Author Topic: Swindon  (Read 32211 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Swindon
« Reply #25 on: 10 January, 2011, 07:51:07 pm »
For 'crisis' read 'when Rogerzilla discovers they've switched off all the speed cameras'. Or something like that.  ;D

So that's the railway that went from Cheltenham to Cirencester (and on to Swindon and beyond). A kind of predecessor of the A419/417.  :-\

Is Belle Vue Road where they do speedway?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2011, 08:15:27 pm »
There's a short film clip (no sound) of part of the M&SWJR in 1961 here which shows it to have been a surprisingly big line, at least south of Swindon.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2011, 09:19:27 pm »
Swindon Town FC were the first to have floodlights in the English football league.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Martin

« Reply #28 on: 10 January, 2011, 10:15:40 pm »
BR Warship class 42 were all built at Swindon works; there was a fine example preserved outside the works for many years as a fitting tribute

Thatcher personally scrapped it in 1985  :'(

D818 Glory Swindon June 6 1981 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think it's a shopping mall now... (the works not the locomotive)

« Reply #29 on: 10 January, 2011, 10:37:30 pm »
I've been wracking my brain with forming an anagram of Swindon. All I can come up with is Shithole. Perhaps somebody will have more success than me.

Swindon Wiltshire = Swinish idler town

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #30 on: 10 January, 2011, 10:38:46 pm »
I'm starting to think I should try to escape... I didn't realise it was so bad!

Nightfly

« Reply #31 on: 10 January, 2011, 11:05:29 pm »
I've never been to Swindon.

I think Ricky Gervais mentions it in The Office. Mind you that was set in Slough  :sick:.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #32 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:23:50 am »
It seems to me that what's needed is an official YACF sightseeing ride to Swindon.  Taking in such greats as the Magic Roundabout, the signalbox and rogerzilla's favourite dogging spots.  In order to make a day of it, I suggest starting at Didcot.  Who's in?

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #33 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:20:40 am »
Sorry, I'm having a rare infection of good taste that day!  :D

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #34 on: 11 January, 2011, 08:21:09 am »
It seems to me that what's needed is an official YACF sightseeing ride to Swindon.  Taking in such greats as the Magic Roundabout, the signalbox and rogerzilla's favourite dogging spots.  In order to make a day of it, I suggest starting at Didcot.  Who's in?
What!?
Is YACF turning into some sort of weirdo masochist thing?
No. Not at any price.  
At least not until _after_ the tactical nuclear strike.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #35 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:17:48 am »
;D

Last summer I did Didcot-Swindon-Bristol pre 9am. The Magic Roundabout was great fun at 0700-ish.

Not sure it would be as much fun with actual real traffic on it.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #36 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:35:12 am »
Actually, there is one attraction in Swindon I'd enjoy looking at: the railway museum.

Years ago, my favourite exhibit in the Science Museum was the Caerphilly Castle. There was a period of enforced absence when Bloody Margaret Thatcher introduced charges for me to go to my museum to see my exhibits. After the tories were booted out ant Nulabour started off doing some good things and the charges were scrapped, I went back again and the Caerphilly Castle had gone. I asked an assistant what had happened to it and she had never heard of it - probably not a surprise as I'd guess she wasn't born until the Dark Ages started.

I have since learned that it's in the Swindon Railway Museum. Since there are two other Castle Class trains in Didcot, I reckon I'd come along, Kim.  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #37 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:43:53 am »
I think the ride should actually start in Slough, pass through Didcot (I use this verb advisedly), and terminate in Swindon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 11 January, 2011, 11:55:55 am »

(Arranges prior engagement)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

fuzzy

« Reply #39 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:12:55 pm »
BR Warship class 42 were all built at Swindon works; there was a fine example preserved outside the works for many years as a fitting tribute

Aye, the rail works is now the Swindon Outlet Centre or some such tosh, where chavs can purchase their bling clothes and stuff for less wonga than real shops.

« Reply #40 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:17:49 pm »
I think the ride should actually start in Slough, pass through Didcot (I use this verb advisedly), and terminate in Swindon.
Are you proposing a bike ride or a train ride?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #41 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:21:08 pm »
I'm elaborating on Kim's proposed YACF bike ride.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #42 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:44:50 pm »

Aye, the rail works is now the Swindon Outlet Centre or some such tosh, where chavs can purchase their bling clothes and stuff for less wonga than real shops.

It does have 2 saving graces, 1 being a Whittards outlet, so nice coffee, and a Musto outlet, so nice wet weather gear....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #43 on: 11 January, 2011, 12:46:52 pm »
I'm elaborating on Kim's proposed YACF bike ride.
I was confused by you apparently proposing to use the route of the GWR.  ;D
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

fuzzy

« Reply #44 on: 11 January, 2011, 03:40:56 pm »

It does have 2 saving graces, 1 being a Whittards outlet, so nice coffee, and a Musto outlet, so nice wet weather gear....

Point taken.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #45 on: 11 January, 2011, 05:42:27 pm »
Swindon is surrounded by some of the best country for cycling.  Magestic rolling hills with White Horses,  plains of swaying wheat crossed by crystal chalk streams and scattered with quiet thatched villages where the clip clop of thoroughbred may be heard.  From Savernake forest to Silbury hill via Avebury, over the White Horse and stopping at ancient burial sites.  And a pint of Wadworths or Arkells with a pork pie to fiinish.
O joy.
Of course the town itself is a sphincterbag of shite.

Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #46 on: 11 January, 2011, 06:24:48 pm »
One of my aims is to cycle to all the signalboxes in which are installed the Electronickery/SCIENCE on which I work.

Three of these are at Slough, Didcot and Swindon.  If I actually get a round tuit, then one day of the ride will be these three in this order.  I'd better get a wiggle on, as there's a plan to "migrate" the Slough box to Didcot; I can't remember if that's planned for the Xmas shutdown 2011, or 2012.

I don't think I'd be able to arrange a visit of the entire YACF posse into the boxes. NR are now a bit funny viz-a-(hi-)viz vizitors.  But I could ask...
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #47 on: 11 January, 2011, 06:32:59 pm »
Swindon is surrounded by some of the best country for cycling.  Magestic rolling hills with White Horses,  plains of swaying wheat crossed by crystal chalk streams and scattered with quiet thatched villages where the clip clop of thoroughbred may be heard.  From Savernake forest to Silbury hill via Avebury, over the White Horse and stopping at ancient burial sites.  And a pint of Wadworths or Arkells with a pork pie to fiinish.
O joy.
Of course the town itself is a sphincterbag of shite.

Dr Tigerrr, M.D. speaks the truth.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #48 on: 11 January, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
Swindon used to be the base for one of the fastest 10-mile time trial courses in the country, the U4, Stratton by-pass (A419, Cricklade-Kingsdown-Cricklade)

5.5 miles out / 4.5 miles back, with a slight south-easterly wind on the return stretch, you'd always do a fast time ...especially as the first 3/4 mile stretch was slightly downhill. :thumbsup:
Old enough to know better!

« Reply #49 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:11:42 pm »
One of my aims is to cycle to all the signalboxes in which are installed the Electronickery/SCIENCE on which I work.

Three of these are at Slough, Didcot and Swindon.  If I actually get a round tuit, then one day of the ride will be these three in this order.  I'd better get a wiggle on, as there's a plan to "migrate" the Slough box to Didcot; I can't remember if that's planned for the Xmas shutdown 2011, or 2012.

I don't think I'd be able to arrange a visit of the entire YACF posse into the boxes. NR are now a bit funny viz-a-(hi-)viz vizitors.  But I could ask...

Sorry, wildly off-topic, but what proportion of the country's rail system is controlled by non-electric signalling systems. The box at Lostwithiel is still running rods and cables for signals and points and I imagine it's the same all the way from there to Penzance.

Where else ?
Rust never sleeps