Author Topic: On the commute today  (Read 2462865 times)

Re: On the commute today
« Reply #19600 on: 21 April, 2017, 09:17:44 am »
Different bike, different route.  Its as good as a rest  :thumbsup:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19601 on: 21 April, 2017, 09:39:40 am »
Sometimes it feels like the bike is doing most of the work :)

Set PB for inward commute.

Maaaaaay be slower homeward ;D
Getting there...

fuzzy

« Reply #19602 on: 21 April, 2017, 10:50:10 am »
This mornings ride in was the first off road excursion on the ascent of Quarry Wood Road. Nearly made it to the top of the track. It was just the turn left at the end which is directly after the steepest section that had me dabbing and dismounting. Another 18" worth of forward momentum would have seen me staying in the saddle.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #19603 on: 21 April, 2017, 10:39:26 pm »
This evening cycled from Westminster to Upton Park in the company of Titanium Dave, not OTP but known to a good number of forumites.  It was nice having company for a change, though keeping up with him and carrying on a conversation left me knackered!
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #19604 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:57:24 pm »
I think it hasn't rained here (London) for about 2 weeks or more! I think currently it the best weather for commuting; not hot and not cold!

fuzzy

« Reply #19605 on: 24 April, 2017, 02:20:39 pm »
Made it to the top of the off road track AND executed the turn without dabbing or dismounting. It was a ver ver close thing however with the front wheel bobbing up with each pedal stroke and breakfast reminding me it was there......

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #19606 on: 24 April, 2017, 04:55:15 pm »
Snow this afternoon  :hand:

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19607 on: 24 April, 2017, 06:04:23 pm »
Really wishing I took some gears today. My ears are still ringing from the ride crawl home.

This is more like February weather than late April
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #19608 on: 25 April, 2017, 08:17:12 am »
They seem to have started the work on the Stretford Regeneration thing, as a result they've switched the lights off here...freakin terrifying

« Reply #19609 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:19:15 am »
What happened to the nice warm weather? :o

Yesterday I was in 3/4 tights and a YACF jersey, this morning I needed full length tights again, a fleece over the jersey and gloves with my mitts.  It was over 10°C cooler ... 13-14°C yesterday, and 3°C today ! (and last week, it was even warmer).

Having said that, it was dry, and sunny for the second half of my ride.  Cooler weather is easier to deal with than wet weather.  This time of year is always a bit more unpredictable than the rest of the year.  ???
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #19610 on: 25 April, 2017, 12:37:51 pm »
Farkin' cold in the city of London. Jesus..... It was ok yesterday!!

« Reply #19611 on: 26 April, 2017, 11:42:41 am »
Back to the full kit and kaboodle today after being hammered by hail last night

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #19612 on: 26 April, 2017, 07:42:56 pm »
Odd one today. Cold and a nagging north wind which has a slight head wind effect and all the way to work my head was saying "Go faster!" and the legs were saying "Get knotted, we want to be back in that nice warm bed." so I was expecting a 1h 5m trip but it turned into a (just) sub 1 hour ride.  Baffled by that.  Where (and how) the blazes did I make up 5 to 6 minutes?
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19613 on: 27 April, 2017, 02:24:04 pm »
Got told to "Get on the fucking pavement!" by a scratter in a Clio.  I regret that my response was equally coarse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #19614 on: 27 April, 2017, 04:04:39 pm »
Windy and near-freezing rain, boo.

« Reply #19615 on: 28 April, 2017, 08:10:46 am »
Taking it easy today, I've been struggling in those cold north winds since being totally undressed in the hail the other night

« Reply #19616 on: 02 May, 2017, 02:42:21 pm »
It was pleasantly sunny on the way in, but unfortunately one of those tiny little street cleaners, was polishing the mud and dirt to a fine consistency under the bridges on Tooting Bec Common.  Those paviors can be slippery when wet, at the best of times.  I was further to the left than normal, because the cleaner driver was a bit erratic, and I didn't entirely trust him.  I'm not sure what exactly happened, but I suspect my wheel caught on the edge of a slightly raised slab ... <bang>

YouTube

That coated my entire left side with dirt, and a couple of small grazes and bruises.  Somehow, and I still haven't worked out how, the left hand side of my handle bar has been slightly bent inwards.  It's not a terribly big issue, and I'll risk continuing to use it, until I get a replacement, and redo the handlebar tape, which needs replacing anyway.

« Reply #19617 on: 02 May, 2017, 02:46:49 pm »
Oh dear Tim, bouncing down the road is never fun.

I found a council grasscutter to draft this morning, big sharp pointy things directly ahead do make you pay attention.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19618 on: 02 May, 2017, 02:49:15 pm »
TimO: But is the bike ok?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #19619 on: 02 May, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »
Ouch Tim.
Is the KOTM jersey ok?  ;)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #19620 on: 02 May, 2017, 02:53:40 pm »
Bah!
Getting there...

« Reply #19621 on: 02 May, 2017, 04:25:41 pm »
Aside from the slightly bent handlebar, which I really can't work out, the bike appears to be fine.  I'm paranoid enough to check the bike over fairly thoroughly, after any significant thump.  The KOTM jersey doesn't appear to have any new holes in it, although it's going to need a wash this evening.  There's a hole in the left hand elbow, from last November, but I don't appear to have added in a matching one on the right side.  It seems, that it was time for my 6-monthly "throw myself at the ground".  ;D

« Reply #19622 on: 02 May, 2017, 05:14:56 pm »
Ref the LH end of the handlebar, perhaps you were holding it as you hit the deck and your brute strength bent it ?

And ouch !
Rust never sleeps

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #19623 on: 02 May, 2017, 06:06:38 pm »
Ouch. I hope you don't feel too stiff in the morning TimO

My commute was in lovely weather and completely uneventful. I had to cut off the extra I was doing as I think I left my legs somewhere near the summit of Honister Pass yesterday.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #19624 on: 02 May, 2017, 06:24:22 pm »
Reliably making it in under 1hr 20mins and home under 1hr 10mins so quite pleased given I couldn't do either under an hour and half when I started here 18 months ago.

Was trying not to laugh at someone telling me their commute of two trains and a 20 minute walk is exhausting as a comparison to cycling over the Cotswolds.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.