Author Topic: Map Lights  (Read 13796 times)

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
Re: Map Lights
« Reply #50 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:31:13 pm »
I find that laminating my routesheets works well, and I don't get much glare at night. It helps having a wife who is a teacher, so I have an endless supply of laminating pouches and access to an industrial strength laminator.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #51 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:41:51 pm »
I find that laminating my routesheets works well, and I don't get much glare at night. It helps having a wife who is a teacher, so I have an endless supply of laminating pouches and access to an industrial strength laminator.
Does she know that's how you refer to her??
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #52 on: 13 April, 2018, 12:47:30 pm »
Does she know that's how you refer to her??
She takes it as a compliment  ;D

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #53 on: 13 April, 2018, 06:52:39 pm »
I find that laminating my routesheets works well, ...

From watching others and the problems they have with laminated routesheets in tricky conditions, I'll be sticking with waterproof paper. 

Overall I think waterproof paper is a much better solution, resulting in a more useable routesheet than laminated sheets, for a lot less work.  The downsides are the paper isn't exactly cheap (~18p a sheet, so a box is £40 or so) and you do need access to a laser printer.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #54 on: 13 April, 2018, 07:00:06 pm »
I have found the old e+lite to be okay on white for setting up camp, but the red lamp is too dim to be useful — red's good for preserving night vision; it's also less-visible if you happen to be hunkered down in the corner of a farmer's field for the night in a bivvy (ssshh).  I've just ordered the updated version to see whether they've improved the red-light source and brightness (product photos indicate they may well have done).

My initial impression is that, with new batteries in both, the new e+lite's red light is MUCH brighter than the old one's.  Still not bright, but looks to be a significant improvement. 

However, I much prefer the miniscule size of the old one with the retractable string strap compared to the plastic holster that comes with the new one, which is about twice the size.  Unfortunately, it's not possible to swap the new light-head onto the old retractable back-plate.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 13 April, 2018, 07:07:52 pm »

From watching others and the problems they have with laminated routesheets in tricky conditions, I'll be sticking with waterproof paper.

What's the failure mode?  Water getting into the laminate and turning the instructions to "R SP [chromatography blob]"?  That sounds more like a problem with inkjet printing, which is a work of Stan.  Laser printing tends to stay readable until the paper disintegrates, which laminate (or a map holder) should put off for long enough for audax purposes.

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #56 on: 13 April, 2018, 07:12:14 pm »

What's the failure mode?  Water getting into the laminate and turning the instructions to "R SP [chromatography blob]"?  That sounds more like a problem with inkjet printing, which is a work of Stan.  Laser printing tends to stay readable until the paper disintegrates, which laminate (or a map holder) should put off for long enough for audax purposes.
Agreed Kim - printing on a laser printer is a must, just in case the laminate splits... which sods law says it will do on a wet ride. I like laminated sheets as they are stiffer, so I can attach to my bars and they remain straight (this is more an issue for me as I don't have a map holder / bar bag to attach them to).

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #57 on: 13 April, 2018, 07:18:53 pm »
I've ordered an E+Lite. Will report back!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #58 on: 13 April, 2018, 08:49:39 pm »
I find that it works best if I keep my laminated sheets in the saddle bag until I actually need them - then put them inside my Decathlon map holder when needed - it is water resistant rather than waterproof, mainly due to the zipper I think.  If wet weather is forecast I tape up the edges of the laminated sheets.  I also keep a spare, folded inside a polypocket if it is a very long ride.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #59 on: 13 April, 2018, 08:56:41 pm »

Three things strike me as disadvantageous with laminating route sheets:

• To maintain the laminate to the edges, the routesheet has to be cut down to A6 pieces before lamination (if you use at A6-size, which I do)
  • The stack of laminated postcards is bulky, especially for the longer riders
  • Laminate sheet against laminate sheet is quite slippery
  • The laminate is reflective when using a headtorch
  • The laminate's reflectivity gets worse in the wet

Five things.

What I've seen is that laminated sheets take a long time to prepare, they are bulky, and I've seen riders fumbling a stack of them, sending them spilling over the road.

I've settled on artists' waterproof paper, which feels like a heavy normal paper, but doesn't disintegrate when wet.  The laser-toner binds really well into the fibres, and there's almost no reflection at all, as it's a rough, matt surface.  My first box of waterproof paper was the polyester-sheet type and that DID suffer from mild reflection at night, but horrific reflections when wet!

FWIW, at night I often unclip the A4-folded-to-A6 route sheet and hold it up, so I can read looking forwards and keep an eye on the road, too.  I can also control the amount of light falling on it — enough light without blinding myself.

Just my experience and observations of others.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #60 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:01:40 pm »
Agreed Kim - printing on a laser printer is a must, just in case the laminate splits... which sods law says it will do on a wet ride. I like laminated sheets as they are stiffer, so I can attach to my bars and they remain straight (this is more an issue for me as I don't have a map holder / bar bag to attach them to).

The heavier weight of the artists' waterproof paper is stiff enough to stay where put, in anything up to a force-9 gale.  Just a bulldog clip to hold it in place.  When the wind is properly up — as in much stronger than we experienced on LEL — I just turn the sheets through 90° and they are even more solid!  A bit hard to read, but very solid and reliable.

If you're out tomorrow on Woodman, have a look, I'll be sporting my usual paper.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #61 on: 13 April, 2018, 09:06:46 pm »
I find that it works best if I keep my laminated sheets in the saddle bag until I actually need them - then put them inside my Decathlon map holder when needed - it is water resistant rather than waterproof, mainly due to the zipper I think.  If wet weather is forecast I tape up the edges of the laminated sheets.  I also keep a spare, folded inside a polypocket if it is a very long ride.

That sounds like a lot of preparation, and a faff on the road!

I usually keep two, three or even four A4-folder-to-A6 sheets clipped up front, unless the wind's properly up — the good friction between the sheets means they reliably stay put. 

That comprises a high-level map, one or two routesheets, maybe an overview sheet (for something like LEL or PBP) — it means I can swap them around without stopping, although refolding a routesheet from one side to the reverse in a high-breeze while riding can be a bit tricky ;)

« Reply #62 on: 13 April, 2018, 10:28:09 pm »
I print my routesheets out onto A6 photographic paper using an inkjet printer.
They are waterproof and a perfect size for my holder.

Brakeless

• Brakeless
« Reply #63 on: 14 April, 2018, 11:56:55 am »
I've found the old style e lite at a decent price. I like the idea of attaching it to your wrist and flipping it up when needed. I supppose it could go round the sheet holder and be flipped up to direct light across the route sheet when needed.

https://www.urbanrock.com/petzl-e-plus-lite/

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #64 on: 23 April, 2018, 10:12:18 am »
Used the E+Lite in anger at the weekend - very impressive. It worked fine for reading the routesheet in complete darkness and also for lighting the way ahead as my headlight was (literally) on the blink. Also very comfortable to wear, I barely noticed it was there until I took my helmet off.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #65 on: 23 April, 2018, 12:19:05 pm »
Instead of laminating use Book covering roll.

Cheaper, can be done on any size paper, no chance of water ingress, not as glossy, not as slippery, no laminating machine required.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #66 on: 23 April, 2018, 12:40:53 pm »
Am I allowed to mention those natty little plastic bags that are handed out with your brevet cards at the start of every ride.  I find they work a treat keeping out the wet so long as you don't reuse them too many times.  ;D
I aim to 'manage' the routesheet so I only need to refold at controls, it usually works.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #67 on: 23 April, 2018, 12:47:55 pm »
Yes they work a treat - with the routesheet printed on A4 in two columns.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #68 on: 23 April, 2018, 04:23:10 pm »
I have some of these and have wondered what to do with them - seem like a step in the right direction for DIYers looking for map lights. Small LED units that are USB powered and weigh nothing - I suspect they are the inside of many other solutions....

The full product title is a read in itself: DROK® 5PCS Micro USB Power Touch Dimmer Switch Pocket Card Nightlight 3 LEDs 5V Home Decoration Night Light with USB Interface for Keychain Accessories Camping Gift Birthday Present

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B017QQ3BSI/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #69 on: 23 April, 2018, 07:34:45 pm »
Laminating very green, if you are inclined to reduce plastic use.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #70 on: 24 April, 2018, 09:42:00 am »
Laminating very green, if you are inclined to reduce plastic use.

Is there a "not" missing from your post?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #71 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:33:58 am »
Yes  :-[

I think it washed off in the rain...

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #72 on: 24 April, 2018, 07:20:39 pm »
Speaking as a Pragmatic (Lazy?) Treehugger, I'm happy to offset a bit if plastic against not driving 150-ish miles.

(But give me a proven greener variation and I'm in  :thumbsup: )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #73 on: 24 April, 2018, 11:10:34 pm »
Speaking as a Pragmatic (Lazy?) Treehugger, I'm happy to offset a bit if plastic against not driving 150-ish miles.

Ah, so for you it is a binary choice. Laminate or drive. Thanks.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 25 April, 2018, 10:26:51 am »
Speaking as a Pragmatic (Lazy?) Treehugger, I'm happy to offset a bit of plastic against not driving 150-ish miles.

Ah, so for you it is a binary choice. Laminate or drive. Thanks.
Nope, it's not binary.  and Thank YOU!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------