Author Topic: El Supremo events for 2009  (Read 16538 times)

Cyklisten

• ... they came from the sea onto the land ...
    • Cyklisten Online
Re: El Supremo events for 2009
« Reply #50 on: 04 August, 2009, 04:01:52 pm »
I think the 2010 events will be BRM .... A warm up for 2011 PBP qualifiers
Ti små cyklister tog ud på cykeltur ...

SFACC Audax Champion 2010

Martin

« Reply #51 on: 04 August, 2009, 08:42:09 pm »
you still on for DDD Cyklisten? haven't heard from Chris yet he still may be in Lee Valley asleep;

I also have a Hailsham-Liss (still my only solo El S perm) card in my drawer which I ought to get out this month; Liss-Dover 400? hmmmmm.....

Rob

« Reply #52 on: 05 August, 2009, 09:23:00 am »
you still on for DDD Cyklisten? haven't heard from Chris yet he still may be in Lee Valley asleep;

I also have a Hailsham-Liss (still my only solo El S perm) card in my drawer which I ought to get out this month; Liss-Dover 400? hmmmmm.....

He was slept at my place on Thursday night and looked pretty fresh when he left on Friday.   He's controlling at High and Over on Sunday if you want a catch up.

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #53 on: 05 August, 2009, 09:52:54 am »
you still on for DDD Cyklisten?

Yes in principle. just trying to fiddle a 600 into August somewhere :D

I also have a Hailsham-Liss (still my only solo El S perm) card in my drawer which I ought to get out this month;

Liss-Dover 400? hmmmmm.....

I have a bad feeling about this......  ::-)

Martin

« Reply #54 on: 05 August, 2009, 09:12:02 pm »

He was slept at my place on Thursday night and looked pretty fresh when he left on Friday.   He's controlling at High and Over on Sunday if you want a catch up.

yes spoke to him last night fully recovered natch (what it must be to be a real Audaxer  :-[) he's still up for it

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
Re: El Supremo events for 2009 - Hailsham 300 & 600 perms
« Reply #55 on: 27 August, 2009, 01:11:03 pm »
Having had a late start to the season barely maintaining RRTY it was time attend to my SR bid for the season. I had ridden El's 400 a couple of weeks ago  (see up thread) and had a card for the 300 and so hatched a plan to complete an El Supremo Solo SR. I already had a 300 under my belt (Fairies Flattest) but the Hailsham 600 is made up of parts of the 300 & 400 so it made for advanced route checking. The 300 was ridden last week and went off without hitch or incident.
I sent off for the 600 card and duly received  same plus a route sheet and map of the section through Yate. Dave (Hudson) had suggested that a start/finish at Sutton Scotney would allow time for some sleep there (in car or tent - as I did last year) but I decided on the luxury option and booked in at the Travelodge for Saturday night (arriving straight from work at midnight) and Sunday night for the mid ride break. Having managed only one hour in the tent last year I did wonder at the value of this approach. Anyway, on arrival I raided the service station shop and found those breakfast cereal kits including cereal, milk and a folding spoon - brilliant. Added to this were croissants and Nurishment (brand) milk vitamin drinks. Two sets one for each of the next two mornings.
I got cracking  next morning just after eight (allowing sixteen hours for the first 300) and with a decent tailwind made good progress through a string of delightful villages and lanes. Climbing out of Marlborough the countryside opens out and you are left feeling like an ant crawling over a patchwork quilt. The weather was good with threatened showers in the west so I wanted to get in and out of Wales quickly. I didn't want a Severn Bridge closure to spoil things, especially if I was on the wrong side! The first leg to Leigh Delamere was 89k but I felt pretty good on arrival so I didn't hang around. Up to this point the roads had been remarkably smooth but a couple of kilometres into the Magor leg, the road entered an avenue of trees and descended sharply. I had just got my head down for a 'zoom' when I spotted the road surface. It looked as though the RAF had recently used it for bombing practice! Already moving at a fair lick I was obliged to hop over the central reservation of gravel onto the wrong side and shortly thereafter to hop back and avoid the oncoming blonde driven Audi TT coming the other way ... Well dodgy! (The road, that is!)
The big feature on the leg to Magor was the Severn Bridge. The last time I had made the crossing the weather was hideous but now it was pleasant and worthy of a photo stop. A couple of cyclists were on hand to do the honours. I nearly came unstuck nearer to Magor when I spotted a pub, which was mentioned on the route sheet at the next turn. Wrong pub, wrong turn but fortunately led back to the previous road where a little later the pub proper appeared, albeit now metamorphosed into an Indian /Thai restaurant. Onwards and into Magor services where the assistant was being interviewed by a policeman, about an earlier incident. Each question required monumental concentration on the part of the assistant and when his attention finally turned to me he asked, "any fiyuwell?" Obviously Welsh motorists have a habit of wearing lycra and cycling helmets! It wouldn’t have been quite so amusing but for the fact that Danial (Webb) had made a similar comment on Facebook about a photo which I had uploaded earlier.
It was warm and sunny now so I took a quick break for food. Tuna sandwich and milk (makes a change from energy drinks – learnt that one from Lurkio of this parish)
The return route to Leigh Delamere is a retrace and passing through Chipping Sodbury I spotted a 7/11 shop which took on the appearance of an Oasis so  I stopped for drinks.  My phone went. Text : El Supremo welcoming me back to Sutton Scotney (in a few hours) and the news that Mssrs Phipps & Philo had packed on their 600 attempt. Later, I had the opportunity to study the ‘bombsite’ just before Leigh Delamere. On closer inspection some of the darker patches were actually tarmac repairs but the general condition was (is) awful and left me wondering how I’d managed to get down it in one piece.
The next leg involved the tricky negotiation of Chippenham town centre with myriad mini roundabouts and a No Cycling section. The latter was easy as the restriction ended five minutes before I arrived  :smug:. The rest worked according to plan and I soon found myself climbing out of town on the A4. It’s a fair pull up the hill and on approaching the top I was quite slow and aware of a blue car close (but safe) behind. Just as I crossed the left turn at the top a silver estate cut right across me (right to left). He got both barrels of my available Anglo Saxon. I reckon he must have overtaken the blue car behind me including the traffic island (!) and not seen me (if at all) until too late. I was amazed how loud I could shout profanities while short of breath! Near miss No. 1.
After the climb up to Bishops Cannings there is a really nice section heading eastwards towards Pewsey with views of white horses and the like on hillsides. Daylight was fast running out so I kitted up with head-torch and put my gilet on. There wasn’t much in the way of night life yet but I did happen on one twit who having stopped at his T junction to turn right entering my road from the left, set off with such a rev on that, when he did see me and hit the brakes he skidded at least two feet. Given the weight of a Toyota Previa that must have taken some doing. He got the ‘stare’ as my head-torch tracked across his cabin.
No further incidents to report (on this leg anyway) and I arrived at Sutton Scotney at 11pm and the ensuing calculations suggested I might get quite a bit of sleep. I put the bike in the car, prepped for the next day and went to bed.
At 6:30 my phone went – Text: El Supremo “Good morning, Time Is Miles and all that …..”  ;D
I eventually got it all together and left at around eight. Not too stiff from the previous days effort, I soon got back into rhythm. It was cooler and mists were hanging in the dips to chill the bones but the hazy sun lightened the mood. A nice run to Midhurst with lanes and small villages: good start to the day.
The next section to Pycombe was more of the same with a few busier roads creeping in. There was gliding in progress at Parham (Storrington) and the village of Steyning was heaving with people. I have only ever passed through there ‘out of hours’ and it is surprising how much slower progress is when the place is occupied. Pycombe is, for the purposes of the ride, just another petrol station but they do stock plain sandwiches as opposed to the usual mayonnaise sandwiches with additional fillings, so a short break (shoes off) for food and a rest. Pycombe village itself is quite pretty but is at the top of nastily steep climb past the church so the screaming knees dull the appreciation!
Somewhere along the next leg I skipped a line / got confused and for some unaccountable reason ended halfway up Ditchling Beacon before I smelled a rat. Maybe I have been conditioned to expect El Supremo routes to follow every available ascent! After a swift U turn I was back en route and steadily encountering more and more traffic. Another food stop at Hellingly (sounds glamorous but it is a petrol station near Hailsham) and onwards to Buckbarn and the most unpleasant part of the ride.
It was home time in ‘Normal Land’ and everybody was keen to get home before everybody else. I just got my head down and pedaled. As I crossed the left turn to Lewes I was suddenly aware of the front of a car about to turn through me whilst braking hard. I had nowhere to go as there was a car waiting to turn out of the junction. As luck would have it I managed a quick shimmy around the two bonnets while resorting once again to ancestral language. Not the closest I have been (I have had a car brush my leg before) but uncomfortable. At least the driver looked as though he’d noticed what happened, judging by his white complexion. Just as I was thinking “well, everything goes in threes” and a little further along on a right hand bend, a car bonnet appeared with the cabin unsighted by bushes. No cars on my bit so he came straight out. More swearing! Apart from my brief outburst(s) I was unfazed by the incident(s) but I was genuinely relieved to arrive at the Buckbarn traffic lights signaling the end of the Rat Run. With hindsight, it was not a good time to be on that section. I have had similar unpleasantness before, when riding the A22 in the morning rush.
More food and drink (I wasn’t sure if the Sainsbury’s at Chichester would be open when I arrived) and onwards with much quieter roads now. I had forgotten to log onto Facebook and leave a message for Mrs C so I stopped at the next junction and did so. A text came in. El Supremo: “ Hope all is well, Buckbarn next I expect! … “ I‘m sure he runs Skynet!
At this point a cyclist arrived in full Rapha kit and on a smart bike and asked if I was ok. Then he spotted my Audax-badged pannier and we went into cycling speak. He’s doing the next 1066 ride so our paths may well cross again.
I saw a lot of cyclists throughout the ride and all but one waved or shouted hello. The one the didn’t could easily be forgiven as he was descending, white knuckled, at a speed where it was likely he was hanging on for dear life!
Chichester was reached just as the Sun was setting with a nice red sky, which I stopped to photograph – an early sign I was tiring and looking to climb off at every opportunity. The supermarket was open so I stocked up with water and prepared for night riding. One of the chaps who was generally sweeping up and shifting trolleys around, stopped to chat and as I left, called out, “You be careful, now!” . If only he knew!
After a long straight dash to Rowlands Castle and once away from the main roads, I stopped halfway up the hill into Clanfield at bus stop, which had seats and a light. One bite into my Bakewell tart and the phone went. Text: El Supremo “…. Take care in them lanes … “. I looked in the bushes for cameras! ;D
The next and final section was the slowest but probably the nicest. Absolutely quiet with almost no cars and the nightlife was active. I saw nearly everything but badgers and they may well have been the owners of bright eyes in the hedgerows. Owls (2 white, 1 grey) flew over the hedges. Mice scurried across the road. Foxes slunk around corners and rabbits bounced all over the place. Add to this a free firework display over Winchester as shooting stars crashed down through the atmosphere and it was altogether magical. Not only that, barring incidents, I was going to make it round in good time.
Arriving back at good ol’ Sutton Scotney, I got my receipt, thanked the Travelodge attendant (who had kindly let me leave my car on site) and let him know I was leaving.
Job done!
Add Hailsham 300, El’s 400 and a Dover Dash and you have:
One El Supremo Permanent SR, ridden solo!

Andy T-V

611km, 40hrs 30mins, 5936m climbing, 20,387 calories .... and 8hrs off the bike (mostly in bed!)

« Reply #56 on: 27 August, 2009, 03:17:10 pm »
Well done Andy, another SR to add to your collection.

AJB

« Reply #57 on: 27 August, 2009, 03:26:02 pm »
Andy,

Good write up and thanks for the PM.

I'm still planning on doing the ride this BH weekend, but starting from Hailsham. (I pass near my home on the Hailsham > Buckbarn stage, and with two more stages to get to Sutton Scotney I may be tempted to pack).

Booked into Travelodge at LD - just hope I have time to get some sleep, and it would be nice if the weather is better (dryer) than when I did El's 400 at the begining of August.

Anton

Martin

« Reply #58 on: 27 August, 2009, 09:08:52 pm »
well done Andy; anything more than a solo 300 is well beyond mere lazy sods mortals like me;

I've only just got into the relegation zone of El S's perm league table with a solitary DDD

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #59 on: 30 August, 2009, 04:55:22 pm »
Thanks, everybody! It was a good ride and my best performance yet. I hope Anton is doing ok. Starting from from Hellingly he will have been into wind for most of yesterday, though looking at the weather now, the same wind should be helping him home.

AJB

« Reply #60 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:46:49 am »
Yippee I've done it (subject to validation) completed my first 600 and a SR in my first Audax year.

he will have been into wind for most of yesterday, though looking at the weather now, the same wind should be helping him home.

Most of Saturday was hard going cycling into the wind and therefore I spent much longer at controls resting than I intended.

Even with a map I got hopelessly lost in Yate. Momentary lack of concentration and I ended up going towards Bristol. :-[

Note to self don't ask people at a Kebab Van or outside a pub for directions - they'll be wrong. I rejoined the route at R @ T/lts $ B4059, but for me it was L @ T/Lts having come from completely the wrong direction.

Managed to get a couple of hours sleep back at the LD Travelodge, once returned from Magor. Must be one of the most expenses 40 winks I've ever had.

Still had problems with the wind on the LD to SS and SS to Midhurst stages. I think the lay of the land played a part here. At least the tailwind help on the A272 stretch into Midhurst, and also the section between Bramber and Pyecombe, via Fulking.

The final stage between Pyecombe to Hailsham I flew. Maybe it was the sense of nearing the end, or trying to complete the ride within 40 hours. Most likely it was the tailwind and the energy drink consumed at the control kicking in.

I'll try and put together a more detail account of the ride later in the week.

Anton

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #61 on: 31 August, 2009, 10:58:17 am »
Well done Sir! and congratulations on your first SR. Splendid behaviour  ;D

Martin

« Reply #62 on: 31 August, 2009, 05:17:09 pm »
excellent  :thumbsup: well done.

see you for a nice wind down on the Island next week

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #63 on: 31 August, 2009, 06:41:56 pm »
Is this 600 route the same as the 2008 calendar event?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Martin

« Reply #64 on: 31 August, 2009, 06:47:13 pm »
Is this 600 route the same as the 2008 calendar event?

no; the calendar 600 now starts from Midhurst;

and it differs from the 2007 Hailsham 600 which was the Dungeness 300 and then a trip to Sutton Scotney and various lakes and back

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #65 on: 31 August, 2009, 08:31:47 pm »
Hellingly (Hailsham) - Buckbarn - Chichester- Sutton Scotney - Leigh Delamere - Magor - Leigh Delamere - Sutton Scotney - Midhurst - Pycombe - Hellingly. So, not completely the same but large chunks do feature. Sutton Scotney being the centre of a figure of eight allowed ne to start finish and sleep there.

AJB

Re: El Supremo events for 2009 - 600 Ride Report
« Reply #66 on: 01 September, 2009, 10:20:43 pm »
To avoid most of the traffic on the A272, I decided that an early start was called for, and opted to stay Friday night at the Hellingly Travelodge ready for a 06:00 departure. However, waking up early and wishing to get started I left shortly after 5am, having first got my Brevidence (a rather descriptive ‘word’ from El Supremo I believe) from the petrol station ATM.

The first stage was pleasant, with very little traffic all the way to Buckbarn. But as it got lighter, the westerly wind became more and more apparent, and contributed to a much slower speed than I planned for most of the ride. The wind was also chilly, resulting in me riding most of the day with arm and knee warmers, and my gillet until Chichester.

I didn’t hang around at Buckbarn. Just collected my brevidence from the ATM, since there was a large queue in the petrol station shop, and hit the road again. I wish I’d done this more often at the following controls.   At least part of the next stage is southerly, so no headwind and I got some protection from the westerly from hedges and woods. The fact that I spent most of this stage thinking about what I would have to eat for breakfast at the Chichester control helped the km’s quickly pass.

Unlike my previous visit (El Supremo’s Perm 400k) to Sainsbury’s Café, the service was much quicker this time around, and soon I was enjoying a bowl of porridge (smothered in Golden Syrup), followed by beans on toast, all washed down with a Cappuccino. I also treated myself to a custard tart. This was to be the first of many leisurely breaks at each control to eat & drink, take on water, rest, and ultimately faff.

The next stage to Sutton Scotney was relatively uneventful, and since no rain to mist up my glasses this time I was able to take in the countryside. The brewery I had seen previously in Horndean was Gales, but this time I noticed through clear glasses that it and its Brewery Shop had been boarded up. (A search of the web shows that Fullers took over Gales in 2005 and closed the Brewery in 2006 ).

Turning by The Rising Sun Inn towards East Meon, (sorry no idea of the village) I was greeted by a procession of vintage cars. For the next 3k, there was a steady stream of these cars coming down the hill. To judge by the noise and the frantic actions of one of the car’s driver, its brakes were not that efficient. I just hope that they managed to stop before reaching the T junction. Shortly afterwards I passed a disused MOD site (?), surrounded by a security fence and lots of signs naming the security company protecting it. The fact that one door to a large boarded up building appears to have been partly pulled from its hinges, made me think that the site is not that secure after all. Shortly after there followed a downhill, on a single track, towards the A34. It was great, especially with the oncoming cars all stopping, in various passing places, to let me through without me having to apply the brakes. At the bottom of this hill, just before the junction onto the A34, I remembered that the road surface was in a very bad state of repair. On the 400 I somehow managed to bounce through this section and stop at the junction – just. So forewarned I stopped well short and had a chance to look more closely at a road surface of broken/missing tarmac, compounded by a large amount of hill wash.

Having managed to get round Winchester’s one way system, following the “All traffic signs”, I was soon climbing out of the city towards the next control at Sutton Scotney.

I had planned, depending on time, to stop off to eat at one of the village pubs I would be passing on the next stage, but since receipts were unavailable at the petrol stations ATM I decided instead to buy a tuna sandwich and some water from the shop. For some reason the time on the till was set 15mins forward. Why I never asked. The opportunity to rest and eat also meant I had another opportunity to faff - by taking off knee warmers and repack my rack pack. It seemed a good idea at the time. Therefore I spend a lot longer at the control than I intended. Maybe I should have tried one of the village pubs?

The next stage, to Leigh Delamere, was the first of the two longest stages and passed through a number of picturesque villages, full of picture postcard thatched cottages. The stage also included a number of stretches through rolling farmland, which I found boring. The stage was also lumpy. Nothing in the direction I was going was too steep, just a number of long drags. At least I could enjoy some fast descents. The one’s after Great Bedwyn towards the A4 and then off the escarpment before Broad Hinton, being the most memorable.

The section along the A4 into Marlborough I found hard going. Mainly due to the headwind, but at least it ended with another fast descent into the town.
Finally I arrived at the next control at the Leigh Delamere services.  Since I had booked a room in the Travelodge that evening, I decided that would check in, dump the bike and then sort out an evening meal/restock supplies. Not the fastest service, but eventually I got a tuna panini melt, along with fish and chips with mushy peas (in place of beans on toast because they don’t do toast in the evening). These were soon consumed, except the fish that didn’t taste quite right.

Now it was time to get ready for the next stage, and a bit of night riding.  Arm warmers, leg warmers, gillet and headlight were soon on. I had also remembered to bring my long fingered gloves this time, unlike the 400 where my hands got cold. The biggest problem however was having a room in the Travelodge. I wasted more time – faffing.

Having been forewarned by Andy T-V (Cyklisten) I took it easy down the first slope shortly after leaving LD. Passing through Grittleton I noticed a very large and strange house, that appeared to have numerous buildings and structure attached to it. (Searching the web this may have been the back of Grittleton House built in the mid 19th C).

The route into Old Sodbury was soon descending and I remember thinking that later I would have to climb back up this.  Shortly after, I entered the wide high street of Chipping Sudbury. Being late Saturday evening it was time for me to start playing “Dodge the Drunks”. Luckily there were no collisions.

From Chipping Sodbury I entered Yate, and even with the map supplied with the route sheets by Dave Hudson, I got totally lost.

Arriving at a large set of traffic lights, expecting to turn right following a sign to A38 Thornbury, there was no such sign.  Believing I was still on the correct route, I made the mistake of asking some locals for help, instead of retracing my steps.  The first were a group of 20 Something’s waiting at a Kebab van, who among themselves confirm I was on the correct route. WRONG. Continuing on, down a hill, I soon arrived in a place called Nibley, well off the intended route. Asking a couple outside a PH for help again they confirmed I was on the right road.  WRONG. So I continued on before I met a middle aged couple out for a late evening walk, who quickly confirmed I was going the wrong way and also explained how to get back.  Shortly after leaving I remembered that my mobile includes Sat Nav, which confirmed I was now heading in the right direction, with several additional km’s to cover. Eventually I arrived at the junction noted on my route sheet, but from the opposite direction.

Lesson’s learnt:

1) Backtrack to the last know point on the route and
2) Don’t ask people who have been drinking for help. 

After this detour around Yate, I eventually arrived at the Severn Bridge, whose red lights could be seen for several miles getting closer and closer.   

Twenty km’s later I arrived at the Magor Services, and quickly obtained my Brevidence with the purchase of a cappuccino and flapjack. At least I was not asked, to quote Andy T-V "any fiyuwell?" 

Now being Sunday I didn’t hang around for a change, wishing to get back to LD for some sleep.

Retracing the route back to the Severn Bridge, I was expecting some problems with the hills I had descended coming. However, now having a tailwind helped me along at a faster pace than I expected, and soon I was seeing the lights of the bridge getting closer.

The route from the Severn Bridge to Yate was slightly different to the outward journey, and the route instruction to turn left at the top of Washingpool Hill Road should have forewarned me.  I’ve finally realised that when Dave includes the word ‘hill’ on the route sheet a low gear is called for.  I missed this hint and struggled up said hill in far too high a gear and admitted defeat just before reaching the top. (Having an old bike I was too busy holding the handle bars to reach down to the gear levers on the down tube.) After a relatively short break for a breather and a can of Red Bull I resume my journey towards Yate.

Taking the correct route this time I arrived at a large roundabout and understood now how I had got lost previously. So anyone wishing to do this ride in the future please remember that when in Yate on the Goose Green Way, you take the 3rd exit at the roundabout shortly after the Fox PH. NOT the second, unless you wish to go to Bristol.
By now I realised I would not be getting much sleep once I arrived back at the Travelodge, so I spent my time trying work out how much sleep I could have.  I never came up with an answer, sticking to my original plan of leaving at 06:00, but the mental arithmetic kept me awake to get back

Arriving at LD, I nearly forgot to obtain my Brevidence, being more in need of sleep. Unfortunately the services were busy with only a single person serving and it took a while to get my water and pots of yoghurt, and the all important till receipt.

Managing less than 2 hours of sleep, I finally rolled out of the Travelodge car park around 06:30. At least it was dawn, and I was greeted by a buzzard flying across my path, just before I recrossed the M4.

This stage back to Sutton Scotney, I found the hardest and came close to packing several times. Turning the pedals was hard work, and knowing the route, admittedly from a night ride on the 400, I was aware of the hills to come.  Getting through Chippenham was no problem and I then slowly made my way to Calne.

Naturally I looked forward to the downhills, a chance to rest, it was just the uphills I hated, and the one to Bishops Cannings would be soon.  Being early Sunday morning I started to meet a number of cyclists, or more correctly they met me when they overtook.  The Bishops Canning hill was easier than I expected, having selected a low(er) gear well before the start and keeping a regular tempo. What was I worrying about?

By Pewsey I had started to get the legs moving with a lot less effort, and with the sun making an appearance, started to feel much better.  During the ride into Pewsey I kept seeing warning and direction signs for a road race, but no sign of riders.  Arriving in Pewsey the lack of riders was obvious – I was too early since they were still in a local car park ready to start. But not all of them! I was delayed a couple of times getting through Pewsey while the local Carnival Committee strung lights across the main roads. At least I could walk along the pavement, unlike the cars stuck in a traffic jam coming into the town. A couple had road bikes on them. I wonder where they were going?

I was hoping the wind that had affected my ride yesterday would provide me some help today. Unfortunately it started to feel that each road I took was into the wind.  It may be due to the way that the land funnels the wind, but now realise it was a front and the start of a period of squally wet weather.

At least the rain had been short lived and not that heavy, and I eventually arrived at the next control in Sutton Scotney.

Except for yoghurt, I had not eaten much of a breakfast so decided to control at the Little Chef Services instead of the petrol station. The place was very busy, but I managed to get a table and quickly ordered a brunch – porridge with maple syrup, beans on toast and coffee. Okay there was an extra slice of toast, but compared to my first breakfast on this ride at the Chichester control significantly smaller portions. Cost at Chichester was £4.37 and it included a custard tart. Cost at Sutton Scotney was £8.87.  :(

Next stop the ATM at the Midhurst control.

I’d previously done the next stage on the 400, but in the dark, and at the time it was foggy and I had problem seeing the road with my glasses constantly steaming up. No problem this time and I enjoyed all the downhill encountered. I wonder if the hill leading down into Steep, gave it its name. At least I didn’t need to use the brakes so much this time  :)

Once I’d reached the A272, things started to lookup. A tailwind at last to help me along and I was soon in Midhurst. First stop an ATM to get some money and the all important Brevidence. Next, afternoon tea and cake, well coffee and cake and a short rest.

The next two stages I had only ridden the weekend before doing El Supremo’s Hailsham Liss Perm 200. I was also getting back onto familiar roads, and although within striking distance of home, confident of finishing my first 600k. The only stretch I was not looking forward to was that between Steyning and the control at Pyecombe. The undulating route I always found hard going, but not today with the tailwind, and I was soon at the penultimate control.

However, by now the body was starting to suffer and pressing down on the left pedal was becoming painful. Did I have hotfoot, something I’d heard other rides mention?

On arriving at the petrol station I quickly got some food, drink and the all important Brevidence.  I then removed my cycling shoes, stretched my toes and enjoyed my food. Bliss.  This did the trick.

With the last stage ahead I was for once organised and quickly got ready for some night riding.  No faffing this time. Maybe I’m getting the hang of this long distance riding. Or was it the lure of finishing?

A quick phone call to my wife to arrange for my lift home, and I was off for the last time.  I was on my local roads and know exactly the way back to Hailsham without the route sheet. It was at the start of this section that I encountered problems with passing cars. An incident on the A23 was causing southbound traffic to back up. This caused a queue of cars down Clayton Hill, trying to join the A23, and a constant stream of cars, getting off the A23 going up Clayton Hill – ALONG WITH ME. I lost count of the number of cars who squeezed past me on this seemingly wide road. At least the driver following me down the other side was courteous and hung well back to let me take the right turn.

By now I was flying, getting ever closer to the finish. Maybe it was the tailwind. Maybe it was the sports drink I’d had. Maybe it was the realisation that after Clayton Hill it was relatively flat all the way to Hellingly. Whatever the reason or reasons, 40 hours and 3 minutes since leaving the petrol station I was back at the ATM collecting my final Brevidence.  Job done :thumbsup:

Anton

621km (thanks to my Yate detour), 21976Kcal, Climbed no idea, Total time 40hrs 3 mins, Total time on bike 34 hrs 34mins, Total Time off bike 5hrs 29mins (1hr 49mins SLEEP)

My First SR Series consists of:
   Mar 2009 The Upper Tea 200
   Apr 2009 The Hailsham (Venta) 300
   Aug 2009 El Supremo’s Permanent 400
   Aug 2009 El Supremo’s Permanent 600

Cyklisten

• Cyklisten Online
« Reply #67 on: 02 September, 2009, 11:27:09 am »
Well done Anton!  :thumbsup: See you on Hengist's Hills

Martin

« Reply #68 on: 17 October, 2009, 12:52:48 am »
to confrim; El S is very happy for any of his events to be extended by the new Extended Calendar Events system; please include a note with your entry to denote if you are extending the ride, as a courtesy; he suggests arriving at least 30 min before the start time to take advantage of the usual facilities  :P

« Reply #69 on: 17 October, 2009, 01:08:03 am »
Total time 40hrs 3 mins

I do hope El Supremo doesn't specify a 15 Km/h minimum..

Well done though, and a great ride report.

Martin

« Reply #70 on: 17 October, 2009, 01:37:01 am »
Total time 40hrs 3 mins

I do hope El Supremo doesn't specify a 15 Km/h minimum..

all perms are allowed 14.3kph minimum; and if it's overdistance by 21km  that also incurs an extra time allowance so no worries on that score  :)

« Reply #71 on: 17 October, 2009, 12:27:11 pm »
A also completed my first SR this year and am now contemplating riding El supremos 1000 next year, probably June or July.

Anyone care to join me?

Martin

« Reply #72 on: 28 October, 2009, 12:27:43 am »
To close the points book for 2009 and use up an old card I've had for ages I did Hailsham - Liss 200 again today with Chris T; both of us had done before so we decided to reverse it; much nicer that way at this time of year as you get to see all the leaves lining the roads at the foot of the South Downs in full daylight. Truffles cafe in Steyning highly recommended. I suffered (riding with Chris, borked Audax bike so had to use the bitser and recovering from lurgy)

A lot of A272 but some very nice laney bits; best to avoid the rush hour if you can. And we avoided the first / last bit of the A22 by going via Lower Dicker and Arlington (where most of El S's coastal events initially go)

am going to take a punt on Buckbarn-Sutton-Scotney for the next go ; will be well impressed if it does that lovely hill down to Steep..

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #73 on: 28 October, 2009, 03:31:05 pm »
slightly off topic, but would the stollen and mince pie run in december be more forgiving in the hilly department or does Dave expect folks to working off all that sugar and fat?

I wrote it up in an issue of Arrivee earlier this year.  There's a couple of hills - I think this year he is running it in reverse so there will be a nice climb up from Hastings followed by a good descent towards Winchelsea - but nothing to worry about.  I rode it on a fixed last year, having never ridden fixed anywhere but in London before, and had very few problems.

The other point about ES rides that no one has mentioned in this discussion is that I have never, ever encountered an incorrect or ambiguous instruction on the route sheet.  I love 'em and only wish I lived nearer Hailsham so I could do more..
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #74 on: 28 October, 2009, 03:39:24 pm »
The other point about ES rides that no one has mentioned in this discussion is that I have never, ever encountered an incorrect or ambiguous instruction on the route sheet.  I love 'em and only wish I lived nearer Hailsham so I could do more..
Midhurst 600, 10pm, less-than-modest ascent in South Wales:

"R at X after steep climb" : the 'R' took you immediately up an even steeper climb.

(I don't think I had any other complaints about the entire route!)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles