Author Topic: Dr's note for Marmotte Sportive.  (Read 6194 times)

lord hereford

• Chapeau!
Dr's note for Marmotte Sportive.
« on: 08 May, 2012, 04:23:31 pm »
Can any one on here help?
Does anyone have any experience of what constitutes a Dr's note stating that I am of sound mind (Hmm) and body that the organisers of the Marmotte are asking for?
I've just spoken to my GP's surgery and they said they can give me a copy of my medication -i.e. none, so that I have a clean bill of health on paper. But not sure that is enough for rabid French bureaucracy?!
Can I pay for my GP to do a health check and how much does that cost?

Yours, Lord H
"Mister Zoot Horn Rollo, hit that long lunar note,
and let it float. " - Don Van Vliet, R.I.P.

Re: Dr's note for Marmotte Sportive.
« Reply #1 on: 08 May, 2012, 04:32:27 pm »
My doctor simply asked me if I thought I was healthy enough to take part. I said yes, so she wrote a letter to that effect,saying she "saw no reason why I shouldn't take part". She didn't list my medication or do a proper health check. I had to pay £15.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: 08 May, 2012, 04:54:25 pm »
I wouldn't worry about it so much.  We've got plenty of people on here with a PhD...  ::-)

I distinctly recall one particular doctor's note for PBP which wasn't written by a real, live medical doctor.

*hides white coat behind back*
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #3 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:09:40 pm »
They will stop you riding without a suitable certificate, but there's usually some flexibility about what exactly it says. If you had a crash and needed medical treatment etc then the insurance might well check that you had the correct documentation.

A British Cycling (UCI) racing licence is acceptable as an alternative (every other country needs a valid medical examination to get a licence, so they think it's the same for us). An LVRC or TLI licence isn't acceptable.

Something like this is what you might need, (but check Marmotte site as well), signed by your doctor.

http://www.irbms.com/rubriques/DOCUMENTS/certificat-medical-sport-competition.pdf

« Reply #4 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:12:09 pm »

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #5 on: 08 May, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »
They will stop you riding without a suitable certificate, but there's usually some flexibility about what exactly it says. If you had a crash and needed medical treatment etc then the insurance might well check that you had the correct documentation.

A British Cycling (UCI) racing licence is acceptable as an alternative (every other country needs a valid medical examination to get a licence, so they think it's the same for us). An LVRC or TLI licence isn't acceptable.

Something like this is what you might need, (but check Marmotte site as well), signed by your doctor.

http://www.irbms.com/rubriques/DOCUMENTS/certificat-medical-sport-competition.pdf

No they won't, they will just register you as a Randoneur (I think)

« Reply #6 on: 08 May, 2012, 06:50:31 pm »
The one on the official Etape site looks like this

http://www.letapedutour.com/ET1/docs/CertificatMedical_GB.pdf

My doctor said she would cross out the word "examination" and insert "medical records" and charge me £20. To keep the form unaltered would cost me £120 for the privilege.

Does anyone see me having problems with the altered wording version or suggest an alternative?

Thanks

« Reply #7 on: 08 May, 2012, 07:25:38 pm »

No they won't, they will just register you as a Randoneur (I think)

Sorry, but yes they will. This event is part of the Grand Trophee series, and is run by Sportcommunication. They also run the Ronde Picarde. A couple of years ago some club-mates went to sign on for this, (they were pre-entered), didn't have medical certificates and licences, and were turned away with very short shrift.

You are right in that a much shorter "amateur participation" type ride may be offered, but this will be much shorter, and not carry the same title or awards. I think, for the Marmotte, this is a 13km hill climb - not quite the Marmotte you travelled half way over Europe for!

« Reply #8 on: 08 May, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »
http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/pdf/certificatgb.pdf

I've had a hunt about, and this is the Sportcommunication form; just get your Dr to sign it.

I did find out that there is a Randoneur group as well, but I think that that as well will need a cert. (see Charlttes comments above re PBP). Apparently, it's French law (not the organisers) that says that participants in sporting events must present a certificate.

« Reply #9 on: 08 May, 2012, 07:45:17 pm »
The one on the official Etape site looks like this

http://www.letapedutour.com/ET1/docs/CertificatMedical_GB.pdf

My doctor said she would cross out the word "examination" and insert "medical records" and charge me £20. To keep the form unaltered would cost me £120 for the privilege.

Does anyone see me having problems with the altered wording version or suggest an alternative?

Thanks

Pragmatically I can't see a problem. It's in English, and there's no guarantee they're going to read it. Fold it up a bit, and present it a bit rumpled with GREAT CONFIDENCE - this seems in my experience to be important. "Ici Monsiour/Madame/Mademoiselle" etc. If it's signed and stamped I'm confident that you'll be fine.
If you ask if it's ok, then that's when they start to pass it from person to person, and the questions start (not my experience, but I've watched enough UK riders make a pig's ear of it and end up not riding what they wanted to ride).

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #10 on: 09 May, 2012, 07:52:41 am »

Pragmatically I can't see a problem. It's in English, and there's no guarantee they're going to read it. Fold it up a bit, and present it a bit rumpled with GREAT CONFIDENCE - this seems in my experience to be important. "Ici Monsiour/Madame/Mademoiselle" etc. If it's signed and stamped I'm confident that you'll be fine.
If you ask if it's ok, then that's when they start to pass it from person to person, and the questions start (not my experience, but I've watched enough UK riders make a pig's ear of it and end up not riding what they wanted to ride).

Remember though, when you do that if they say "Good Luck" you must pretend not to understand

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/o0wNl66tT3Q&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/o0wNl66tT3Q&rel=1</a>
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #11 on: 10 May, 2012, 07:59:26 pm »
lord hereford,
I got a doctor's note without charge from my NHS GP.  We came up with the following wording during the 15 minute consulation where he took my blood pressure and asked me if I did much cycling:

Dear Mr Brymbo,
I can confirm that you are fit to take part in the Cyclosportives et Grand Trophee event in July 2008.

There are no contra-indications for you to take part in a cycling competition for the next year.

As you can see, the note was addressed to me.  It was printed on the practice's stationery, bearing their name etc.  If you want to see a scanned PDF copy then pm me with your email address.

I replied to the "Grand Trophee Inscription/Registration" email I received from sportcommunication with the scanned PDF and this text, signed off with my name and dossard (entry number):

Bonjour,

Je vous envoi mon certificat médical en pièce jointe de ce mail.

En espérant le bonne réception de celui-ci.

A bientôt

I then took the original document with me and showed it when registering in person in Alpe d'Huez the day before the event.

Maybe over the top, but I'm a bit of a fretter and prefer both belt and braces.
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

« Reply #12 on: 29 May, 2012, 07:13:04 pm »
Well I've now got my certificate signed and stamped, the cost? £0.00, free!!! The doctor I saw has been on the GB triathlon squad and he was clearly more than happy to take my word that I'd been cycling for 20 years, done over 350 time trials and plenty of long rides and just check my heart beat and my blood pressure.

So the moral of the story is, find yourself and sporty GP. Needless to say I left the surgery with forms to transfer there.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #13 on: 30 May, 2012, 03:05:07 pm »

So the moral of the story is, find yourself and sporty GP. Needless to say I left the surgery with forms to transfer there.

I need a medical cert for a ride I'm doing this summer. My new GP's name is Chris Boardman. Unfortunately (for my purposes). judging from the letters after his name, his interests are gynecology and reproductive health.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #14 on: 31 January, 2017, 01:24:35 pm »
Massive bump:

http://quebrantahuesos.com/

Got a place in this sportive but need to provide a medical form. I know about this place: http://www.cyclosport.org/uploads/CyclosportMedicalCertificate.pdf

but is there any other places I can get one?