with big speed difference on fixed?

I think so.   I can spin that gear at 30+ mph, but I was losing so much time into the wind that I couldn't pick it back up on the returns.   There were a few things not working on the day TBH.   Not a disastrous ride and I'm glad I finished, but I had set my expectations higher.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #1776 on: 06 September, 2016, 12:48:01 pm »
Bad luck Cygnet.  Try again next year? 

Yep. I want that certificate. Also now I have a skinsuit and TT bike to take on the sub 12hr distances.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1777 on: 11 September, 2016, 08:08:04 am »
Marcin Biablocki of One Pro Cycling has just done a 16:34 on the V718.

No, I didn't type that wrong.  Sixteen minutes and thirty four seconds.  Forty six seconds faster than the previous Dowsett/Gullen record.  James Gullen also broke his own record with a 17:09.

That is massive.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1778 on: 11 September, 2016, 07:17:07 pm »
I bet he's kicking himself for missing that 43 though  :demon:

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1779 on: 18 September, 2016, 03:42:09 pm »
Last event of the season today: a fast day on the T502 which massaged my ennui-filled legs that haven't done any training for a good while, into a new PB of 1:55:14.  I didn't have my gimp socks and didn't tape the valve hole in my disc either, so just think what I could have done had I paid attention to those marginal gains!  There were lots of 1:4x:xx times today; it seems that the organiser Doug had booked the good weather for his final event before he retires.

After first trying in 2012, I've now finally qualified for the BBAR - so long as no events get retroactively annulled this time.  Today's result puts me on a speed of 23.652, which is a good chunk of a mile slower than last year, but at least today's ride allowed me to leapfrog Rob  :demon:

rob

« Reply #1780 on: 18 September, 2016, 07:26:09 pm »
Last event of the season today: a fast day on the T502 which massaged my ennui-filled legs that haven't done any training for a good while, into a new PB of 1:55:14.  I didn't have my gimp socks and didn't tape the valve hole in my disc either, so just think what I could have done had I paid attention to those marginal gains!  There were lots of 1:4x:xx times today; it seems that the organiser Doug had booked the good weather for his final event before he retires.

After first trying in 2012, I've now finally qualified for the BBAR - so long as no events get retroactively annulled this time.  Today's result puts me on a speed of 23.652, which is a good chunk of a mile slower than last year, but at least today's ride allowed me to leapfrog Rob  :demon:

Good ride to finish your year.   Part of me wishes I had held on to do another 50, but then I look at the pile of delicacies that I brought back from France yesterday and decide that I'm happy where I am.

Remind me how much younger you are than me ?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1781 on: 18 September, 2016, 07:30:20 pm »
/stupidquestion

Do you mean last year's speed if you hadnt lost one of the rides ?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1782 on: 18 September, 2016, 08:10:58 pm »
Err, twelve years I think Rob? 

And yes Matt, I do mean that.  So's yer face  :P

rob

« Reply #1783 on: 18 September, 2016, 08:15:10 pm »
Err, twelve years I think Rob? 

And you only put half a mph into me ?   I expect better.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1784 on: 19 September, 2016, 12:03:34 am »
I promise to do so at some point in the next twelve years.  If I don't, you can claim a beer off me at the end of the 2028 season.

rob

« Reply #1785 on: 25 October, 2016, 07:53:11 pm »
Can't dig back to where we last discussed Rob Townsend, but it transpires he was on EPO in 2015.

I mean FFS this in domestic time trialling ?

« Reply #1786 on: 26 October, 2016, 10:55:28 am »
That was a highly unedifying affair.  What with the acrimony over the 3cm rule, the debacle over the organisation and timing at the recent Circuit Championship, and the histrionics over the field placement for this weekend's National Hillclimb Champs, and now this, it really does seem like all the fun has been sucked out of testing.  ::-)

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1787 on: 26 October, 2016, 11:46:19 am »
Both with the original modafinil offence and then with this too, he managed to piss off everyone else involved in the tribunals by taking them for stupid with his ridiculous "the dog ate it" excuses, which often implicated a lot of other people in wrongdoing too.  Any mildly intelligent person should have realised that nobody was going to fall for that sort of rubbish.  Not Robin Townsend, it seems.

Anyway, here's the comment from my supporter at the 2015 12 hour, when I mentioned it to her: "Oh, the one who looked really spaced?  Figures."

Oranj

• Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it?
« Reply #1788 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:11:23 pm »
Legs, you made me log into the TT Forum to see what all the fuss was about; I know the 3cm rule has been grumbling along for years and I doubt it'll be settled any time soon but I didn't know about the circuit champs muck up. That national HC startsheet is quite weird too, laid out like a road TT, but at least all the women get to race each other! Someone should've provided the organiser with some assistance.

I've quite enjoyed trundling out to midweek club TTs this year for a spot of timekeeping. Quite hard work concentrating when the event's on, but you get to have a nice chat without all that unnecessary effort riding up and down a local B road :) Might do a bit more next year.

rob

« Reply #1789 on: 26 October, 2016, 12:32:22 pm »
Legs, you made me log into the TT Forum to see what all the fuss was about;

I saw the news on Twitter, but also went to the TT forum.   Need to stop hanging out there as it's not massively friendly.

« Reply #1790 on: 27 October, 2016, 12:42:07 pm »
I've found that not going to the TT forum has been a significant compensation for not being able to do (hardly) any TTs this year!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1791 on: 29 October, 2016, 08:00:06 pm »
Can't dig back to where we last discussed Rob Townsend, but it transpires he was on EPO in 2015.

This is quite old news, but also from a race in 2015:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/19-year-old-british-cyclist-handed-ban-taking-epo-255882

The junior 10-mile champion  :facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

rob

« Reply #1792 on: 29 October, 2016, 10:36:18 pm »

This is quite old news, but also from a race in 2015:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest-news/19-year-old-british-cyclist-handed-ban-taking-epo-255882

The junior 10-mile champion  :facepalm:

He was in the elite/junior section of my club.  I knew he left under a cloud mid last Summer, but read the full details in the press.

rob

« Reply #1793 on: 05 January, 2017, 07:40:41 pm »
2017 dates are on the CTT website.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1794 on: 02 February, 2017, 10:47:18 am »
First event of 2017 entered.  I suppose I'd better do some intervals  :sick:

Oh, and it's a BC event  :o

« Reply #1795 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:11:44 pm »
Decided at the back end of last year I fancied doing a bit of TTing in 2017.

Yesterday I put my money where my mouth is and entered the Newbury 12hr and Mersey 24hr, ya know, just to keep a little bit of focus and motivation going. :thumbsup:

Also half a mind to do the Etwall 100 mile (and will do my clubs open 50 mile) so I have a BAR and long-distance BAR.

Do these long distance TTs fill up? Worth ticking the 'reserve' box on the CTT entry (online entry, yay! Bit different to my first few years of TTing)?

rob

« Reply #1796 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:24:25 pm »
Decided at the back end of last year I fancied doing a bit of TTing in 2017.

Yesterday I put my money where my mouth is and entered the Newbury 12hr and Mersey 24hr, ya know, just to keep a little bit of focus and motivation going. :thumbsup:

Also half a mind to do the Etwall 100 mile (and will do my clubs open 50 mile) so I have a BAR and long-distance BAR.

Do these long distance TTs fill up? Worth ticking the 'reserve' box on the CTT entry (online entry, yay! Bit different to my first few years of TTing)?

See you at the 12hr and 24hr.    It's highly unlikely they'll fill, but the Etwall 100 might as it has the reputation to be a bit quick.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1797 on: 02 February, 2017, 02:39:41 pm »
The Etwall (BDCA) 100 miler is the reliably fastest 100 event in the country, and as such it always fills.  The other two reputed fast courses were the Cambridge and Teesside courses, but the Teesside isn't running this year so all the northerners will be trekking south to get their rides in - which means the BDCA is even more likely to fill.  I think it usually closes on about four and a half hours.

« Reply #1798 on: 02 February, 2017, 03:15:44 pm »
The Etwall (BDCA) 100 miler is the reliably fastest 100 event in the country, and as such it always fills.  The other two reputed fast courses were the Cambridge and Teesside courses, but the Teesside isn't running this year so all the northerners will be trekking south to get their rides in - which means the BDCA is even more likely to fill.  I think it usually closes on about four and a half hours.

Closing time is irrelevant to me ATM as I have no previous times for longer than 25, and nothing at all in the last three years (2009 was my last TT). So, not worth going on the Etwall reserve list then? Welsh 100miler is on the same weekend, but much more of a pain logistically (Etwall is five miles from the folks and inlaws so easy to wrap up with a long weekend family visit).

rob

« Reply #1799 on: 02 February, 2017, 03:17:37 pm »

Closing time is irrelevant to me ATM as I have no previous times for longer than 25, and nothing at all in the last three years (2009 was my last TT). So, not worth going on the Etwall reserve list then? Welsh 100miler is on the same weekend, but much more of a pain logistically (Etwall is five miles from the folks and inlaws so easy to wrap up with a long weekend family visit).

Hounslow in July ?   2 weeks before the 24hr and can't be that far for you (course runs between Alton and Farnham - same roads as the Newbury 12hr).