Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1602369 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #8750 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:42:21 am »
Funnily enough, we were discussing the role of Greek mythology in European culture and therefore in education, last night. I expressed surprise that our son's homework for the Polish Saturday school he attends was about Hades(!) rather than anything, well, Polish, to Mrs Cudzo it was obvious.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8751 on: 24 March, 2017, 10:18:43 am »
I've just received an email in German addressed to me and 22 others from someone who appears to be a teacher in Luzern, Switzerland. I've never even been to Switzerland. I guess it's a .com/.co.ch or similar error. It doesn't seem to be spam. At least, not deliberately. But I'm glad to learn that Frau Erni's Praktikum was a success and I'm sure the kids are looking forward to "Projekt Prometeus" on Monday and Tuesday. It sounds fun with a name like that!

Theresa May not being Swiss they're presumably not going to be chained to rocks with vultures gnawing at their little livers.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8752 on: 24 March, 2017, 03:24:25 pm »
The substance I purchased as a 'Sink Unblocker' has now been rebadged as an 'Odour Eliminator'.
I suppose this is an admission that successive weakening of a product to ensure idiots don't injure themselves has now ensured we buy ineffective wares of merely cosmetic use.

I think I'll get some Proper Strong Chemicals from somewhere next...

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8753 on: 24 March, 2017, 04:39:21 pm »
The substance I purchased as a 'Sink Unblocker' has now been rebadged as an 'Odour Eliminator'.
I suppose this is an admission that successive weakening of a product to ensure idiots don't injure themselves has now ensured we buy ineffective wares of merely cosmetic use.

NaOH. Available from a horrible market near you. (Hmm, I wonder if they can do online shopping for that).
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8754 on: 24 March, 2017, 08:18:20 pm »

NaOH. Available from a horrible market near you. (Hmm, I wonder if they can do online shopping for that).

Sainsbury's don't stock NaOH.

I last bought that from Boots, which has become the Burnt Oak Pharmacy and probably won't have it.

« Reply #8755 on: 24 March, 2017, 08:23:04 pm »

I last bought that from Boots, which has become the Burnt Oak Pharmacy and probably won't have it.

We find HG products effective. Available from all good hardware stores, and Amazon.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8756 on: 24 March, 2017, 08:27:47 pm »
B&Q and Homebase sell HG.

I'll try these, thanks!

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #8757 on: 24 March, 2017, 08:40:23 pm »

Soda Crystals  can be obtained from many branches of Waitrose.    Don't ask for caustic soda, you'll get blank looks from the toddlers they employ these days.  :)  Up to you whether you tip them straight down the drain or make up a conc. sol'n.

FWIW Mr. Muscle drain unblocker (orange container) stills seems to be quite effective.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8758 on: 24 March, 2017, 08:48:38 pm »
Note that soda crystals are not the same as caustic but can be employed for some similar uses.

(ETA I'm sure that Helly knows this already) :)
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8759 on: 24 March, 2017, 08:56:54 pm »
That orange Mr Muscle is fair but needs HOT water, which is not easy since the new boiler needs to run LOTS of cold before the water is halfway hot, wasting   the product.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #8760 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:10:42 pm »

H2SO4 - much more effective if 1) your sink will take it and 2) the plumbers merchant will sell it to you  - I found out that many won't these days due to oiks throwing it at people
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8761 on: 24 March, 2017, 09:19:04 pm »
I might use HCl aka Harpic toilet cleaner with care...

fuzzy

« Reply #8762 on: 25 March, 2017, 08:06:18 pm »
My hardware store sells me 'Spirit of Salts'. The sort of place that the Fork Handles sketch represented :thumbsup:

« Reply #8763 on: 26 March, 2017, 10:55:39 pm »

Wilkinson's stocked it, last time I looked. I have 500g under the sink, replacing the lot I just finished. A 500g pack lasts a while.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #8764 on: 28 March, 2017, 09:25:07 pm »
A valve on my amp has died, so I'm having to listen to music on the Mac, until I can get around to buying & fitting a spare :-(

Ah, that's better..... Mr Cohen sounding like he's in my living room.

Only problem is, Google searches for "Svetlana, best price" seem to have resulted in some extremely odd emails...... :jurek:

Sadly after a week of listening something went flash/bang and there was a nasty smell.  Taking the bottom off revealed a small, dented cylindrical metal object rattling around inside.   I took it into work today for a courier to take back to the manufacturer in St Neots for some TLC.

Carrying a very large box which must weigh 25kg down 8 flights of stairs was not fun... :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #8765 on: 29 March, 2017, 12:40:47 pm »
Carrying a very large box which must weigh 25kg down 8 flights of stairs was not fun... :facepalm:

I reckon it won't be long before someone invents a way of building one of those without the need for all that glass and High Tension Voles.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8766 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:53:23 am »
My main pension scheme only accords the right to a pension once every quarter.  Two weeks back they asked me for a particular certificate from a subsidiary scheme. I got in contact with that lot immediately by phone and explained why, with 31st March looming, the need was urgent. "OK, we'll get right on it." It arrived on Saturday, so now I can wait until July to see the money coming in - assuming, of course, that on 23rd June they don't start asking for more bum fodder. Sod 'em all.

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8767 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:55:39 am »
My lawn looks a mess. I need a new mower. Its' blades are nearly as sharp as your average duvet and it's worse than a teenager for not picking up after itself.

Spring=Expense

Boo chiz
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

« Reply #8768 on: 03 April, 2017, 11:16:47 am »
Lawnmower blades can usually be sharpened with a file.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

Guy

• Retired
« Reply #8769 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:15:57 pm »
Lawnmower blades can usually be sharpened with a file.

Only so many times thobut*, and that still wouldn't fix the problem of it no longer tidying-up after itself. Deffo time for a new one

*Trufax borne out by yers-an-yers-an-yers of doing same
"The Opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject"  Marcus Aurelius

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #8770 on: 03 April, 2017, 11:37:25 pm »
Cycling home today, I wanted to change radio stations (I have ear phones in, connected to my phone, which resides in my jersey pocket).  Two clicks on the mic switch advances me to the next station. click-click and away from Radio 4 to BBC London.  Didn't like that, so click click and what's this I can hear?  Nigel sodding oxygen thief Farage. It seems he has a regular spot on LBC (a station I very rarely listen to).  I had to have a good wash when I got in.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #8771 on: 04 April, 2017, 01:39:31 am »
Both Farrago and Hatey Cockpins have regular slots on LBC, to make up for that subversive leftie codswallop spouted by James O'Brien, unless it's the other way round.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #8772 on: 04 April, 2017, 08:33:32 am »
LBC is the radio station of choice for London taxi drivers. If you're like me, you'll ask them to turn it off, and enjoy the rather icy silence left in its wake. Trust me, it's preferable.

At home, you have no idea my reaction time when I hear Farage, Trump, or May on the radio or TV. I can react in microseconds and shut that shit off. Boris can't even squeeze his first mumble out.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8773 on: 04 April, 2017, 09:59:09 am »
Today I shall not grumble. Today I shall not grumble. Today I shall not grumble. Today I shall not grumble.  Ah, fuck it.

« Reply #8774 on: 04 April, 2017, 10:28:15 am »
Whichever pencil-fairy conceived this ridiculously-shaped building that I'm trying to size steelwork for must have been totally on crack.  >:(