Linked Events

• Tyne Tunnel: 15 October, 2011

Author Topic: Tyne Tunnel  (Read 27524 times)

Re: Tyne Tunnel
« Reply #25 on: 22 October, 2010, 02:39:43 pm »
I'm up for this one, subject to date and  work/ home / weather constraints.

Any idea of a date?  that would cross one off the list

LindaG

« Reply #26 on: 22 October, 2010, 02:41:13 pm »
& mrs. jogler has never limited my biking/playing time 'cause she is  8) 

I've got one like that.  It's good, isn't it.   :)

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #27 on: 22 October, 2010, 03:00:26 pm »

it's magic :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 22 October, 2010, 03:45:10 pm »

I'm thinking Monday 27th. How does that grab your fancy? Disclaimer: after my Jan adventures I will not ride if snow risk is greater than 10%.

I may have various members of the boab family depending which bikes we take oop north, or if parents fancy coming out to play too. Potentially there could be 7 of us but likely 3.

Could someone move this over to rides and touring, as I'm not envisioning either 200k DIY or energy gel and marshalls.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #29 on: 22 October, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »

I'm thinking Monday 27th. How does that grab your fancy?

Not possible for me

« Reply #30 on: 22 October, 2010, 07:12:59 pm »

it's magic :thumbsup:

Yeah.  I've got one like that, too.

Been watching this thread with nostalgic interest, as I was  temporary Geordie in the early70's (indeed, it's where Mrs D and I met).  But alas I won't be able to be there. 

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #31 on: 22 October, 2010, 07:35:03 pm »
Temporary Geordie.
Terrific expression :thumbsup:

I love the place & the people.I worked up there 3 days a week from '74 to 79 & loved every minute of it.The very best time of my working life.
I tried on several occassions to get my then boss to open an office up there but without success.I was fully prepared to sell up & move the family up there & run the show.
My affection persists in the form of being a Newcatle United FC fan despite my decreasing interest & increasing dis-illusion with football.

« Reply #32 on: 22 October, 2010, 10:14:00 pm »
Just seen this thread (I don't normally venture in to this part of the forum - Audax sounds too much like hard work and I don't look at anything with Sportive in the title). I could well be up for this - depending on the date.

I have a circular route I do occasionally which, although I normally use the Shields Ferry could be massaged to use the cycle tunnel instead. It runs Durham > Lanchester > Consett (C2C) > Derwent Valley Walk > Blaydon > Newcastle Quayside > Tynemouth Priory > back to the tunnel > South Shields > Sunderland > Durham. A lot of it is sustrans / railway lines so is probably better on a slightly wider tyre (particularly if there's snow). You could start at any point on the route. It usually runs at between 60 and 70 mile depending on how often I get lost.

LindaG

« Reply #33 on: 22 October, 2010, 11:46:34 pm »
Could someone move this over to rides and touring, as I'm not envisioning either 200k DIY or energy gel and marshalls.

Yep, mods, can you move the thread please?

« Reply #34 on: 22 October, 2010, 11:54:32 pm »

Yep, mods, can you move the thread please?
You can move the threads that you started yourself. Bottom left, move thread link <- click it.

LindaG

« Reply #35 on: 22 October, 2010, 11:56:18 pm »
Done.  Thanks.

LindaG

« Reply #36 on: 27 October, 2010, 01:28:36 pm »
Bump.

Slow coach's route sounds brilliant.  Might it be a big long if the weather's really bad/cold?  Is it easily bailable at any point?

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #37 on: 27 October, 2010, 01:35:07 pm »
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe shorten it to about 40 or 50 miles?

LindaG

« Reply #38 on: 27 October, 2010, 01:37:23 pm »
That'd be better.  I'm hoping I'll have December's rota by tomorrow so more of an idea whether I can come.

If there's been heavy snow I will have to cry off, I fear.  Unless someone persuades me.  We'll see.

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #39 on: 27 October, 2010, 01:42:03 pm »
I doubt if Mrs GT would want to venture out in the snow either.

« Reply #40 on: 27 October, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »
Let me have a think about shortening it. Unfortunately the obvious area to cut is the Tyne Tunnel bit as that's got the grottiest riding either side.

Alternatively - cut out Durham. Start at Newcastle - ride out to Consett via the Derwent walk - C2C to Sunderland - coast route up to the Tyne Cycle/Pedestrian Tunnel and then back to Newcastle along Hadrians Cycleway. That's just off the top of my head so there may be better options. Unfortunately the cafe at Souter Lighthouse will probably be closed at that time of year, but I dare say we would find some thing at some of the dives along the North Shields  quayside.

LindaG

« Reply #41 on: 27 October, 2010, 01:53:49 pm »
Thanks SC.  I'm sure we'll have options.

The coast at night in midsummer might be nice as well.  One at each solstice  ;D

« Reply #42 on: 27 October, 2010, 02:05:53 pm »
If there's been heavy snow I will have to cry off, I fear.  Unless someone persuades me.  We'll see.

Snow can be interesting. I walked through the tunnel in January this year during the worst of the snow. We had to kick steps to get some of the party into the tunnel from the South side...

LindaG

« Reply #43 on: 27 October, 2010, 02:08:57 pm »
Whoa.  If things had got bad outside you'd have still been in there in March!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #44 on: 27 October, 2010, 03:21:40 pm »
Watching this thread with interest. Like jogler, I don't know if I'll be able to make it. I've never ridden up there, and it's something I'd love to do.

LindaG

« Reply #45 on: 28 October, 2010, 12:36:53 am »
Oh no.  Night duties Xmas eve, Xmas day, boxing day.  Then a day shift on the 29th.  No way I can make the 27th.  Sorry.

« Reply #46 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:22:04 pm »
Oh no.  Night duties Xmas eve, Xmas day, boxing day.

So we are looking for a route on the 27th which starts at shift end from your workplace and takes us to the Tyne Tunnel...  ;)

we'd have to call it a Three Rivers Ride (Tyne, Wear and Tees - I presume you are somewhere near the Tees) but it could be tricky finding a route which comes into the 30 mile max requirement >:(

Steve GT

• Crediamo in te, bici!
« Reply #47 on: 28 October, 2010, 01:27:39 pm »
Looks like we will have to postpone the ride a couple of weeks.

LindaG

« Reply #48 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:04:21 pm »
Watching this thread with interest. Like jogler, I don't know if I'll be able to make it. I've never ridden up there, and it's something I'd love to do.

You should.  It's wonderful. 

If you peeps want to go ahead on the 27th without me, that's fine.  Trying to have a social life around my job can be a bit of a 'mare, tbh, and it's still a great idea for a forum ride.

That reminds me.  Need to check last night's lottery ticket.

« Reply #49 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:14:40 pm »
I can do any day that week- I only suggested the 27th as it's a bank holiday. It would be a shame you couldn't make it LindaG as it was your idea!