Author Topic: It's snowing!  (Read 636553 times)

Chris S

Re: It's snowing!
« Reply #4525 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:33:18 am »
Getting some flurries this morning - probably a couple of cm so far.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4526 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:51:00 am »
A few flakes here. Some snow, too.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #4527 on: 30 November, 2017, 11:53:58 am »
Rode into town in first a knife-like wind then a knife-like blizzard.  My sealkinz hat did a great job altho I guess it looked a bit odd in Waitrose.  People tended to keep out of my way more than usual.
Move Faster and Bake Things

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4528 on: 30 November, 2017, 02:39:44 pm »
a very small flurry when I parked outside the tool suppliers, now looking out of my window, large fluffy flakes. the wind has been bitter all day long.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #4529 on: 30 November, 2017, 03:37:39 pm »
Proper blizzards on and off since lunchtime up here in the North Pennines. Hope nobody is doing the C2C, though they would have the bitter NW wind behind them!

« Reply #4530 on: 30 November, 2017, 03:51:56 pm »
I'd really, really like to see some proper snow. Tempted to put cyclocross tyres on the bike and try to get out this weekend somewhere. What are the north york moors like?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #4531 on: 30 November, 2017, 04:27:20 pm »
NY Moors are covered in snow (I can see them from my front door). Rains predicted tonight though so all the snow might be washed away by then.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #4532 on: 30 November, 2017, 07:45:39 pm »
View from the Igloo this morning:

IMG_0118_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #4533 on: 30 November, 2017, 08:17:12 pm »
I recognise that (generic) view.  Been coming down here for an hour or so now, but I think a bot too warm and wet to amount to much
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #4534 on: 30 November, 2017, 08:31:29 pm »
reminds me of a line from 'Chubby Brown'...............................................''I like  the snow,.....it make my f*^"king garden look like everybody else's''

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4535 on: 30 November, 2017, 08:44:43 pm »
The view from Feanor Towers this morning, as posted on the commuting thread...

Morning commute by Ron Lowe, on Flickr

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #4536 on: 30 November, 2017, 10:06:47 pm »
NY Moors are covered in snow (I can see them from my front door). Rains predicted tonight though so all the snow might be washed away by then.

Very slushy still in the Howardian Hills with what feels like ice underneath - extremely slippy on tarmac :(
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #4537 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:42:37 am »
ditto in York.  Our road isn't gritted now because we are being austere.   Going to be a few cyclists and pedestrians hitting the deck I am afraid.

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/15693318.PICTURE_GALLERY__Snow_causes_treacherous_driving_conditions/#gallery4

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4538 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:43:41 am »
Decent snowfall here last evening: dogs love it, went bonkers chasing each other round the garden.  Watching snowfall in the dark with the Cree headlight set to flash is quite amusing.

Don't have to go anywhere - think I'll have another cuppa.

« Reply #4539 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:48:27 am »
Decent snowfall here last evening: dogs love it, went bonkers chasing each other round the garden.  Watching snowfall in the dark with the Cree headlight set to flash is quite amusing.

Don't have to go anywhere - think I'll have another cuppa.

We are the lucky ones!  I'll be building shelves in my newly insulated loft-room.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #4540 on: 01 December, 2017, 08:51:23 am »
Me too. I'm inside with the wood burner going, building stud walls and plastering.

No snow, just loads of mud, ugh!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4541 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:08:24 am »
Building, yeah. Walls, yeah. I'm supposed to be turning out wall-panelling for the hall because the dogs have turned the wallpaper black with rubbing against it, but it's 5°C in the workshop and the heating isn't worth tuppence.  "The glue's got a minimum setting temperature of 10°, darling".

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4542 on: 01 December, 2017, 10:18:40 am »
Light dusting over night that melted and froze into a skating rink. Made it fun on walkies on cobblestone with a pulling dog :)
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #4543 on: 01 December, 2017, 06:00:07 pm »
Trying to walk to the main road to get a lift from my colleague was type II fun this morning, especially the humpty bridge over the railway. I basically draped one arm over the brick wall and hoped for the best.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #4544 on: 08 December, 2017, 06:38:20 pm »
7" in Shropshire and although it's eased off a lot now it's still falling slowly. And it's due to freeze overnight.

ian

« Reply #4545 on: 08 December, 2017, 06:55:01 pm »
A couple of centimetres in San Antonio. Then it rained it all away today. Proper Texans would have shot the sky, goddamn liberal snowflakes.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4546 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:06:48 pm »
My chum Professor Guthrie has just posted a pic of a shivering shorts-wearing Texan filling his Jeep with "gas" in the middle of a SNOstorm in Houston.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #4547 on: 08 December, 2017, 08:22:29 pm »
My chum Professor Guthrie has just posted a pic of a shivering shorts-wearing Texan filling his Jeep with "gas" in the middle of a SNOstorm in Houston.

I've had similar reports from Houston.
Last time I was in Houston and it snowed, it was only the slightest dusting, but the motorised carnage brought the place to a standstill.

They don't adjust their driving style in the slightest.
They still tailgate each other at 70mph around the 610 loop, which is on raised flyovers in many places.
These don't have the benefit of the heat capacity of the ground, and so freeze over quickly.

A happy hunting ground for the news channel helichoppers looking for some mayhem to report.

« Reply #4548 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:13:55 pm »
I love it when it snows down south ie anything below BirminghM. It's suddenly newsworthy and the whole country grinds to a halt.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #4549 on: 08 December, 2017, 11:23:01 pm »
that's because the sun always shines on the righteous   ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.